Accurate 3D models of Warthog gimbals

Announced in Il-2(ru) forum - flea market (need loguin) - Bronze "Articulation Sphere".

Art_Sphere.jpgimage hosting over 5mb

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/5297-sharnir-dlya-vartoga/

2.000 Rubles/pc

I am about to start making metal articulation spheres as well, though I am going to make one small modification... include the relief for the wire pass-through on both sides of the slot, this way no one can accidentally install it backwards and pinch wires.

I need them as replacements to accommodate the twist axis stem I'm working on. Good to know there are purchasable options in the meantime.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone done Right? Where I can buy

I am about to start making metal articulation spheres as well, though I am going to make one small modification... include the relief for the wire pass-through on both sides of the slot, this way no one can accidentally install it backwards and pinch wires.

I need them as replacements to accommodate the twist axis stem I'm working on. Good to know there are purchasable options in the meantime.

Look what they told me.

We can supply only the spare parts shown in the attached image. They are part of the spherical joint. In addition to these components, we can only help you to acquire a new cylindrical base.

The price of the ball is 28 euro, shipping charges included - only available through our European warehouse.

We are waiting for your answer.

To ensure the most efficient monitoring of your query, respond directly to this email (do not open a new ticket).

Regards,

Thrustmaster Customer Support

For this price is it better to ask for bronze ? Where can I buy it?

Edited by bacana.luke

Bacana.Luke

This bronze model posted above was announced in "flea" market in IL-2 Russian Forum, but latter the seller cancel the announce, seems the manufactured balls end misaligned.

For now your best and less expensive option is buy new "articulation sphere" from Thrustmaster, 28 Euros with shipping is good deal.

If you "articulation sphere" is broken, but the magneto tower in upper part is fine, get the sphere.

In this ~6 year of TmW life no one find/offer a better alternative for their bad gimbal.

The only viable alternative is replace the entire base by one with gimbal all in metal, bearings, CAM center, like VKB "Next Gen", or Baur BRD's - what make you loose TARGET compatibility at least for X, Y axis (minor inconvenient), options that cost more (~250$ for VKB Gunfighter base, with electronics) and Baur models starting at ~100$ (without electronics).

Edited by Sokol1_br

Bacana.Luke

This bronze model posted above was announced in "flea" market in IL-2 Russian Forum, but latter the seller cancel the announce, seems the manufactured balls end misaligned.

For now your best and less expensive option is buy new "articulation sphere" from Thrustmaster, 28 Euros with shipping is good deal.

If you "articulation sphere" is broken, but the magneto tower in upper part is fine, get the sphere.

In this ~6 year of TmW life no one find/offer a better alternative for their bad gimbal.

The only viable alternative is replace the entire base by one with gimbal all in metal, bearings, CAM center, like VKB "Next Gen", or Baur BRD's - what make you loose TARGET compatibility at least for X, Y axis (minor inconvenient), options that cost more (~250$ for VKB Gunfighter base, with electronics) and Baur models starting at ~100$ (without electronics).

The drawback of using alternate gimbals is not being able to use TARGET anymore because they can't use the same sensor/board, which is why I'm working on my own gimbals that will be able to use them. Essentially the same mechanisms as will be found on Gunfighter, just mutated to the form factor that allows the awkward kinematics of the mx sensor.

IMO until I start making metal articulation spheres the best option is likely to have one printed from Shapeways using the file that is floating around, it will be cheaper than paying TM shipping and the part will be stronger.

Interesting about the bronzes not fitting, I'm pretty sure I know why if that was the case. They probably used an actual TM part to take molds from, which does not account for the fact that metal shrinks considerably (as does a wax pattern if they were making waxes, as does the rubber mold you make patterns from). The collective shrink of your entire process needs to be accounted for when casting metal pieces that are to cooperate with existing components, and even then there will be some trial/error because the shrinkage is hard to precisely predict and consistently control. This is why cast parts are almost always cast oversized and machined to tolerance on the critical dimensions, though not necessary for the spheres if done sensibly.

This is literally my next order of affairs though... making metal articulation spheres, in pewter if I can get away with it, meaning when the articulation sphere is no longer the 'weak link' in the chain. I expect the next location to break to be the web inside the bell where the magnet is mounted, but I expect it will take considerable force to do so, well beyond what a gorilla overtightening an extension would generate.

• 2 months later...

Any update on this? I just broke my second sphere and emailed support to order another one. A bit sick of this...

I have a 3D printer and can print temp. replacements if someone has a CAD file of the sphere? (I tried the IL2 forum but that thread isn't there anymore and I can't read Russian lol).

Thanks

Tim

System: Win10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 MB, Intel i& 8700K, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 16GB, PNY NVidia 1070 GTX, Corsair MP500 & MP600 SSD, Soundblaster Audigy Rx, CM Mastercase H500P, Oculus Rift S, TM Warthogs.

In local forum a guy order in Shapeways 3Dprinted in "white strong & flexible plastic (polished)" Nylon, based on "Articulation Sphere" Russian drawings linked before in this topic. Cost 5$.

Don't know if work in practice, their linked pictures don't work anymore, anyway:

https://scontent.fcpq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17578016_1291565937601190_1554028298_n.jpg?oh=0005a06fcbfc094bf07d7f48f125e13e&oe=58E25C36

https://scontent.fcpq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17619482_1291565900934527_1609268410_n.jpg?oh=805265e11dfdb3fca6b7a8d589420860&oe=58E2467A

https://scontent.fcpq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17554715_1291565874267863_643280625_n.jpg?oh=aad621f3ecb2c2ef037d22cd0e20194f&oe=58E262EB

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 6 months later...
Any update to these spheres?

Can't speak about the bronze ones that are no longer available, but I'll be getting the printer I need soon to be able to r&d exactly how much oversized I need to model them to account for the shrinkage of the pewter I'll be casting them in to end up the proper final dimensions. No eta yet, but it is something that will be happening in the near(ish) future.

Any update to these spheres?

Not really, still in the same situation of 2015, if someone has tried make/print the gimbal don't post feedback and so people prefer don't risk in try and continue buy the replacement piece from Thrustmaster or buy a new Warthog... and

. :joystick:
Edited by Sokol1_br

• 2 months later...

I took the Sphere.step file available on the Russian Il-2 forums and uploaded it to Sculpteo. They have metal 3D printing options, specifically Binder Jetting in Steel/Bronze with a Polished finish for $24. Will this adversely effect the hall sensor? They can do a full bronze casting but it will cost over $200.

If the steel/bronze is a no-go, what process and plastic do you recommend?

Thanks!

I took the Sphere.step file available on the Russian Il-2 forums and uploaded it to Sculpteo. They have metal 3D printing options, specifically Binder Jetting in Steel/Bronze with a Polished finish for $24. Will this adversely effect the hall sensor? They can do a full bronze casting but it will cost over $200.

If the steel/bronze is a no-go, what process and plastic do you recommend?

Thanks!

Can you pm me the file? I had it at one point but can't find it and I don't have an IL2 account and need it for my own projects. I finally got a proper resin printer and am going to explore how much oversize I need to print it so it will be the right size after cast pewter cools (3-5% or so). I do investment casting and that would be a waste of energy/materials/resources to cast them this way. Pewter can be cast in rubber molds and will be much stronger than the original plastic, no need for exotic metals here but ABS is clearly insufficient.

Steel will likely interfere with the MX sensor, it's pretty sensitive and much more subject to magnetic noise than other Halls I've worked with. I'd stick to non ferrous options.

• 5 weeks later...
In local forum a guy order in Shapeways 3Dprinted in "white strong & flexible plastic (polished)" Nylon, based on "Articulation Sphere" Russian drawings linked before in this topic. Cost 5$.

Don't know if work in practice, their linked pictures don't work anymore, anyway:

https://scontent.fcpq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17578016_1291565937601190_1554028298_n.jpg?oh=0005a06fcbfc094bf07d7f48f125e13e&oe=58E25C36

https://scontent.fcpq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17619482_1291565900934527_1609268410_n.jpg?oh=805265e11dfdb3fca6b7a8d589420860&oe=58E2467A

https://scontent.fcpq1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/17554715_1291565874267863_643280625_n.jpg?oh=aad621f3ecb2c2ef037d22cd0e20194f&oe=58E262EB

Hey guys, i'm the guy that got the 3d printed sphere from shapeways. Here are some pictures:

ZRRRDdi.jpg

hpL6P7G.jpg

OIPH7EJ.jpg

Anyway, i still haven't tried installing it. But, i recently ordered some nyogel 767a, and as soon at it arrives i'll be regreasing my stick and trying the new sphere.

Ryzen 5 3600x @ GTX 1070 on Samsung Odyssey+

:joystick:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have the CAD file for the gimbal (articulation sphere) that they could pm me? My gimbal also broke. I was looking on shapeways but they do not have the design. I’m curious. Will their plastic be rugged enough?

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2460123&postcount=5

The file name is in Cyrillic, after extract the file - rename for Sphere... Gimbal...

Ah thanks, I thought the link was dead, I didn't realize I had to log in.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

• 2 weeks later...

Shapeways 3d Printed

I finally got my 3d printed gimbal in the Hog It took some sanding and filing, but it works like new.

https://imgur.com/a/vxE98

D18KjbE.jpg

All greased up and ready to go!