Nvidia Slowly Becoming a Monopoly?

Nooch

AMD will be stuck in the mid range with their polaris cards for years. We have more rumors of 7nm versions now. I wanted one large AMD GPU for my red build but I was forced to opt NVIDIA.

attachment.php?attachmentid=194381&stc=1&d=1537560366

IMG_20180921_210402.thumb.jpg.c5a33d0c589bab7d4dea66cf556780da.jpg

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

AMD could prevent this, but they choose to build inferior hardware and write second rate drivers instead.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

:)

Choose not to?

Certainly they cant match Nvidia at the high end, nor in R+D or prob software. But saying they choose not to is akin to saying India (or most other countries) choose not to match the USA in their space programs. There is no choice. But they do well with what they have.

Before I get flamed my last 2 cards are Nvidia. My enjoyment of DCS trumps any idealism I have about video card makers. But lets not bash AMD unnecessarily.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Kind of makes me think of this... Of course we're not there yet but in a few years, who knows...

Nvidia are not becoming a monopoly. They are at the moment outclassing the opposition. Therefore the opposition are failing to compete with Nvidia.

Any other perspective is the application of false logic.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Nvidia are not becoming a monopoly. They are at the moment outclassing the opposition. Therefore the opposition are failing to compete with Nvidia.

Any other perspective is the application of false logic.

Sadly this is true imho.

AMD needs to invest more to compete. They have clearly shown they can with CPU's, so let's hope their 7nm thing will be competitive.

Those Ryzen are the best that happened last 2 years, tho I run an Intel.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

they can only invest what they have or can borrow. which isn’t much.

if you don’t invest, who will?

When you buy a car (or most anything else), do you buy the second best in the hopes that the company will eventually produce a better product?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There's fierce competition in the car world which serves consumers quite well.

Well yes the customer generally benefits from competiton. But if one competitor completely drops the ball it’s not reasonable to expect people to buoy them up out of charity. AMD has just failed to keep up. The market would be better served if they did but they haven’t.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I dunno, before 1080Ti I had Fury X which was amazing GPU back when released. I also have in a secondary PC RX 480. I cant recall having any major issues with drivers for ... years. Really, its Nvidia drivers that give me a headache this days.

As for supposedly inferior hardware ... whats the difference ? There were periods when AMD/ATI was superior to Nvidia and for many years they were on par with their GPU's. Were people buying them ? Not even close in numbers to Nvidia.

People only want AMD to release new high end hardware to make Nvidia cut prices so they can get Nvidia hardware.

Personally I think AMD is not coming back to super high end. New RTG leader said they want to, but doesnt seem like a reasonable move to invest so much when chances of competing with Nvidia in sales of high end market are none.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

they can only invest what they have or can borrow. which isn’t much.

if you don’t invest, who will?

I have ! God knows I have !! LoL

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I dunno, before 1080Ti I had Fury X which was amazing GPU back when released. I also have in a secondary PC RX 480. I cant recall having any major issues with drivers for ... years. Really, its Nvidia drivers that give me a headache this days.

As for supposedly inferior hardware ... whats the difference ? There were periods when AMD/ATI was superior to Nvidia and for many years they were on par with their GPU's. Were people buying them ? Not even close in numbers to Nvidia.

People only want AMD to release new high end hardware to make Nvidia cut prices so they can get Nvidia hardware.

Personally I think AMD is not coming back to super high end. New RTG leader said they want to, but doesnt seem like a reasonable move to invest so much when chances of competing with Nvidia in sales of high end market are none.

+ 1

Used to have 3Dfx cards, nVidia after that but at some point i had an ATI X800 because they could compete with what nVidia had at that moment.

Best card i ever had performance wise. Replaced it when it couldn't keep up with the software anymore and because nVidia gave a higher FPS rate compared to the then new ATI's, went for nVidia again.

But the only advantage nVidia gave was a higher FPS rate, all the rest sucked (more jaggies, more flickering, less nicer colour pallet etc....).

The big problem is that if you want some detail in your flightsim and want to keep the FPS up (in CRT monitor era this was less important) the only road is nVidia. But if AMD would come with an on par card, i would directly switch.

It's another reason why i keep my old monitor for now. I'm keen on a G_Sync / FreeSync but i'm only willing to cash out if there's a monitor out on the market that supports both. I'm not buying a G-Sync to be stuck with nVidia then... and that's only because of my positive experience with that one AMD card.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

There's fierce competition in the car world which serves consumers quite well.

See how your argument completely misses the point?

I see you ignored the 'anything else' part. The argument is spot on. You seem to be saying that there is not 'fierce' competition in the GFX card market. If that is the case then that means that AMD hasn't the desire, or the ability, to compete.

Edited by cichlidfan

I see you ignored the 'anything else' part. The argument is spot on. You seem to be saying that there is not 'fierce' competition in the GFX card market. If that is the case then that means that AMD hasn't the desire, or the ability, to compete.

I think it is extremely unlikely that Radeon doesn't "want" to compete. Safe to say, they don't have the ability to knock Nvidia off the gold medal tier, but perhaps in time this will change, who knows?

I think it is extremely unlikely that Radeon doesn't "want" to compete. Safe to say, they don't have the ability to knock Nvidia off the gold medal tier, but perhaps in time this will change, who knows?

It would certainly be good for everyone if they got their act together.

The longer they fail to offer serious choices to the consumer though, the harder it will be to pull back.

This is because of a little thing called brand loyalty. As new PC builders come along and have little choice but to choose Nvidia products, they will tend to gravitate towards Nvidia products on their next build too, and maybe the one after that until something radical comes along to break the cycle.

As a youth I had brand loyalty to Yamaha motorcycles and 2 strokes in particular, then I started with on road machines above 750cc and 4 stroke. I then switched allegiance to Honda as they were renowned to be the best 4 stroke bikes at that time, and never looked back.

It took a quantum jump to get me off small (sub 400cc), high performance 2 strokes and buy into Honda.

This is what is happening in the GPU market at the moment. We call them fanbois and it will be hard for AMD to make them switch allegiance.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

AMD is designing a new GPU arch codenamed Arcturus for consumers in 2020 to succeed VEGA on 7nm+. NAVI is for deeplearning and the only thing AMD has for gaming until Arcturus is a12nm version of polaris. So don't hold your breath.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

This industry is filled with 'can't be defeated" products/companies that went poof. Just off the top of my head, dBase, Lotus 123, WordPerfect come to mind. I was a huge ATI/3DFX fan back in the days. They stopped innovating so I jumped ship to Nvidia. If AMD makes a comeback, I'll switch again.

But it's harder for an ancillary product (GPU is not AMD's primary focus) to compete with purpose built company - one with a head start no less.

But I vote with my wallet so we'll see. Competition only helps us.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I honestly believe if Company XYZ came up with something that blows any Nvidia card off the table then Nvidia wouldnt sell a single card 1 year after that day, that's how agile this market is, not only the products come and go fast, also the customer is willing and also educated by this whole industry to change and adopt quickly. Nvidia could be so much 2018 in 2020, it just needs a hot product with another name and Nvidia sinks like a stone. I dont think anyone would buy a lesser product, no, they dont, look AMD, they dont, they buy Nvidia today. But tomorrow is a different story.