Is the Stennis model too small?

Bankler

Inspired by Matt Geders' presentation of the problems he had with the getting the glideslope/meatball/etc math right, I decided to measure the Stennis model.

I don't really have a scientific way of doing this. Even if I'd extract the model I wouldn't know for sure if 1 unit in the game engine equals 1 meter and such.

But, according to the the almighty Wikipedia, the Stennis deck should be 332.8m (1092 feet). An F/A-18 should (according to the same lovely source) be 17.1m (I assume this is from nose to the rear-most point right between the horizontal stabs).

So, I decided to put a bunch of static F/A-18:s on deck and see how many I could fit. I could fit 19. And then I even packed them nose-to-exhause (yuck!), effectively making them slightly shorter than 17.1m (right?).

332.8 / 17.1 = 19.46. Meaning if I should have around a half plane length over, after putting 19 in there. So, around 8-10 meters short?

Please tell me I'm doing this completely wrong, and that the boat is as long as it should be, so my super-nerd-me can breath again. :lol: :book:

StennisSizeMissionEditor.thumb.PNG.db1f2e15630460a0b7d19e8bb84dbea2.PNG

StennisSizeInGame.thumb.PNG.353ba3481d093d3b20361eb361465fb1.PNG

Deck_Layout.thumb.png.6bb29ee0a2ee073af4c701694fa70fb9.png

I used to think the same thing but when you place deck crew on the deck, everything seems proportionate.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Also, it could be the other way too. If you use the model of an F18.

That model may not be the correct length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I forgot there is a ruler in the mission editor (holding middle mouse button). Unfortunately I can't seem to take a screenshot when holding that button, but it shows around ~1045 feet (i.e 47 feet too short).

Again, I might be completely mistaken. And to be fair, it's not the end of the world. Still plenty of space to park my jet. ;)

I would say your methods are extremely imprecise and not useful for judging the accuracy of either model. Use the model viewer and try to determine the scale of units to meters/feet using a known quantity. Then measure the actual units of the 3d model. This business stacking static aircraft and guesstimating is utterly useless except in the face of glaring, massive descrepancy.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I would say your methods are extremely imprecise and not useful for judging the accuracy of either model. Use the model viewer and try to determine the scale of units to meters/feet using a known quantity. Then measure the actual units of the 3d model. This business stacking static aircraft and guesstimating is utterly useless except in the face of glaring, massive descrepancy.

OP said he used the in-game ruler as well which shows similar results of the Stennis being short.

If accurate, this needs to be moved to the "Bugs" forum section and to me, is a significant problem. However, I believe that this version of the Stennis may just be placeholder until we get the upgraded carrier module which will hopefully fix this issue.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

So the measurement of feet using the ruler in the sim isn’t accurate? 40+ feet is not a rounding error or an innacurate ruler, it’s the wingspan of a Hornet missing!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Point is well taken, but its not that useless. Bankler has been my sounding board as I worked through the problems with the model I was seeing. I've used measurement methods that are more accurate than what you can get in the model viewer using your method. That method would induce error because you're assuming a known distance provided by an external source (drawing, or otherwise) and then effectively scaling the model to be correct to that. You force it to be correct.

I took the model and chose a unit system to work with. I used an FSX model in the same unit system using the same import method. I've since confirmed that the FSX model is scaled correctly to real world dimensions. One could potentially argue that each model gets a custom scaling applied to it, but Bankler confirmed that wasn't the case as his dimensions are basically what I'm seeing. My measurements go down to 6 decimal places though.

Inspired by Matt Geders' presentation of the problems he had with the getting the glideslope/meatball/etc math right, I decided to measure the Stennis model.

I don't really have a scientific way of doing this. Even if I'd extract the model I wouldn't know for sure if 1 unit in the game engine equals 1 meter and such.

But, according to the the almighty Wikipedia, the Stennis deck should be 332.8m (1092 feet). An F/A-18 should (according to the same lovely source) be 17.1m (I assume this is from nose to the rear-most point right between the horizontal stabs).

So, I decided to put a bunch of static F/A-18:s on deck and see how many I could fit. I could fit 19. And then I even packed them nose-to-exhause (yuck!), effectively making them slightly shorter than 17.1m (right?).

332.8 / 17.1 = 19.46. Meaning if I should have around a half plane length over, after putting 19 in there. So, around 8-10 meters short?

Please tell me I'm doing this completely wrong, and that the boat is as long as it should be, so my super-nerd-me can breath again. :lol: :book:

You can download 3dsmax model DCS CVN-74 (Its free) Open in this software and there you can found exactly data about this model in game.

// Edit I see that link was deleted in YT video where was model CVN-74 ..

Edited by Magot