Radar can't detect some kind of static object

afarros

The Viggen radar can pick out static motorcade on the plain,but can't detect a cloud of static planes as same size .

Same problem happened,radar can detect alive watchhouse,but can't detect static repair shop.

I guess the problem come from object property.

7343e58261d15e6e2017bcf4cdfb4fa5c2b70b2e.jpgplease take a look at the picture.clearly.

d8c8a137555bef87157c34f39011db85438e65a7.jpg

90ceab7d3c7a3641c90e947ea8787e0147f769cb.jpg

Edited by afarros
add pictures

The Viggen radar doesn’t have the resolution to pick out aircraft sized objects.

It can detect large terrain features like rivers, fields, mountains, etc. Maybe even large structures like a bridge, or a ship at sea.

Actually, with the new radar implementation you can even see the electricity masts. I have also spotted vehicles (tanks, artillery, etc.), but they weren't statics though.

That sounds a bit generous, considering the capabilities of the real PS37/A radar.

But the fact that a column of hard vehicles can be detected and parked aircraft can’t, sounds reasonable. It’s all in the reflectivity of the material, and the radar cross section of the object. Vehicles are usually box shaped, and aircraft rounder and streamlined. But I have no idea if this is simulated.

Agree with afarros. For me the problem is that the radar cannot even detect active helicopters! I put four active ch53 in a line on the runway along with 4 static ch53 and 4 shermans. The result is that I can only see the tanks. However the ch53 is one of the largest helicopter in the game, and is several times larger than the sherman! So this kind of result is not persuasive to me.

Thanks for reporting!

We use different ways to access DCS object lists depending on the object type, and it's quite complicated. I've just checked, and indeed, static objects are not reported in the same way as moving vehicles. Probably they are also not included in the other queues used - hence they are probably missing from the radar image. I'll investigate it further and apply a workaround if needed.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 years later...

This bug is still here ( DCS 2.7.6.13436 ).

Ground vehicles on the corners of the square, planes and helicopters inside the square.

real.png

Only ground vehicles show up on the radar.

radar_view.jpg

AJS37_no_static_AC_on_radar.trk

Oil and gas platforms are also still missing from the radar view, by the way.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

Oil and gas platforms are also still missing from the radar view, by the way.

They are also invisible to the RB04 and RB15.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

This issue is already tracked and we will try to fix it with the 60km radar update. We need to boost the RCS for static objects. As for missiles not detecting oil platforms, this may or may not be feasible to change, but we will investigate.

• Thanks 3

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/