What are the chances we will see a B-17 DLC some day?

oscar19681

The problem with the B-17 I'd imagine is just honestly the complexity. You see how long it takes to get one plane, one model of it - done right. Some aircraft have been in beta for well over a year and are still not all there. Some have been in development for several years and are not even to the beta stage. From what I understand, each module costs upwards of 6 figures to put out. The B-17, done right, with all the stations and things that would have to be modeled would be an insanely big ask, and exceedingly expensive I am sure. A bird so beloved as that one, people would have sky high expectations. They'd want to be able to run the length of the aircraft, tweak every switch, knob, and rivet and have extreme levels of detail (that's the funnest part of DCS). Just imagine how much that would take if a simple fighter can take years and 6 figures to do. I'd bet one day it can and will happen, but I'd also bet it will be quite some time and a huge number of modules will be ahead of it, if it ever gets on the drawing board.

TL;DR - It's not that there's not enough interest or that it's only your $.02, it's just an incredibly big undertaking. They'd have to basically devote a few years resources to just that one aircraft to do it right, and at the time, there are just so many other things on the plate. I'd love it. I'd pay more than $100 for that bird alone. I just can't imagine it'll be an easy one to get in game.

Thanks for your service, by the way! :thumbup:

IMHO, this is where the perfect is an insurmountable enemy of the good. That kind of work would indeed be a huge task, and require a massive amount of rework to the base DCS engine and multiplayer code base, all for a feature set that wouldn't be more than a curiosity for most buyers of the module.

Building a B-17 with a fully-realized cockpit with both pilot stations shouldn't be a ton more work graphically than any of the 2-station helicopters, and the avionics systems aren't even in the same league in complexity as the Mig-21 or Mirage. Add in a fixed (but accurate) representation of the bombardier sight (take a page from what IL2 has done for 15 years here), and you've got a module that would satisfy the vast majority of buyers and finally bring us the allied heavy bomber most late war scenarios really need. The flight model complexity of 4 prop engines would be harder to model than a single, of course, but I'm still guessing the lack of advanced flight systems to model balances that out compared to modern modules.

Yes, I'd love to run back and jump in a turret or take up the tail gun, but not at the expense of not getting the module, and judging from the uptake of that position in other sims that offer it I'm guessing it offers only passing entertainment to most.

Don't let the ultimate dream of a 100% internally modeled, 10-crew station B-17 destroy what's achievable.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a dream we start with simple AI B17 to get little bit related WW2 stuff, there was a mod from sithspawn I don't know why ED abandon this mod sadly.

For me most likely of the not so great Damage Modell and the gunner snipers, B29 mod have this trouble.

But ED is most done modern stuff currently, for me don't like the most modern US fighter currently is a long way to tipperary

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

"The famous Memphis Belle, a B-17 World War Two bomber, is undergoing a major restoration project at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

The Memphis Belle was kept in Memphis, Tennessee for around 60 years before being transported to the museum in Dayton, Ohio for restoration. This work on the historic bomber began ten years ago, and it’s expected to take another two and a half years before it will be completed. ~ "

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/memphis-belle-b-17-undergoes-restoration.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=postplanner&utm_source=facebook.com&src=fba&type=int&page=militaryaviation

WWII Plane in a WWII thread... offering some hope and opportunity for insight

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Proper late war WW2 scenarios.

Even just a AI B17 would help a lot. With or without a map.

Absolutely! AI B17 + improved netcode + good visibility settings and DCS WWII will take off into orbit like a Saturn V! :joystick:

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

images of damage... which may help the would be modeler...

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/damaged-b-17-bombers-that-made-it-home.html

and what it must really have like, flying through flak

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Proper late war WW2 scenarios.

Even just a AI B17 would help a lot. With or without a map.

:thumbup:.....+1

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

• 1 month later...

B17 IT'S possible?

I would first like to thank you for all the work being done.

but I can not stop thinking about Multicrew aircraft. I understand it is not easy to create one, but I can not help noticing cloud imperium games and star citizen with those ships Multicrew and I think if you can not do the same in DCS . B17 there are many fans and I'm sure that would contribute in a campaign crowfunding for the dream to come true.

thanks and sorry for my english

They can start with twin engine bombers, less work needed and it would pave the way for the heavies. A20, B25, B26, A26, Ju-88 would be great.

For B17 i 'd buy it even if it was initially released at FC level, provided multi-crew functionality was modelled.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

They can start with twin engine bombers, less work needed and it would pave the way for the heavies. A20, B25, B26, A26, Ju-88 would be great.

For B17 i 'd buy it even if it was initially released at FC level, provided multi-crew functionality was modelled.

B-25 has me foaming at the mouth. It wouldn't be that hard to do. Just need a team willing to take it on.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Bombers are a good thing...hope we see some come to fuition.

But since we are on twin engines, I would love to see a P-38.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Yeah, but it's just so damn ugly compared to a B-17 or B-25.

;)

I guess I just like underdogs and ugly ducklings. I think that's the reason I like the B-24 and P-47 so much, they were overshadowed by "prettier" aircraft even though they played a huge part in the war. Photographers from ww2 even said that they liked to film the stang and B-17 because they just looked better.

I for one thing the B-24 is the most beautiful bomber but that's just my opinion.

I hope they do make a full flyable model, I would love to be able to fly this beauty.