Has the sound structure changed?

lee1hy

• ED Team
Anyone knows how to get sounds back to mods? Instead of you know mods using some default sounds. How is that structured with the change now with the audio structure? Thanks.

Please, clarify your question.

Usermods can still reference stock sounds, but they better use wave names w/o extensions.

For the full list of game sdefs and their respective waves, please, refer to my previous post.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Please, clarify your question.

Usermods can still reference stock sounds, but they better use wave names w/o extensions.

For the full list of game sdefs and their respective waves, please, refer to my previous post.

I think I just need better clarification on how to put sounds in user mods. Previously it wasn't problem but now I have been running into problems where I previously haven't. Thanks.

To get rid of Betty for the F-16 I used to delete the .ogg sound files found here: Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\Betty

With the 2.5.6 patches and after today's one the 'Sounds' folder inside main F-16C directory was replaced with 'Sounds.edc' containing the new sound type files as per the attached image.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the Betty call outs with the new sound structure?

Capture.JPG.ad22d533cc85ec83c10f5c3252299c3e.JPG

To get rid of Betty for the F-16 I used to delete the .ogg sound files found here: Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\Betty

With the 2.5.6 patches and after today's one the 'Sounds' folder inside main F-16C directory was replaced with 'Sounds.edc' containing the new sound type files as per the attached image.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the Betty call outs with the new sound structure?

You'll need to create an empty .ogg file and place it in the "Saved Games\DCS\Mods" folder with the same relative path, for example if the file used to be:

"Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\Betty\Example.ogg"

Then your empty file would need to be in:

"C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\Betty\Example.ogg"

You could try creating an empty txt file and renaming it to .ogg but if that doesn't work try using something like Audacity to create a 1 second silent audio clip, exporting it as .ogg and using that.

Can anyone provide the original main menu ogg files for the modules?

After update all modules are playing the same boring generic music of Caucasus. You would do the community a great favour if you could upload them in the download section

I really can't stand that Caucasus menu theme music over all modules

Viggen, F18, F16, F15C, A10C, AV8B, F5E, L3, Mirage, SU33, Huey, Gazelle, KA50, MiG21, Spitfire, Mustang, 109 Kurfürst, Combined Arms, Normandy, PG, NTTR,

All lost and now play the Caucasus menu music.. uugggggggggggh

Edit: <Saved Games> doesn't have any sound folders....

Edited by InkWithGold

DCS World Open Beta:

F/A-18C | F16C | A-10C | AV-8B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | F-5E II | L-39 | F15C | SU-33 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Gazelle | KA-50 | Spitfire | 109 Kurfurst | Supercarrier | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Nevada TTR | and about $50 remaining in bank savings account

Sorry about this. Will be fixed in the next OpenBeta.

Thank you! There isn't any chance to get those ogg files uploaded in the user files section though? i understand if it's not possible, but basically anyone who dind't update yet can upload those files and share them with us :thumbup:

DCS World Open Beta:

F/A-18C | F16C | A-10C | AV-8B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | F-5E II | L-39 | F15C | SU-33 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Gazelle | KA-50 | Spitfire | 109 Kurfurst | Supercarrier | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Nevada TTR | and about $50 remaining in bank savings account

Thank you! There isn't any chance to get those ogg files uploaded in the user files section though? i understand if it's not possible, but basically anyone who dind't update yet can upload those files and share them with us :thumbup:

I have all the old sound files (For DCS core sounds and ED module sounds) backed up but I'm not sure on the legality of sharing them, clarification from c0ff would be nice. They are freely available to download by people that don't own the modules though by using the DCS updater to revert to the version before they were encrypted and then installing the modules manually though so it's not like they are only available to paying customers, it's just a pain to do.

That should be correct, I've used that method to install sound mods before and they work

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190778

It seems to be the same for me. Saved games modifications for Betty dont seem to be working on the 16.

Got it working for me, took a little tinkering with the file structure.

So in sound mods prior, you had general sounds in the Sounds folder (as expected) and aircraft-specific sounds in their respective Mods folder (gotcha, makes sense if you own that module). So now that all custom sounds need to go in Saved Games, here where it gets a little tricky. You'd expect aircraft-specific sounds to go into Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Mods, but not anymore. Now those sounds needs to go in Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds in the same file structure as-if it were in the aircraft-specific Mods folder.

So, for example, I'm using the M61 sound mod by atomtomgo: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301583/

(I've also set it up to work on the F-16 as well)

So the normal file structure for that would've been: DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit

But now, it works as: Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit

External sounds for aircraft I have working in the same manner as before, so now all custom external and internal sounds are collectively located in the Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds folder.

sdef files can keep their original content as-is, and just place them in their same aircraft-specific file structure under Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds\sdef.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Got it working for me, took a little tinkering with the file structure.

So in sound mods prior, you had general sounds in the Sounds folder (as expected) and aircraft-specific sounds in their respective Mods folder (gotcha, makes sense if you own that module). So now that all custom sounds need to go in Saved Games, here where it gets a little tricky. You'd expect aircraft-specific sounds to go into Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Mods, but not anymore. Now those sounds needs to go in Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds in the same file structure as-if it were in the aircraft-specific Mods folder.

So, for example, I'm using the M61 sound mod by atomtomgo: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301583/

(I've also set it up to work on the F-16 as well)

So the normal file structure for that would've been: DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit

But now, it works as: Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\FA-18\Cockpit

External sounds for aircraft I have working in the same manner as before, so now all custom external and internal sounds are collectively located in the Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds folder.

sdef files can keep their original content as-is, and just place them in their same aircraft-specific file structure under Saved Games\DCS.xxx\Sounds\sdef.

Can you give a more detailed file path explanation? I cant get this to work. Ive been trying to edit the F16 Betty sounds from my original mod pack and I cant get them to take. Im assuming my pathing is wrong somehow.

EDIT: Nevermind I think I figured it out. You have to change the F-16 and FA-18 names to make it work. So in the original files the sound folders are falled FA-18C and F-16C. However, in the sounds folder that we are moving things to you need to drop the C designation so its just F-16 and FA-18.

Edited by M0ltar

Fantastic user sound (like watermanpc) mode will no longer be released because the original sound file name and structure are now unknown.

pain of having to hear the rc motor or whistling sound of ED all the way

really sad

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

c0ff cleared that up a little bit in this post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4244398&postcount=102

The list as it exists in the file today isn't complete with every module, but it's pretty full, including cockpit sound paths.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

There's nothing that indicates new audio engine whatsoever. I'm pretty sure ED would have hinted that on their 2020 video.

There was an interview or something that I heard in an newsletter or something, I was surprised as well.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

has anyone managed to get the German speech mod working again?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

i go in users/yourname/saved games/dcs.openbeta and then there is no sound folder there. u guys have a sound folder there?

Yeah you have to create one. So then now name a folder Sounds then your mods need to follow the correct sound structure

I have placed then German speech mod in Sounds/Speech/GER/Common etc but unfortunately it is not working.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

has anyone managed to get the German speech mod working again?

AFAIK, no. Pretty pissed off myself, truth be telt. Here I am sitting in the Dora, talking in American English with my ground crew... the hell am I, an American defector or something?

PS / EDIT: But then again, who gives a crap. Not flying DCS anymore anyway myself, due to stuff being either overtly broken or unfinished. So never mind... and who needs German voices for immersion anyway, huh?

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

It is strange sitting in a ww2 German fighter speaking American English I agree. It’s a shame as it was such a good well done mod. It’s a shame ED can’t incorporate it into the game engine.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO