CATM-88

_mu110_

Not trying to be difficult but why? You can just set unlimited ammunition and see what happens with a normal simulated missile.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Not trying to be difficult but why? You can just set unlimited ammunition and see what happens with a normal simulated missile.

There are training versions of many other weapons in DCS, so why come up short? I agree it's not a huge priority but I think it's worth having as part of the final product.

i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz | Asus Z390-A | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | Oculus Rift + Touch | TM HOTAS Warthog

Agreed. In addition to the BDU-33, CAP-9M, and training rockets we have in the Hornet, the A-10C module gets a lot more practice weapons as well: BDU-50 in LD, HD (I think), and LGB configurations. I would like to see those on the Hornet, plus CATM-88, and captive AMRAAMs and AIM9X.

Ok I am still a bit confused. The whole point is that you can fire what you like, unlike real life. While I did load the training 9Ls once when I wanted to do bfm practice on a server so they serve a useful purpose, in that you can take multiple shots against each other. Vs a ground target what's the point, it's not moving and you are going to get much less feedback than shooting the "real" missile.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Ok I am still a bit confused. The whole point is that you can fire what you like, unlike real life. While I did load the training 9Ls once when I wanted to do bfm practice on a server so they serve a useful purpose, in that you can take multiple shots against each other. Vs a ground target what's the point, it's not moving and you are going to get much less feedback than shooting the "real" missile.

Only real purpose would be for aesthetics (ie taking pictures) and for completeness sake. I agree that this is by no means a priority or something that's even that useful, just a feature that I'd like to see added at some point.

But they are used for real life training because you have no choice, the real thing costs too much. You can guarantee they would train with the real thing all the time if they could for maximum training value.

So now I ask why would anyone in DCS decide to use a CATM 88 and reduce their training value?

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Hey Windy! I guess for the same reason that some communities in Arma use mods that bring in blank rounds etc for assault rifles - they want to adhere as closely as possible to real-world procedures.

As stated above as well, they're great for photos - and I can't imagine the work effort involved is too high, so if we have training rounds for some munitions, why not have them for all where they exist? Definitely not high on the priority list though!

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

So now I ask why would anyone in DCS decide to use a CATM 88 and reduce their training value?

To simulate real training.

I'd also like to see the training weapons added if possible.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Ths should literally be the absolutely last thing on ED's list of priorities. If you can pretend to be flying a jet you can pretend there's a blue stripe on your missile (and not press the pickle button).

You’re not wrong, but it’s just something that I hadn’t seen anyone mention before and I feel like our Hornet should be as complete as possible.

To simulate real training.

I'd also like to see the training weapons added if possible.

Ok last comment but I really find this strange.

So you want to simulate real life training where Pilots simulate shooting a real missile but the only reason the have to simulate shooting it is because they can only shoot the real thing, in training, maybe once in a career.

But we are already in a simulator where it's free so you can simulate firing the real thing all the time.

In essent You want to simulate firing a missile in a simulator.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

So you want to simulate real life training where Pilots simulate shooting a real missile but the only reason the have to simulate shooting it is because they can only shoot the real thing, in training, maybe once in a career.

But we are already in a simulator where it's free so you can simulate firing the real thing all the time.

*cough* AN/ASQ-T50 *cough* BDU-50HD/LD/LGB *cough* CATM-65K *cough* CATM-9M *cough* TGM-65D/G/H *cough* all of the rockets marked practice, practice smoke etc - the A-10C alone has 2-3 types in multiple launchers totally 16 variants - 16! plus TP gun ammo yada yada yada blah blah blah. And the A-10C ED did for the USAF, and that's had all the training munitions available from as long as I can remember.

And yeah I guess some people want to simulate RL training scenarios as closely as they can? I don't see the issue, sure priorities etc I get all of that and there are weapons still in need of proper implementation and AG radar and blah blah blah but otherwise I don't really see the issue. Plus range targets as stock anyone?

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yep. I've heard that response before and it actually confuses me if you can believe it. Training is part of military flying, so I figure why not simulate it?

I don't think of it as something DCS absolutely needs, but it's as reasonable a request as having real weapons. One of the other things I'd like to see is AI options more suitable for training. Right now they pretty much need to use live ammo or they RTB.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Yep. I've heard that response before and it actually confuses me if you can believe it. Training is part of military flying, so I figure why not simulate it?

I don't think of it as something DCS absolutely needs, but it's as reasonable a request as having real weapons. One of the other things I'd like to see is AI options more suitable for training. Right now they pretty much need to use live ammo or they RTB.

Absolutely this

You could also then do target drones such as the BQM-74 as well as range targets.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Lol maybe that's it, I spent 10 years simulating shooting missliles and only actually shooting 5 real missiles in all that time. That's probably why I don't understand someone wanting to simulate it when they don't have to.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Lol maybe that's it, I spent 10 years simulating shooting missliles and only actually shooting 5 real missiles in all that time. That's probably why I don't understand someone wanting to simulate it when they don't have to.

I think the problem lies in "don't have to" - DCS is a sandbox, you could go about your flights and your fights in the most realistic way possible, or the least realistic way possible. We already have a good selection of munitions purely used for training as it is and adding more is done simply by a reskin (mind you the BDU-50s are fairly old now and not up to date with ED's new Mk.82 or GBU-12).

System:

To my mind, it's not about what's possible in a flight sim vs real life. I'm sure real life pilots would love to have unlimited ammo, fuel, and be invulnerable. We can do that easily in DCS, but generally don't. Why? Because, generally, we like to have immersive and realistic experiences. If people want their immersive and realistic experiences to include training weapons, that makes sense to me. I don't think anyone is arguing that it should be a high priority, but to have the option down the line would be cool.

Sidenote: Have been on MP freeflight servers that took training weapons as a compromise between absolutely no shooting (because of Teamkilling) and being able to do simple combat training.

Most freeflight servers/missions that are catered to the larger public have all weapons training forbidded because of constant trouble with new players jumping in, who just attack the closest thing they can find. (Which is usually a friendly airbase the took off from)

The drawback is that other people who don't screw around can't have a2g delivery training, realistic loadouts/weights while landing/taking off/a2a refueling etc.

Also Windy, trying to tell others how to play this game is absurd. It's quite strange you ask others to explain why there should be training weapons in DCS, when we already have them for a long time in many modules.

Sorry not trying to tell you how to play just wondering why you would want to. Anyone can do what they like obviously I was trying to understand why.

I have always believed the old expression train like you fight DCS allows you to make them exactly the same.

GTX 1080 Has its uses