Valve Index Hands On

aileron

It is the same thing. You’re looking at how this has affected your DCS gameplay but I’m looking at the consequences of this new change on my PC especially the GPU.

No, I'm not just looking at DCS. As I have said, the GPU usage and temps go through the roof with the latest SteamVR betas. Very concerning!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave a comment here and let's hope it gets the right amount of attention:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/1636416951447047234/

I started that thread! :) I am eyethemack on Steam.

Also, this one https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/1636416768328370812/

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

In Steam app look for SteamVR. Right click and choose properties, then in beta tab, opt out of beta.

Thank you sir!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I will miss not seeing the loading screen when I get lag spikes. It would be nice to have that little feature in the stable version.

*edit* I just changed back to stable and this option is still there! Yes

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

PART 2:

K I switched back to SteamVR beta and force reprojection to always-on. And the result was interesting. I used both fpsVR and DCS's own fps tracker at the same time. Per fpsVR my average fps was 45.7 (remember it was 40.5 with the Stable version), and on DCS tracker my fps stayed fixed at 45 (even when fpsVR reported 43 fps at that instance).

The GPU utilization stayed elevated up to 95% most of the time but with occasional throttle into 70s, so the max temp was only 76C and on average in low 70s.

So higher fps is good, right? In this case, nope. Looking straight on it's good, but looking to the side at the ground objects there were significant stuttering/tearing despite framerate 45+, which wasn't a pleasant experience since it induces a sense of motion sickness.

So, the plot thickens and there are more testings to do.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

K I switched back to SteamVR beta and force reprojection to always-on. And the result was interesting. I used both fpsVR and DCS's own fps tracker. Per fpsVR my average fps was 45.7, and on DCS tracker my fps stayed fixed at 45 (even when fpsVR reported 43 fps at that instance).

The GPU utilization stayed elevated to 95%most of the time but with occasional throttles, so the max temp was only 76C and on average in low 70s.

So higher fps is good, right? In this case, nope. Looking straight on it's good, but looking to the side at the ground objects there were significant stuttering despite framerate 45+, which wasn't a pleasant experience since it induces a sense of motion sickness.

So, the plot thickens and there are more testings to do.

I have been seeing the same graphic weirdness, like the center of the DDI floating around or the mirror edges smearing. Swapping back to stable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PART 3:

So I did a few more runs using SteamVR beta with default motion smoothing setting. Disabled a few background apps such as Citrix and Rivatuner Statitistics Server. This time my GPU max temp only went up to 77.

The first run didn't get counted since GPU didn't have enough time to warm up and FPS started at 90 from the menu screen in this mode which can fudge up the overall avg fps during the flight.

On the second and third runs, my avg fps was 48. This is also skewed since the mission started in midair and my initial fps was already in mid 50s. The lowest fps I observed was 42 but mostly 45 during the entire Dubai flight that was close to the ground. GPU utilization also dropped into the high 80s when I was out of congested area. Stuttering is there but minimal and quite tolerable compared to the Always-On reprojection mode which was just plain bad. Switching view to AI planes that were flying outside Dubai area, my fps jumped to 60 and GPU utilization was 80%, with temperature drop into the low 70C.

So, disabling background apps especially the Rivatuner stats server may have some beneficial effects. But the overall smoothness is still not as good as the non-beta version with locked FPS even though the frame rate is higher with the beta version. This seems comparable to V-Sync/G-sync effect for 2D monitor on vs off, albeit more exaggerated since your eyes are right next to the panels in VR case. Also, the beta version doesn't seem to be that stressful unless you are in a congested area (if you turn off taxing background apps/processes).

EDIT:

Just realized that I left Shadows setting on Medium. Switched it down to Flat Only and gained extra 3-4 FPS right there, doh. So now I don't actually mind the SteamVR beta due to a little extra fps it gives even though I lost a bit of smoothness. Going to keep using it and see how it goes.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I think I figured out my clarity issue. I was messing with the IPD setting in DCS which is not interpupilary distance but an adjustment to how big the cockpit looks to you and left it at 79. I was trying to see how small I could get it to look but was never really happy. I left it there. Today I went back to my previous setting of 58 which coincidentally is my actual IPD and then I used cockpit camera view to adjust my hieght and distance from the UFC in the 18. Once I was happy with my position I looked at the MPCD and low and behold I could read most of the characters like the Indicated airspeed and the Ground speed whitout needing to lean in. Now if I could only remember the keypress combo to save the cockpit configuration I'll be a happy Index owner! So happy I just bought the second base station.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I figured out my clarity issue. I was messing with the IPD setting in DCS which is not interpupilary distance but an adjustment to how big the cockpit looks to you and left it at 79. I was trying to see how small I could get it to look but was never really happy. I left it there. Today I went back to my previous setting of 58 which coincidentally is my actual IPD and then I used cockpit camera view to adjust my hieght and distance from the UFC in the 18. Once I was happy with my position I looked at the MPCD and low and behold I could read most of the characters like the Indicated airspeed and the Ground speed whitout needing to lean in. Now if I could only remember the keypress combo to save the cockpit configuration I'll be a happy Index owner! So happy I just bought the second base station.

79 makes the cockpit way to small. When I fly the Hornet, I only use 52 (rough guesstimate by equalizing the size of virtual joystick vs my TM F/A-18 stick. With the Index if you set the camera IPD and position the headset correctly nearly everything should be legible in the cockpit without leaning in. The area that is in focus is also very wide compared to other headsets, so glancing to the side should still allows you to read texts (this always ticked me off with the Vive Pro).

PART 3:

So I did a few more runs using SteamVR beta with default motion smoothing setting. Disabled a few background apps such as Citrix and Rivatuner Statitistics Server. This time my GPU max temp only went up to 77.

The first run didn't get counted since GPU didn't have enough time to warm up and FPS started at 90 from the menu screen in this mode which can fudge up the overall avg fps during the flight.

On the second and third runs, my avg fps was 48. This is also skewed since the mission started in midair and my initial fps was already in mid 50s. The lowest fps I observed was 42 but mostly 45 during the entire Dubai flight that was close to the ground. GPU utilization also dropped into the high 80s when I was out of congested area. Stuttering is there but minimal and quite tolerable compared to the Always-On reprojection mode which was just plain bad. Switching view to AI planes that were flying outside Dubai area, my fps jumped to 60 and GPU utilization was 80%, with temperature drop into the low 70C.

So, disabling background apps especially the Rivatuner stats server may have some beneficial effects. But the overall smoothness is still not as good as the non-beta version with locked FPS even though the frame rate is higher with the beta version. This seems comparable to V-Sync/G-sync effect for 2D monitor on vs off, albeit more exaggerated since your eyes are right next to the panels in VR case. Also, the beta version doesn't seem to be that stressful unless you are in a congested area (if you turn off taxing background apps/processes).

EDIT:

Just realized that I left Shadows setting on Medium. Switched it down to Flat Only and gained extra 3-4 FPS right there, doh. So now I don't actually mind the SteamVR beta due to a little extra fps it gives even though I lost a bit of smoothness. Going to keep using it and see how it goes.

But, again, that’s the thing. With MS on, you should only be getting 45 or sometimes 30fps. Nothing in between or greater than 45.

Doesn’t happen with 1.6 release version.

Supmua may I ask : you mean disabling Msi afterburner in a whole ? because if you keep afterburner on, there is no way to close Rivatuner, it will automatically re-open immediately ?

You can sort of turn it off the Stats app in the App detection level setting (there is NONE, LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH mode). In the NONE mode, it stops collecting the data, disables overlay, etc. I leave the Afterburner on for GPU overclock, although I can also do that with ASUS suite which is also running the background. I should probably run some tests on DCS without MSI apps all together, and could also disable the ASUS suite--too many options to play with. But as of now, I'm fairly ok with the FPS at my current settings so there is no need for me to squeeze out any more juice from my PC.

But, again, that’s the thing. With MS on, you should only be getting 45 or sometimes 30fps. Nothing in between or greater than 45.

Doesn’t happen with 1.6 release version.

It might be intentional by the developers, who knows until they give out official responses. It is funny to see 50-60 fps in the 90Hz mode for sure, that never happened before with the SteamVR platform. There is still some sort of smoothing algorithm going on in the background as the stuttering/tearing is not as bad compared to when I used force reprojection.

Ok I just ran the test without MSI apps at all (i.e. no GPU overclocking) and the fps drop is really minimal 1-2 fps which is probably within the margins of error. I think GPU overclocking didn't work well in this case due to the GPU thermal or power limit was reached and the GPU max clockspeed was locked down--at least with my card. The only way to get around that would be lowering the GPU temp, which means extra fans or water/liquid cooling.

Edited by Supmua

79 makes the cockpit way to small. When I fly the Hornet, I only use 52 (rough guesstimate by equalizing the size of virtual joystick vs my TM F/A-18 stick. With the Index if you set the camera IPD and position the headset correctly nearly everything should be legible in the cockpit without leaning in. The area that is in focus is also very wide compared to other headsets, so glancing to the side should still allows you to read texts (this always ticked me off with the Vive Pro).

The impression I get is that not only does the Index need to be in the right position on your head physically but your viewing angle when in the pit needs to fairly correct as well. In other words, if your cockpit view sits too high you're looking at a down angle to the MPCD and really the other instruments as well. Regardless, I'm glad I wasn't hasty and sent it back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The impression I get is that not only does the Index need to be in the right position on your head physically but your viewing angle when in the pit needs to fairly correct as well. In other words, if your cockpit view sits too high you're looking at a down angle to the MPCD and really the other instruments as well. Regardless, I'm glad I wasn't hasty and sent it back.

Out of curiosity, I also set my camera IPD to 79 and did not experience any blurriness. Everything remains quite sharp in the cockpit although looking at the HUD gives me an eye strain at that setting. I'm not sure why it was blurry in your case. Just want to make sure you didn't forget to remove the lens cover films on your headset.

Out of curiosity, I also set my camera IPD to 79 and did not experience any blurriness. Everything remains quite sharp in the cockpit although looking at the HUD gives me an eye strain at that setting. I'm not sure why it was blurry in your case. Just want to make sure you didn't forget to remove the lens cover films on your headset.

Lol, yeah I removed the plastic. I'm pretty sure it was the angle I was viewing things from moreso than the IPD adjustment. But who knows. It cleared up after making that adjustment and repositioning my cockpit camera view. It's stayed clear even when trying different SS settings over 7 hours flying tonight on PG and NTTR. Hell, maybe the Index needed time to settle in to its new home and relax lol. After trying the Rift S, Pimax 5K+ and Odyssey I'm just happy I'm good to go for two more years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys, thought I would just let you know that I changed my settings and am seeing vastly improved clarity in the cockpit. I increased SS to 250% and switched off MSAA to balance out the extra resource demand, so basically I am getting the same frame times as before.

Of course, there is a bit of shimmering in some buildings on the terrain with MSAA off, but I really feel that sacrifice is worth the additional clarity of the cockpit displays.

Valve Index Hands On

Guys, thought I would just let you know that I changed my settings and am seeing vastly improved clarity in the cockpit. I increased SS to 250% and switched off MSAA to balance out the extra resource demand, so basically I am getting the same frame times as before.

Of course, there is a bit of shimmering in some buildings on the terrain with MSAA off, but I really feel that sacrifice is worth the additional clarity of the cockpit displays.

Do you have SteamVR advanced supersampling on or off with that? Do you mind checking and see if there is any diff in visual or FPS with that option on vs off?

There is also another trick that may help increase FPS. Set priority to high for VR server and compositor with Task Manager or Process Lasso. Haven’t tried this with my 9900K setup, but it did help me a bit with my older PC.

Edited by Supmua

Do you have SteamVR advanced supersampling on or off with that? Do you mind checking and see if there is any diff in visual or FPS with that option on vs off?

No, always been advised to keep that off. Don't know why though? Any thoughts on that?

I'll give it a go and see if I can see anything different.

No, always been advised to keep that off. Don't know why though? Any thoughts on that?

I'll give it a go and see if I can see anything different.

It's supposed to help reduce shimmering at the cost of some sharpness and FPS. I'm not exactly sure if it's in lieu of temporal AA or something similar to MSAA which is spatial AA. Been meaning to test this but kept forgetting about it, and I'm at work now so can't do any testing for awhile.

It's supposed to help reduce shimmering at the cost of some sharpness and FPS. I'm not exactly sure if it's in lieu of temporal AA or something similar to MSAA which is spatial AA. Been meaning to test this but kept forgetting about it, and I'm at work now so can't do any testing for awhile.

I can’t honestly see any difference with it on or off. See what you think.

Valve Index Hands On

I can’t honestly see any difference with it on or off. See what you think.

I’ll test it when I’m home. Like any form of AA, DCS will probably need to be restarted when this setting is changed to see the effect. I just want to see if it has any effect on image quality or FPS or GPU/CPU/temperature.

Also picked up bifocal contact lens today. No more reading glasses, gotta love technology.

Edited by Supmua