Request: Disable "zoom-in" effect when using Zoom in VR

Istari6

Running an HTC Vive and flying the P-51D, finally figured out to map the new VR Zoom function to my HOTAS Warthog. It's a great addition, allowing high detail zoom into those smaller gauges like the Mustang's Fuel/Oil Pressure in the lower right corner.

However, the "zoom-in" effect is seriously disorienting in VR. I seem to be unaffected by most other VR sickness (I usually turn on walking/running locomotion in other games and have loved DCS flight simming), but this one causes me to shut my eyes when zooming in and out. Might be the speed of the zoom, but would be great if this could removed or at least toggled as an option with a "jump" zoom that immediately flips back and forth.

Thanks for a great sim!

I've had a Vive since April, and many other applications use the "teleport" function to avoid motion sickness. I can confirm that sudden snap changes don't seem to create disorientation as much as perceived smooth motion. Look at Valve's The Lab as an example of a very professional application that relies completely on sudden teleports to get around space.

Could be wrong, but suspect that snap zoom will be less disorienting than motion effect.

Flyinside does the zoom really well. They call it the "Binoculars". You bind a button to activate it and then an axis to zoom in and out at the user's setting. Activating it takes you to the last zoom power and deactivating it takes you back to 1x. The changes from on and off are instant.

I'd prefer DCS would just automatically go to the zoom setting instead of zooming in like it does. Doing it like FI does would be optimal.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Hello,

I made some time ago a suggestion on the whislist thread :https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178725

And Harm is wrong : I used the instant zoom with my 3dmigoto mod and it is really not disorienting, because of the "binocular" effect used (have a look at the picture in the post linked above).

In fact I can even use the standard DCS "zoom in" on top of the binocular effect without sickness. That provide x2, x4 and x8 zoom, as a kind of counterbalance of the poor resolution of VR...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

+ another 1!

I also find the zoom function unnatural and uncomfortable to use.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

• 2 years later...

please remove the transition !!

Happy Flying ! :pilotfly:

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

I agree. Instant zoom is better.

There's a zoom mod out now in the download section that has three levels of zoom, it snap zooms, and I find it much better.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I agree. Instant zoom is better.

There's a zoom mod out now in the download section that has three levels of zoom, it snap zooms, and I find it much better.

New version is oncoming. see here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for instant zoom (and a higher zoom level, too)

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Hello,

I made some time ago a suggestion on the whislist thread :https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178725

And Harm is wrong : I used the instant zoom with my 3dmigoto mod and it is really not disorienting, because of the "binocular" effect used (have a look at the picture in the post linked above).

In fact I can even use the standard DCS "zoom in" on top of the binocular effect without sickness. That provide x2, x4 and x8 zoom, as a kind of counterbalance of the poor resolution of VR...

Yeah something like that mod should be standard, especially increased zoom levels to help with spotting in VR or at least to balance it with the spotting capability of non-VR guys.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

+1 for insta-zoom option!

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home