Sparrow deployment

Eagle7907

I don’t know what I ,or J man, is doing wrong. I have Jester lock target before merge STT. Inside 10 miles, Fox 1. Then J man loses lock, missile trashed. Consistent every time. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Sparrow deployment

They are coming head on. The repeater screen goes black then the lock is lost. Slightly lower than me. I think it’s in PD-STT?

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Jester seems to be switching to pstt in a critical moment, which is the better mode at this range if your aspect is right, and if the target is above your nose. at this distance the radar cone is so small, that any time passed is potentially the target moving outside the cone. I prefer to use PAL for wvr as it locks in PSTT automatically. or lock him further out and command Jester to go PSTT early on, which gives you more time to set yourself up for a solid lock, else you can maneuver also through a snaking tactic while holding the lock, if you keep the guy above the radar. like here, you can also see how I roll to keep the target above my nose at crucial moments for the missile and thus help the radar to maintain lock:

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Jester seems to be switching to pstt in a critical moment, which is the better mode at this range if your aspect is right, and if the target is above your nose. at this distance the radar cone is so small, that any time passed is potentially the target moving outside the cone. I prefer to use PAL for wvr as it locks in PSTT automatically. or lock him further out and command Jester to go PSTT early on, which gives you more time to set yourself up for a solid lock, else you can maneuver also through a snaking tactic while holding the lock, if you keep the guy above the radar. like here, you can also see how I roll to keep the target above my nose at crucial moments for the missile and thus help the radar to maintain lock:

Would the option for Jester to change to PSTT automatically cause my woes with maintaining lock? I noticed that was checked earlier.

Would the option for Jester to change to PSTT automatically cause my woes with maintaining lock? I noticed that was checked earlier.

No, not really, unless you turn or maneuver in that moment in such a way that the radar has difficulties to maintain lock or for example pulse lock has it difficult because lots of ground clutter. Personally I always keep this function on. I know to hold still when he does that, you can see your TID going black for a second.

EDIT: I would often try to get ahead of him though, in my opinion PSTT is on of your strongest tricks against notching guys if you are safe to blind your view around him. I start using it around 30nm out, if possible.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

No, not really, unless you turn or maneuver in that moment in such a way that the radar has difficulties to maintain lock or for example pulse lock has it difficult because lots of ground clutter. Personally I always keep this function on. I know to hold still when he does that, you can see your TID going black for a second.

EDIT: I would often try to get ahead of him though, in my opinion PSTT is on of your strongest tricks against notching guys if you are safe to blind your view around him. I start using it around 30nm out, if possible.

Hmm. Okay, I'll practice some more and see what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to keep the target above my altitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm. Okay, I'll practice some more and see what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to keep the target above my altitude.

Yeah, the biggest enemy of pulse search modes is ground clutter. But it is an excellent mode for look up situations.

Heatblur Simulations

Sparrow deployment

Okay, I've created a practice engagement with a Mig23. Without the automatic switch to PSTT and manually switching to PSTT right after locking, I am able to maintain lock all the way to the merge. No problem at all. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Also it seems like the lock can be maintained pretty well even if looking at terrain. I'm completely confused as to why the radar can maintain lock sometimes.

Okay, just tested the orientation of bandit below altitude automatic switch to PSTT. Lock lost.

Hmm, this is strange. Now I try to manually switch to PSTT it loses lock. Then I reaquire, tell jester to switch to PSTT and it never changes. At least in the jester menu, it doesn't change. Still says switch PSTT. Track provided.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf93x2hklkwc2op/sparrowlock.trk?dl=0

Edited by Eagle7907

Okay, interesting insights, thank you. Maybe there is something there that makes the automatic switch twitchy. We will take a look.

As to why you lost it the second time then, when in manual it is hard to tell. When you are maneuvering at close ranges and unlock in the wrong moment, the target can simply drop off the radar. be it because of aspect or because of exceeding gimbal limits (which are extremely narrow at that range and the notch filter in pdstt is really big). Hence it is recommend to use the pilot acquisition modes, such as PAL, or lock him in PSTT right away (if human RIO is present), or lock him pdstt outside of 15nm and switch to PSTT early on. Once you have a solid lock in PSTT, ground clutter is almost no issue anymore. While or before acquiring the lock however it is.

The best way to test this would be on a non maneuvering target (best use a friendly) while in level flight once on his level, once below, once above and above water.

Why Jester is showing PSTT although switched manually, is also something we need to look at. Thank you.

Heatblur Simulations

Sparrow deployment

Okay, interesting insights, thank you. Maybe there is something there that makes the automatic switch twitchy. We will take a look.

As to why you lost it the second time then, when in manual it is hard to tell. When you are maneuvering at close ranges and unlock in the wrong moment, the target can simply drop off the radar. be it because of aspect or because of exceeding gimbal limits (which are extremely narrow at that range and the notch filter in pdstt is really big). Hence it is recommend to use the pilot acquisition modes, such as PAL, or lock him in PSTT right away (if human RIO is present), or lock him pdstt outside of 15nm and switch to PSTT early on. Once you have a solid lock in PSTT, ground clutter is almost no issue anymore. While or before acquiring the lock however it is.

The best way to test this would be on a non maneuvering target (best use a friendly) while in level flight once on his level, once below, once above and above water.

Why Jester is showing PSTT although switched manually, is also something we need to look at. Thank you.

Right on Mike. The times I’ve asked Jester to switch to PSTT and he doesn’t, I’ve had to go back to RIO switch it myself, then jump back. After I do that, then it shows in the Jester menu it has switched to PSTT.

For some reason, after the first time you STT a target and lost lock on, then re-acquire, Jester doesn’t switch to PSTT as commanded. The times this happens within 10nm, I do what you suggested. I use PAL. Too much going on to be looking at a Jester menu.

On another note, I have started carrying Sparrows, and they do work wonderful, thanks to your expert advice. I see why they are a great tool to use in combat. Perfect for disposing a bandit moving in on a wingman.

PS, would you like me to start a big post for PSTT?

Edited by Eagle7907

I love this jet. So much fun, even with just Sparrows and Winders. Tacview file.

Note: I used the Pincer left command against the 23s. I really like this tactic because when they fire at either one of us, the missiles almost immediately get trashed. Only thing i regret is wasting that one Fox 1. Purely out of hopes for taking both bandits down in one pass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4gjhc228d4ehok/tacview-20190824-161858-dcs-f14%20sparrow%20practice%20difficult.zip.acmi?dl=0

Edited by Eagle7907