Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Interesting. Guessing you’ve got a decent Overclock on the 8700k though. No such option with my non k unfortunately. Just not sure how much that is costing me performance wise.

Yes, but if you bought a 8700K it would save you hundreds compared to a 9900K!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but if you bought a 8700K it would save you hundreds compared to a 9900K!

I guess that’s the question really. Will moving away from the 8700 that I can’t overclock give me an actual noticeable improvement. Be it 8700k or 9900k.

I guess that’s the question really. Will moving away from the 8700 that I can’t overclock give me an actual noticeable improvement. Be it 8700k or 9900k.

I would say yes. Overclocking makes a big difference!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I dunno, y'know. Isn't that at 4.6GHz anyway? Should be enough - and won't you just get it up to the 5GHz that imacken has? Wouldn't expect a big improvement with that kind of increase.

I think the Golden Number for DCS World is about 4.5GHz, although I'm managing on 4.3, that's my choice - used to run at 4.5 and my cpu will do that (it's a hot summer, so I reduced it a little).

Might not give as much as you are hoping for? Just don't want you shelling out loadsa dosh and being disappointed. Higher clock speeds always help to some degree - just not entirely sure it would be the change you want in this case.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I dunno, y'know. Isn't that at 4.6GHz anyway? Should be enough - and won't you just get it up to the 5GHz that imacken has? Wouldn't expect a big improvement with that kind of increase.

I think the Golden Number for DCS World is about 4.5GHz, although I'm managing on 4.3, that's my choice - used to run at 4.5 and my cpu will do that (it's a hot summer, so I reduced it a little).

Might not give as much as you are hoping for? Just don't want you shelling out loadsa dosh and being disappointed. Higher clock speeds always help to some degree - just not entirely sure it would be the change you want in this case.

The 8700 is 4.6? I thought it was 3.2!

The 8700 is 4.6? I thought it was 3.2!

I think it’s 3.2 standard. 4.2 turbo to all cores. 1 core turbo boost to 4.6.

Load through task manager seems to sit at happily at 4.2.

Just feels like for a not too bad setup I’m struggling along at 80hz even after a lot of tinkering.

Index is my 1st HMD so Im still learning how to tweak it. For some reason my FPS is locked at 40 according to DCS no matter high or low setting. I also get slight blurriness when moving my head around and object studder when I move past them (planes buildings, ETC) If anyone have any pointers on what to adjust it would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs: i9-9900k, 32gb RAM, RTX 2080. Nothing is overclocked.

Index is my 1st HMD so Im still learning how to tweak it. For some reason my FPS is locked at 40 according to DCS no matter high or low setting. I also get slight blurriness when moving my head around and object studder when I move past them (planes buildings, ETC) If anyone have any pointers on what to adjust it would be greatly appreciated.

I would imagine it is set to 80Hz and with re-projection is running at 40. If you look in SteamVR Settings and click Video it should tell you what Hz it is running at.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I would imagine it is set to 80Hz and with re-projection is running at 40. If you look in SteamVR Settings and click Video it should tell you what Hz it is running at.

Im running at 120Hz

Maybe I should lower it down to 80hz or 90hz and see what happens

Is the Re-projection something I can change? or it just cuts the frames in half because of HMD?

The 1st fallback for motion smoothing is half fps, the 2nd fallback is one third fps. So for 90Hz if your frametimes reach more than 11 ms it will switch to 45Hz, if you exceed 22 ms it will switch to 30 Hz. For 120 Hz it will be 60 Hz and 40 Hz.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

The 1st fallback for motion smoothing is half fps, the 2nd fallback is one third fps. So for 90Hz if your frametimes reach more than 11 ms it will switch to 45Hz, if you exceed 22 ms it will switch to 30 Hz. For 120 Hz it will be 60 Hz and 40 Hz.

So if I understand it correctly, my frametimes cant keep up so it downgrades my refresh rate to 40Hz.

Does the selected refresh rate have any impact on performance?

So if I understand it correctly, my frametimes cant keep up so it downgrades my refresh rate to 40Hz.

Does the selected refresh rate have any impact on performance?

In your case i would try forcing motion smoothing always on and going for 90Hz. This prevents the detection algorithm to waste frametime on considering which framerate to switch to. The game will not be able to run stable 90Hz in high resolutions anyway. Unless this mystical 50% performance boost patch is coming :)

Edited by Alec Delorean
edit

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I've had a quick look around - though I've never heard of this make (seems they only recently started making PSU) they seem to have got off to a good start, with some decent reviews and apparently is a good unit for gamers' PCs, so should be up to snuff.

https://proclockers.com/reviews/power-supplies/gamdias-astrape-p1-750g-rgb-power-supply-review

https://www.funkykit.com/reviews/power-supplies/gamdias-astrape-p1-650g-power-supply-review/

second is for the 650W PSU

Conclusion:

Gamdias has one heck of an opening salvo in the power supply market. It’s rare for a newcomer to have such a beefy warranty, but 10 years certainly hangs with the big dogs. We threw a well equipped modern gaming system complete with a slightly overclocked Intel i7-8700K and a GTX 1080Ti with all the trimmings at it and it just laughed. Voltage regulation is good, and ripple is good. Build quality is great, and we couldn’t find any deficiencies inside or outside. The Neon-Flex lighting is great looking, it’s far more impressive in person than pictures can convey. We hope down the road to see software control for an easier sync with the rest of your system because this isn’t a power supply you want to just hide under a shroud.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I've had a quick look around - though I've never heard of this make (seems they only recently started making PSU) they seem to have got off to a good start, with some decent reviews and apparently is a good unit for gamers' PCs, so should be up to snuff.

https://proclockers.com/reviews/power-supplies/gamdias-astrape-p1-750g-rgb-power-supply-review

https://www.funkykit.com/reviews/power-supplies/gamdias-astrape-p1-650g-power-supply-review/

second is for the 650W PSU

Conclusion:

Wow thanks for the advanced research Brixmis - good to know. The PS came with the pre-configured system I bought back in June. Not at all opposed to upgrading if need be if more wattage (or quality) is advised. Good to know my current PS isn’t complete junk according to those reviews at least. I haven’t noticed any instability at all in the 2 months I’ve had the system (no device issues, blue screens, crashes, etc) but I haven’t really started pushing things like OC’ing the GPU, etc... so I get the sense it’s not a weak point but will find ways to monitor and keep my eye on it.

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Yeah this is largely the issue I’ve been working on since my Index arrived in so much that the issue is the legacy DCS application core isnt really optimized for new hardware and VR per se. My personal experience (and I’m new to this as well) netted out to two main outcomes/directions for me:

1. If i want to minimize shimmering and increase SS or pixel density (for better cockpit gauge clarity and visual quality overall) you need to enable MSAA in-game which has a pretty dramatic negative effect on perf... so you’ll likely need to enable motion smoothing - which makes for a great experience and smooth frame rates at higher detail EXCEPT IT introduces some artifacts (fast moving stuff may warp, cockpit frames wiggles, wingtips blur/warp when aggressively maneuving, etc.)..

2. If i turn off motion smoothing to eliminate those artifacts i need to very carefully manage settings (SS, PD, texture settings) to keep frame rates in the acceptable range especially if you still want to keep MSAA on (to combat shimmering, jagged lines, etc.). I get the blurring/studder you mention when I push SS up over 100% AND try to keep MSAA enabled... it’s a real killer.

It’s about trade offs for me at this point but I believe I’m settling on keeping motion smoothing on as it allows you to keep MSAA on and jack up the detail/SS/Visual quality (and hope the SteamVR motion smoothing engine or in game AA option improve in time).

YMMV as I’m still beginning the process of optimizing things (process lasso, GPU OC’ing, etc)

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

How to verify whether your current power supply is sufficient? Is the only method to purchase an actual wattage metering gizmo that is connected between the power cord and outlet and compare readings to the PSU spec? What if PSU is performing poorly, is there any way to verify that in practice without expensive instrumentation?

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

How to verify whether your current power supply is sufficient? Is the only method to purchase an actual wattage metering gizmo that is connected between the power cord and outlet and compare readings to the PSU spec? What if PSU is performing poorly, is there any way to verify that in practice without expensive instrumentation?

Its very unlikely that your PSU is under performing. Im sure theres fail safes that would cause your system to shut down if that was the case.

The issues is that DCS in VR does not utilize the GPU fully it only runs at around 60% load at least for me with RTX 2080. I noticed that recently and gonna need to look into it.

Ok, so for Index, is it worth the extra cost to invest in 2080Ti or is regular 2080 sufficient? I think I would be switching my GTX series card for one or another. Has anyone recorded for example FPS or frame times with similar settings and conditions before and after switching from 2080 to 2080Ti? The price bump is quite something, about 500 € difference.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

Ok, so for Index, is it worth the extra cost to invest in 2080Ti or is regular 2080 sufficient? I think I would be switching my GTX series card for one or another. Has anyone recorded for example FPS or frame times with similar settings and conditions before and after switching from 2080 to 2080Ti? The price bump is quite something, about 500 € difference.

I did some looking around and it seems that the CPU is the bottle neck for DCS. I have RTX2080 and it runs only 60% load no matter the setting. Seems like its because DCS only uses single CPU thread. If thats the case, getting more powerful GPU wont change anything.

Gonna need to do some tests to confirm it, and try to overclock the CPU and see if it changes anything.

@nightfalcon

GPU usage in DCS is fine, check my screenshot. The only problem is CPU usage, the stats are showing such low CPU usage because the game just runs on a single core. This is what ED has to adress better sooner than later. The only thing we can do is clock the assigned CPU core(s) as high as possible.

@RedX

Rule of thumb for CPU and GPU is simple - always pair a high tier CPU with a high tier GPU. For VR always try to get the most powerful hardware currently available to be able to get the best possible results and the most options for tweaking visual quality.

Here is my setup: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3994203&postcount=646

The test scene is Flight over Tbilisi with the TF-51

GPUusage.thumb.jpg.7fd308a23d5a8eb4a7b2570f792fd2e6.jpg

Edited by Alec Delorean

Wow, that's amazing. My new Index will be here tomorrow - that's one week from first reporting the problem to receiving the new replacement kit.

Well done, Valve!

Wow that is awesome. I did get a response last night from Valve in reference to the support ticket where I reported my noisy Basestation and dead pixels on the headset . While it appears they are prepared to send a replacement Basestation (which would be great) they completely ignored the 2nd issue I reported...so I’ve reiterated... we’ll see.

Also noticed this AM they pushed out SteamVR 1.6.10 plus seemingly an update for the headset... it appears the “USB device not recognized” (requiring an unplug/re-plug of the headset) may no longer be an issue... a few more reboots required to confirm after work today...if so that’s one annoyance eliminated!

Well I can't say I'm fully confident the new Index will be the end of my troubles - so many issues that people have had, and the vertical lines thing was the only problem with my first one.

I do worry that it might be "out of the frying pan and into the fire" but I'm hoping against hope that the one arriving tomorrow will have no issues - else I may well be sending the same one back!

As far as dead pixels go, I know that monitor manufacturers are permitted a certain amount of dead pixels before it can be considered refundable/RMA material, but I hope that's not the case with VR headsets. I think it also depends where they are - yours are in the middle, right? So should be a deffo RMA job.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides