Google Drive link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ic...BlS2R6EK3c39Kb

Mudspike link:
https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-yak-52/
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
javelina1

thanks buddy!

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Virpil WarBRD
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
Sn8ke_iis

Brilliant work Chuck, very impressive. F-18 was as well. 101 pages for the YAK. Detailed but still accessible. Should be the standard intro course for aspiring flight sim pilots. Love the emphasis on taxi and pattern fundamentals as well as a good quick intro to combat related maneuvers.

I would never have the confidence to hop back and forth between high fidelity DCS modeled aircraft the way I do without your guides.

Cheers
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I MoBo, Intel 7700K CPU @ 5.0 GHz, Nvidia Titan Xp GPU @ 2.0 GHz , EK Liquid Cooling, Gskill 16 GB DDR4 @ 4000 MHz RAM, Samsung 950 M.2 512 GB, 960 1 TB NVMe SSDs, Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K 120 Hz panel, Sennheiser PC 363D headphones, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster: Warthog and Cougar HOTAS, MFDs, Vipergear: IPC, Saitek: Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, Combat Flight Pedals, Trim Wheel, Playseat: Air Force Flightseat, Monstertech: HOTAS mount, Gametrix: Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
bbrz

Looks very nice at a first glance but I definitely don't agree with the way the guide says you have to fly the final approach:
Control your airspeed with aircraft pitch, not with the throttle.
This is a small GA like trainer and you can use any 'method' you like, although I'm one of the pilots who are saying that you always have to use both, throttle and stick for corrections.

One real Yak 52 manual describes how to correct a too low position on the glideslope:
Increase power and pull back on the stick to decrease the glide angle.

And another real Yak 52 manual says concerning speed control on final: regulate the speed using throttle.

Last edited by bbrz; 10-06-2018 at 06:46 AM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Charly_Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Looks very nice at a first glance but I definitely don't agree with the way the guide says you have to fly the final approach:
Control your airspeed with aircraft pitch, not with the throttle.
This is a small GA like trainer and you can use any 'method' you like, although I'm one of the pilots who are saying that you always have to use both, throttle and stick for corrections.

One real Yak 52 manual describes how to correct a too low position on the glideslope:
Increase power and pull back on the stick to decrease the glide angle.

And another real Yak 52 manual says concerning speed control on final: regulate the speed using throttle.
I mentioned that both approaches were theoretically possible, but I have now precised which apprpoach is taught.
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
AcroGimp

FWIW, in my Yak I fly pitch for airspeed, throttle for descent rate.

'Gimp
CO, vVMA-131 Diamondbacks www.csg-1.com
AcroGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
jcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroGimp View Post
FWIW, in my Yak I fly pitch for airspeed, throttle for descent rate.

'Gimp
Me too !!!!

Well, it's a stylish throttle the one I have - they call it speedbrake - but works pretty much the same way :-)

I believe that probably only airliners other than FBW, can be in a different league, the 747s being a good example.

Other than that it's pretty much the same basic rule. So Chuck, you're ok Man !
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
I believe that probably only airliners other than FBW, can be in a different league, the 747s being a good example.

Other than that it's pretty much the same basic rule.
I don't understand the first sentence and what FBW has to do with it. You e.g. fly an A340 and a 747 the same way.

And what 'basic rule' are you talking about?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
jcomm

Basically, use pitch for speed, thrust for v/s, for your glide path control.

This applies pretty much to every GA, even on the bigger types, but turns out to be not absolutely true in airliners, namely heavier ones like a 744, where indeed a combination of the two is required to control your v/s and approach speed.

In FBW aircraft this tends to be automatically compensated by the system, both under Airbus C* and Boeing's C*u.

That's what I meant.

Anyway, it's true that due to many other factors, a combination of both is always used.

Last edited by jcomm; 10-10-2018 at 10:29 AM.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
bbrz

I strongly believe think that the 'method I' and 'method II' description is an outdated, misleading and incomplete explanation, as you basically confirmed in your last sentence.

A FBW airliner doesn't 'compensate' for anything regarding normal flying and there shouldn't be any difference concerning pitch/power handling if you follow e.g. a 3deg GS in a tiny ERJ170 or an A380.