Looking to buy my first fighter

FireManDan

Not to get the thread off track, but something has been nibbling at the back of my mind for a while and I wanted to ask this question: What is the Rough % of folks on DCS who stick to one aircraft, hardcore learn it inside and out (systems, tactics, etc) vs the folks who buy multiple aircraft and just enjoy flying them around and have the G-whizz factor? I ask because I have three modules at present (F/A-18, A-10C and F-16), but have been concentrating on only one for the last nearly 11 months and feel like I’ve only scratched the surface on getting really proficient at all the systems and such. Certainly with work and a family - unless you’re flying 8 hours a day 5 days a week - I don’t see how all those with every DCS module available has any possible hope of learning much about them. Yet, I see people here on this forum with 5, 6, 9 different DCS aircraft in their hanger.

It’s not a criticism by any means, everyone has different goals for why they use DCS. I’m just curious what the mix of hardcore geeks who want to fly the plane as close to the way its used IRL vs the casual entertainment factor. I admit I’m probably somewhere in the middle. Sorry in advance about the tread drift.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Not to get the thread off track, but something has been nibbling at the back of my mind for a while and I wanted to ask this question: What is the Rough % of folks on DCS who stick to one aircraft, hardcore learn it inside and out (systems, tactics, etc) vs the folks who buy multiple aircraft and just enjoy flying them around and have the G-whizz factor? I ask because I have three modules at present (F/A-18, A-10C and F-16), but have been concentrating on only one for the last nearly 11 months and feel like I’ve only scratched the surface on getting really proficient at all the systems and such. Certainly with work and a family - unless you’re flying 8 hours a day 5 days a week - I don’t see how all those with every DCS module available has any possible hope of learning much about them. Yet, I see people here on this forum with 5, 6, 9 different DCS aircraft in their hanger.

Personally I buy modules for two reasons:

1) To support ED / the developers

2) To try them out

I am more or less proficient in the Albatros, to a lesser extent the MiG-15 and even lesser the Viggen.

One thing I did learn in DCS, is that there is a big difference in liking an aircraft as an aircraft enthousiast, or liking one as a (sim) pilot. Before DCS, I would not have given the Albatros a second look, but as a weekend sim pilot, it is great. Systems and controls are simple enough to understand and remember after not touching for several days (or even weeks). Yet it is surprisingly capable in a light attack role, and most of all very satisfying to fly.

Anyway, some aircraft have "it", they somehow feel right to me. The Hornet isn't really one of them, although it's definately interesting as a weapons and sensors platform, it's not as satisfying to fly as the older, "simpler" jets, in my opinion.

Aircraft like the Viggen however may be the sweet spot: interesting to fly due to no FBW but still quite deep and capable systems. If you have a human RIO (preferably in the same room) then I think the Tomcat would be awesome as well.

Edited by Zius

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

DCS history:

Bought FC3 many years ago - learnt the F-15 and didn't touch the other planes. I did load the Mig 29 once but couldn't understand the Russian symbols.

Bought the F-5E as my first clickable module. Learnt it quite well actually. Never quite got the hang of the radar. Still love to fly this. Also Mig-28.

Bought the Spitfire. Waited a year to learn it. Flown it a fair bit. Can't dogfight for nothing. Still haven't learnt it really. Landing properly is hard.

Bought the Harrier. Enjoyed buzzing the taxiways of various multiplayer servers and learnt it fairly well, but then put it on hold to wait for lots more updates. Need to re-learn it.

Bought the heli pack in the bundle sale 2 years ago. Have just learnt the Huey. It's awesome. Why did I wait that long?

Bought the F-14. Failed miserably to learn it properly but the feeling of flying with the Meteor soundtrack was the best DCS experience ever.

Bought the F-16 pre-release. No regrets, I love it. Probably the plane I know best besides the F-5E.

Of the modules I fly I estimate I have learnt ~10% of what I should have.

Edited by bell_rj

PC specs:

You hit the nail on the head, once you go fly and learn something else extensively, you have to go back and re-learn the plane you loved so much . In my case , I loved the A10 way back in the day, then became obsessed with the harrier up to when they finally got the TGP lasing correctly and could drop gbu-12's … just loved coming back light from a mission and hovering in to parking....

Then the Hornet came and rocked my world … been on it since ( well I did take the Cat up once but that was it) … so if I go back to either the harrier or the A10 I'll be lost for a while.....

But my fav so far is SEAD missions off the carrier in the gulf ...in the bug !

The Mirage is "finished" but there are several major bugs in the radar which still aren't fixed so it's even more limited against modern 4th gen fighters than it should be. It's still one of my favorites though. I think it's the only plane in the game that can actually hit Mach 2 while carrying its full A2A load.

I have both the F14 and F16.

You know that Jeremy Clarkson meme with the two cars "This is brilliant. But I like this".

That's what it's like for me, the F16 is brilliant in how it flies, how agile it is and the weaponry (coming soon...) but I just like the F14, even with Jester going on constantly about friendly SAM launches 80 miles away. I just like how the noises the airframe makes and how much of a challenge it is to fly and get the best out of it, it's very easy to fall out of the sky if you fly it too hard.

The JF17 is superb module if you want something that can do a bit of everything though.

It’s not a criticism by any means, everyone has different goals for why they use DCS. I’m just curious what the mix of hardcore geeks who want to fly the plane as close to the way its used IRL vs the casual entertainment factor. I admit I’m probably somewhere in the middle. Sorry in advance about the tread drift.

I have limited funds and limited time (kids are still young, and I play other games). When it comes to helicopters I want them all to try them all and to try and find a new favorite to focus on. For a long time it was the huey, now I'm in love with both the mi-8 and the ka-50 for different reasons, so my guess is the mi-24 will be my all time favorite as it'll mix the 2 roles. So I'll probably focus in hardcore on the hind.

As to jets, I stick with navy planes, and since they are so complicated I try to focus just on one. That one is the f18. I still know how to be dangerous in the 14, but I don't fly it anymore. I want all of my muscle memory for jets to be just the f18

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I purchased FC3 and CA in 2014 and have only played the F-15 for a couple of years, but just for fun. Never spent much time with it as i was hardcore simming a popular Falcon, uhm, F-16 sim until DCS came up with the Hornet in 2018. 99% of my DCS time is in the Hornet, while the F-16 was primarily purchased to satisfy my flightsim nostalgia as i fell in love with this beauty when i hit my first F-16 sim in 1998. Now fell in love with the Hornet and the F-16 will propably catch dust in the hangar for a long time...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I fly the hornet exclusively, because of time and it's brilliant. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I couldn't agree more.

I started DCS quite recently and I am enjoying it a lot so far and out of this enjoyment (and constant sales) I bought many modules, more than I have time to learn and of course more than I have time to master. Recently I have decided to stop learning new complex modules and learn very well the F18 and F14. However, I love WWII era so I will keep buying and learning those as they come out but it takes less effort to learn the systems at least.

Nevertheless, I can't keep myself from thinking how cool would it be to learn that Mig-21bis that is sitting in my hangar and get into those MP Cold War servers so I might learn that plane as well. Oh, and sit back in my Viggen's cockpit but I have to be realistic with my available time and stop hoping from one plane to other.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

My 2 cents

I came across DCS about 3 years ago.

Started in the F-5E Tiger II, because that was our squadron's training aircraft. (Will not land well on a carrier LOL).

Then I started learning the AV-8B Harrier, because of the advanced avionics it provided - although incomplete, I could still fly an accurate ILS approach at night. (Discovered I absolutely hate VTOL).

Then I transitioned to the M-2000C Mirage, to learn to dog fight while strapped into a high performance platform. (Had to mod it to English.) Never really appreciated this one, although there are others who sing its praises.

I had about 200 hours combined flight time in the above modules, when the FA-18C Hornet arrived. I put 1000+ flight hours on this aircraft the first year I owned it, and I logged every flight, every landing and every trap. Did not fly anything else. It does well what it does. (I had a RL carrier pilot friend come over to jump into the VR immersion.) My problem with the DCS FA-18C is the same as the RL FA-18C, under powered. Too much bleed off for dog fights. Get too low on the power curve and there is no coming back. Give me twice the engine thrust and I'd never leave this cockpit.

At about 1100 hours in the Hornet, the F-14 came out. I only put a few flights on this one, as I prefer modern upgraded aircraft as opposed to retro. It does however, fly like a rocket, and I loved every minute at altitude in this bird.

I bought the F-16 Viper right after it came out. In DCS as in RL, the F-16 has the climb rate and turn capability without excessive energy bleed off. It flies like a nimble bird with good visibility. I like the avionics, and will patiently wait for its maturing, as I did with the Hornet. For performance reasons, this I think it will be my go to bird from now on, although I will miss the carrier ops.

My ultimate is the F-15 Eagle that Razbam is supposed to be working on. I am old enough now to have learned never to hold my breath. It comes out when and if it comes out. Otherwise I'm all in the F-16 cockpit.

This is my mileage. Yours may vary.

Yeah I'm in that "geek" category, I do own most of the modules. But I really only fly one at a time really, or at least I can maintain good proficiency in 1 airframe at a time. Right now thats the Jeff, for a long while it was the F18. I still fly the others F16/F14/Harrier/Viggen/mig21 etc so-so. And at one point I flew them as the #1 plane. And I will say, I'm much less proficient in them now. But it comes back to you fairly quick if you switch back, at least for basic tasks. Then there are the modules I faff about it with once in a great while (WW2 birds, Korean era jets, trainers etc), but I mainly stick to offline play for those since I'm so terrible with them.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi

I would say: Tomcat!

Cheers

Tom

Sorry but no. if the tomcat were a woman it would be " very mature" at best. Not a younger busty one.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Sorry but no. if the tomcat were a woman it would be " very mature" at best. Not a young busty one.

We don't need to know about your search preferences on certain websites Kev :music_whistling:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi

I would say: Tomcat!

WhoWins.jpgsean dolan ethan dolan

Cheers

Tom

Haha, that's freaking hilarious!!

I guess that's one of the things that appeals to me about the F-16 is that its "high speed and low drag". :-)

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

So I have recently taken up dcs (finally after several years following) and been playing with the a10c. Now I am ready to dive into a fighter. Thinking either the F16 or F14. I guess the F18 is an option but I have always loved the F14 (who hasnt) and if I am going to pick a carrier based plane it will be the F14. My point is, those of you familiar with both, pros and cons? Weapons platform, flight model?

Yes I know 1 is fly by wire and other isnt. I am also very interested in the phoenix missile

Dam I just love my Hornet! :)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

We don't need to know about your search preferences on certain websites Kev :music_whistling:

It has nothing do do with preferences.

No it's just an honest analogy. The tomcats belongs ( and is) in a museum. Therefore if it's going compared to a woman ( which was initiated by another user) . It certainly cant be like the image above because, that would not be a human analogy of a museum piece. Saying mature is simply a more polite way of saying old. Something you want to do to not offend q person.

In this case I didnt want to be to hard on fans of the tomcat which mind you specific groups can at times be even more sensitive in any criticisim of thier favourite waifu aircraft than women are about thier age. :smilewink:

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

So I have recently taken up dcs (finally after several years following) and been playing with the a10c. Now I am ready to dive into a fighter. Thinking either the F16 or F14. I guess the F18 is an option but I have always loved the F14 (who hasnt) and if I am going to pick a carrier based plane it will be the F14. My point is, those of you familiar with both, pros and cons? Weapons platform, flight model?

Yes I know 1 is fly by wire and other isnt. I am also very interested in the phoenix missile

I own the F-14, F-16 and F-18 and I can tell you this, at least from my experience

I feel great in the F-16 and F-18, but after flying the F-14 and then trying out the Viper/Hornet again I feel an itch to get back to the Tomcat, which I do. It is hard to explain using words, but with the Tomcat it is about feeling the aircraft. And I mean really FEELING, learning and knowing what to do, judging from its behavior, current wingsweep setup, to use or not to use the flaps etc.. Because it can do whatever you want, but you need to know how to communicate with it. The more you do it, the more addicted and compelled you feel to tame this beast and to make it do what you want it to do. It is a very satisfying experience, which for me the FBW does simply not provide.

This gives you a large and very unique learning curve only for the pilot. Someone might tell you that the Tomcat is easy to fly, because the RIO makes all the click-around cockpit stuff and the Pilot workload is smaller. From my perspective, this is only partially true. Flying and making the F-14 respond at your will is a high enough workload for me. I still get my hands sweating, when flying it. Where the Viper/Hornet do all the hard work for you. Simply put in the Tomcat, YOU are the FBW.

I do not want to make the Viper and Hornet look bad. I feel great in them, but in the Tomact... I feel Legendary.

And this is the Tomcats biggest both pros and for someone cons. It really teaches you how to fly and punishes you hard if you dont. But after learning the Tomact, any FBW modern jet is a walk in the park from the flight perspective.

Here is a link to one of the Grim Reaper vids. There is a guy who shares his experience about how to fly the Tomcat and he basically covers in a very professional manner what i wrote above. Vid is 1,5h long but I think it is worth its time, because after watching it I started flying the F-14 on a regular basis.

I hope I gave you some insight and it was in any way helpful.

The tomcats belongs ( and is) in a museum.

The Tomcat is only a few years older than the F-16, so the women analogy still stands. The first woman does look slightly older than the second one... :smilewink: Except that, since taking the photo, both are now already well into their adult lives, have children (C/D versions respectively) etc.

The F-14 is already phased out in the USN but the F-16 is also in the process of being phased out in favour of the F-35.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

The Tomcat is only a few years older than the F-16, so the women analogy still stands. The first woman does look slightly older than the second one... :smilewink: Except that, since taking the photo, both are now already well into their adult lives, have children (C/D versions respectively) etc.

The F-14 is already phased out in the USN but the F-16 is also in the process of being phased out in favour of the F-35.

Except that the f14 never got a substantial upgrade until the f14d.

F14a is only a few years apart from the f16 by initial service dates but was designed around 1960s technology, whereas the rest of the teen series were based around utilizing the best available technology during thier development, furthermore being lucky to in a timeframe where the digital revolution was happening. Whereas f14 production ceases by 1990, f16 is still produced to date.

Further more f14 did not get a significant upgrade until the f14d, whereas f16 and other teen series got continual upgrades ever few production lock furthers by regualr intervals continual power production upgrades.

This really shows when comparing the hornet and viper.

So I disagree the analogy of an old woman still stands. The tomcat didnt age gracefully.

Edit:

Also to note

And f16 phase is only really happening with the usaf, and it's very slow gradual process. The ang will still be expected to be rocking vipers for decades to come, and are already investing $$ for modernization to include aesa radars. The ang in the past have and still have deployment overseas, so it's not like the f16s will just fly around in circles stateside, and never have any further potential to see combat use.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro