Suggestion: PTT - Radio behavor

viper2097

With the PTT buttons for the radios, we are controlling two things:

- Interaction with the AI (clickable menues, like for A2A refueling)

- Speaking with each other (SRS, or VoIP in the future)

The actual problem:

Each time I use the Radio PTT to talk over SRS, the radio menu pops up and stays there.

Next time I use the Radio PTT, the menu disappears.

To improve the situation, I would recommend the following behavor:

PTT button pressed for <0,5 seconds -> Show the com menu

PTT button pressed for >0,5 seconds -> Do not show the com menu

So we could easily use the PTT button for both, the DCS com menu and also to talk over SRS / VoIP.

Maybe this would also be a simple and fast solution to include.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

I second that.

Maybe the time variable can be configurable.

Will be a problem for future ingame VoIP too I think.

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Are you running a warthog?

On the throttle thumb hat/comm switch I use forward/back to talk on SRS COMM1/2, and up/down to toggle opening and closing DCS COMM1/2 menu.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

The actual problem:

Each time I use the Radio PTT to talk over SRS, the radio menu pops up and stays there.

Clever.

+1

But to be honest when they start to integrate in game voip i'm sure they will find the need to use similar solution.:thumbup:

Thx.

I have no idea if the Devs read this here or not, however, I'm pretty sure they'll find a solution that works well.

I hope they read and consider this.

Even with "stage 1" of ED voip, they could already use the modules PTT key for voip PTT.

In fact it was a missed chance if they would not do it. Personally i'm only interested in ingame Voip if it works with the modules PTT button. I'll patiently wait for proper radio/channel simulation, but cockpit integration is a must even for "stage 1" imho.

+1! Sounds like a good idea.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

The actual problem:

So we could easily use the PTT button for both, the DCS com menu and also to talk over SRS / VoIP.

I already do this: TEMPO (DX1, DX2, 500) Bind DX1 to DCS and DX2 to SRS.

Are you not using a modifier on your Warthog?

Clearly something needs to be done considering the future/planned integrated radio, though. The long-press for PTT idea is interesting. There might, however, be a problem with people speaking before the long-press is committed, thereby cutting off the top of their message. It's already a problem with normal PTT, to be honest.

dcs_sig.jpg

i don't know how feasible it would be, but imagine DCS running voice recognition in background, so to contact tower you just press and hold your PTT and give you call by voice.

to help you (and the voice reckognition algorithm) while pressing the PTT the old menu could still come up, but not clickable and only to help you with the "proper" syntax for your call (to not confuse the AI listener).

i think technically this would work well, since the voice calls could follow a strict syntax.

also there are capable open-source voice-reckognition solutions, that could maybe be implemented?

The long-press for PTT idea is interesting. There might, however, be a problem with people speaking before the long-press is committed, thereby cutting off the top of their message. It's already a problem with normal PTT, to be honest.

That's not what is written in the request. Just that only short bursts open the F10 radio menu. They can also open the voice channel.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

• 2 months later...

The actual problem:

I am using this exact behaviour on my Warthog programmed through TARGET. Using short press for DCS comm switches and long presses for SRS/Vaicom.