DDI/AMPCD Exports unreadable in Night mode

Tested in 2.5.3.21708:

Currently, the display exports work well in day mode, but when switching to night mode the DDI exports are so dim as to be unreadable. The AMPCD seems to have the opposite problem right now, with the map export working better than the in-game display, but the text cannot be seen over the moving map.

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate the issue.

Day displays (normal):

attachment.php?attachmentid=194328&stc=1&d=1537505561

Night displays (unreadable):

attachment.php?attachmentid=194329&stc=1&d=1537505561

The in-game night displays look fine at night (something the screenshots don't show), but the exports are still unreadable. The only way these night DDI exports would be useful is if we had a completely darkened room while flying a night mission. While waiting for this to be fixed, I would be happy with the export displays defaulting to day regardless of the day/night setting on the screen.

Screen_180920_201349.thumb.png.01c502821d2da670fe8dcd77f1b91788.png

Screen_180920_201416.thumb.png.d4ac0b9dec776bb0073081c5148484d2.png

Edited by Home Fries

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I've got the the same bug : when switching to night mode the DDI exports are so dim as to be unreadable, exactly as your screens with the current version (OB 2.5.5.35461).

Do you find a way to fix bug ?

Edited by Perka

• 1 month later...

I don't understand where the bug lies?

Night mode is for night... when it's dark (I'm not being sarcastic).

I just did a night ops in the hornet and it was very dark out so having night mode on the ddi's helped with the night vision.

edit: however, if your room is "lit up/ bright/ not dark" yes night mode won't "do" as it's too dim. But I think it's modeled correctly to the aircraft and not to us using it?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has this been resolved?

No it seems that the issue is still present

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi guys,

I've just set up external mfd exports myself on a second monitor. At first, I thought maybe my 2nd screen brightness was just poor, but after switching between cockpit and external views something renders differently with them?

Like everyone else in this post the night setting is pretty much unusable, it's so dark.

The link below shows the brightness when views are switched.

Is this an F-18 bug or a DCS Engine bug?

• 3 weeks later...

There's some sort of post-processing added to the in-game MFD's ever since they did some lighting changes. Which leads to bloom and night time blindness (realistically) if you try to leave the MFD's on the day setting during night missions (so that you can see stuff on the exported views.)

Member of TAW-North America.

Practices Thursdays at 2045 Eastern. Missions Sundays at 1945 Eastern.

F/A-18C | A-10C | AV-8B | M2000C | Huey | KA-50

• 4 weeks later...

There was a bug thread on this that was marked as "Reported" but I now can't find it. The last patch did make some changes that appeared to slightly improve things but there is still a significant difference between the main viewport DDIs and the exported ones. At least now the brightness doesn't appear to change when the main view is switched between internal and external views.

It looks to me like the core of the issue is that some post-processing happens to the main viewport images, such as to make them appear relatively very bright at night, and this post-processing is not applied to the exported images.

Because of this sometimes the brightness matches quite well, but sometimes it doesn't, and that depends on the ambient light level in the sim.

Two possible fixes would be:

1 - independent brightness control for exported DDIs/AMPCD, AND make them not affected by the cockpit brightness controls

OR

2 - make them affected by the post processing the same way the cockpit ones are.

Given that the old bug thread appears to have disappeared I'ma bit concerned that ED think they have fixed this with the last update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...