Odd pairs landing behaviour

2 things I've noticed about AI landing in pairs.

First, they sometimes crash. I've only noticed this in the F-15C and it really has only happened once so far.

Second, they land in tandem instead of side by side. This happens consistently and I've noticed it so far in the F-15C, Su-25, and F-86F.

F-15 first element crash.trk

F-15 first element land in tandem.trk

Free Flight - 4 Ship.miz

Not quite

In one of my missions that I created I noticed that there was a lot of problems with landing in pairs. F-15 landed separately, while F-16 approached in pair side by side however right before touchdown one of the jest goes afterburner and around.

I linked this to badly operated ATC which is known for bugs. This led me to testing. Putting three flights (pairs of F-15, MiG-29, F-16), with wind and approach vectors as waypoints flights were approx 7nm from each other following the same pattern. They all landed in pairs. So I went back to my mission I had the original problem with, added some approach logic, and all flights RTB in pairs as they meant to.

To summarize this. AI is able to take off and land in pairs, however certain conditions (linked to air base / ATC scripting I believe) must be met and it is up to the mission designer to take care of that.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

So true mate. What I do generally is I set AI RTB waypoints using VAD charts for approach, fix and final http://server.3rd-wing.net/public/Manuels%20DCS/DCS_VAD_Charts_A10C.pdf

I also make sure to de-conflict flights with ETAs or triggers when I create my missions.

I would love to see documentation on how an airport logic works.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

^

Fair enough. I'm just saying that a mission designer should not have to go to all that trouble to make aircraft land properly.

Not a complaint. Just reporting what I believe is a bug since the changelog for 1.5 says that pairs landing should now be working.

Sure. I agree. However they also say ATC is still work in progress so I want to believe that AI's ATC is also. In the meantime I learnt how to live with it.