FAQ for F-15 AFM Development

cofcorpse

Technically, right now you can open/close it to any position you want, it's just how it's implemented

Press to Start, Press to Stop,

Instead of Press and Hold until you get to desired position and release to stop.

As Sobek Said, WIP

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

hi guys its not easy to fly for sure can be better. and on the ground i now it dont tip over as taxiing if to fast .it will lose a tyre `at worst break gear. it would be nice to have fire control on it.and let it run on grass again . apart from that it seems on different to me .

can some one help me please how do i get the auto pilot to work on it . thanks

Apologies for double-posting but I felt it was necessary to split my rantful help from my actual question/request.

How does cycling Waypoints/Airfields in the real F-15 work? Can you cycle up/down like in the Hog?

Would it be possible to implement this?

Also weapons management is at the moment a little bit annoying as you can't specify if you want a MRM or SRM. And maybe it's possible to implement missile rejection? Would be nice to choose the sidewinder inside the turn for a small advantage in missile energy management.

I believe that there is only a very small possibility of changes being made to the systems in terms of the legacy systems. You'll have to hope for a dcs eagle ... And yes I suspect it would be more like the hog.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

hi guys its not easy to fly for sure can be better. and on the ground i now it dont tip over as taxiing if to fast .it will lose a tyre `at worst break gear. it would be nice to have fire control on it.and let it run on grass again thanks

I have been flying the F-15 the past few nights with no problem at all. Taxi is a breeze, so is take off and landing. The plane is actually easy to fly, and I think very forgiving. Landing is the easiest part for me, very smooth. If you are taxiing and loosing tires or tipping it over, slow down. 20 mph on the straight taxiways (which you can bump up to 30 if you want, but I usually stay around 20) with about 5-10 MPH on the turns should be just fine.

"There is always a small microcosm of people

who need to explain away their suckage"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apologies for double-posting but I felt it was necessary to split my rantful help from my actual question/request.

How does cycling Waypoints/Airfields in the real F-15 work? Can you cycle up/down like in the Hog?

Would it be possible to implement this?

Also weapons management is at the moment a little bit annoying as you can't specify if you want a MRM or SRM. And maybe it's possible to implement missile rejection? Would be nice to choose the sidewinder inside the turn for a small advantage in missile energy management.

there's a Next Waypoint Command.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

That I know. But if your Flightplan has 15 waypoints and you want to return to a specific on you have to push that key up to 14 times. That's why I asked.

I'd have to look through manuals to clarify if this is a FC3 Setup or if the real F-15C is like this,

But since it's not part of the Flight Model, Don't expect it to change.

Edited by SkateZilla

The AFM for the Eagle is not completely done yet.

Thank you Sobek! I just didn't know if the F-15's flight model is still under development. Hopefully this is the answer why the yawing of the aircraft at negative lift doesn't give a correct response in the end (although it initially tends to be right).

I don't want to be off topic, but I just couldn't stand not to test the MIG-21 last night after it came up and i'm totally excited on what they've achieved for it's flight model (except for some behavior above wing stall angles). Yet the 21 reacts correctly when yaw is applied at negative lift/AoA, making the aircraft roll opposite to the yaw continuously as it should.

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your correct flight model simulation advisor!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the Su-27 Upgrades, the HDD Updates for instance. I don't know, if the Flanker has a Data Link in real life ... anyone?

But: I would like to see a Data Link for the F-15C at first, because the Eagle has it since several years (two decades, IIRC). Like Yodas work - a few years ago - implemented in DCS World.

Curent, the DCS Flanker has it's superior PFM and flight characteristics and with the Update new HDD modes, with the DL.

And the F-15C does not even have the data link, it has in reality. :huh:

Are there any plans to implement the DL for the Eagle, too? Independent on an ASM.

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What superior PFM and flight charecteristics? Doesn't the Eagle have a PFM now too? So flight models don't give any unrealistic advantage to either side...

In regards to DataLink, I agree 100% that it is overdue for the Eagle drivers. Hopefully it will get added sometime soon.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

What I mean, was:

+ The Su-27 has superior flight characteristics (maneuverability) in real life.

+ With the PFM it has it also in DCS.

+ The Su-27 has a DL in real life ... or not? I don't know it.

+ In DCS, the Flanker has a DL.

+ The F-15C has a DL in real life for almost 20 years.

+ In DCS the F-15C doesn't has a DL.

I love the more realistic implementations in the FC3 planes, but if you give one of them more realistic features (like new HDD modes), as the other ... it's a pitty! :(

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I incidentally found this document about the F-15 on dyic.mil, maybe it could be interesting for somebody.

This is a good document showing how was the F-15C/A's CG travel being calculated and evaluated and it could be a good reference for the F-15C's flight model devs in DCS. Nevertheless there is another document which might be useful as it investigates the real aircraft's responses at certain AoA and flight regimes with commanded and uncommanded aerodynamic loads (flight control inputs).

F-15 Stability and Flight Characteristics.pdf

At some points in the document (at pages 11-20), the aerodynamic asymmetry due to the gun's venting system and loadout asymmetry (aim-9's for instance) is evaluated and can give a clue of how the real F-15 might encounter a right rolling moment (where the gun is placed) in clean configuration or with loadout when a certain REAL and HUD indexed AoA is achieved and only aft stick is implied. Might be interesting.

The document also refers to wing rocking effect (rolling oscillations) when the aircraft is pulled above an AoA region with no lateral stick applied. -this can be very well seen on the MIG-21 module above stall AoA-

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your correct flight model simulation advisor!

What I mean, was:

+ The Su-27 has superior flight characteristics (maneuverability) in real life.

+ With the PFM it has it also in DCS.

+ The Su-27 has a DL in real life ... or not? I don't know it.

+ In DCS, the Flanker has a DL.

+ The F-15C has a DL in real life for almost 20 years.

+ In DCS the F-15C doesn't has a DL.

I love the more realistic implementations in the FC3 planes, but if you give one of them more realistic features (like new HDD modes), as the other ... it's a pitty! :(

Fire

Ah, yes. I agree that I wish both aircraft would have DL...doesn't make sense to me either for one to have it but not the other, but whatever. Maybe in time we will finally get it. If not, I would assume the Hornet will have it.

In regards to the superior flight characteristics, I like that they are both now going to be modeled accurately and true to real life. the Flanker is a turn fighter, the Eagle is an energy fighter. Just like in real life, it is up to the pilot to learn to fight to their strengths and I love that.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I would like to see a Data Link for the F-15C at first...

I would like to see MiG-29 for DCS World first. You F-15 drivers had your Flaming Cliffs DCS cake first. You can't expect to have it first and also the best. :music_whistling:

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

The CAS will do a lot of things within its authority to keep the plane coordinated and flying straight for you - that's what I hear anyway. It should basically try to deal with any un-commanded flight situation, this includes smoothing out a lot of turbulence, and this should include the roll channel. I need to dig much deeper to say for sure though, or find someone who really does know :)

I know its still BETA!

Another question.

Can someone explain what happens around 400 KIAS that makes the F-15 so nose heavy that its almost unflyable without CAS engaged. BETA happens?

One would expect the aircraft to feel more and more fly-happy towards 550 KIAS.

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team
Right now it seems that the roll channel is not doing much, other than controlling dgs/s during rolls.

It is its only work primarily.

Can someone explain what happens around 400 KIAS that makes the F-15 so nose heavy that its almost unflyable without CAS engaged. BETA happens?

About what altitude are you talking? Maybe some track?

The manual basically says (massive paraphrasing on my part):

If the CAS pops, slow the bleep down and fly very carefully.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It is its only work primarily.

About what altitude are you talking? Maybe some track?

I was under the impression that the roll channel also counter any unwanted roll not input by the pilot. ie. roll caused by asymetry due to fired ordnance, fuel imbalance etc. above 1G). Or maybe its a combination of roll and yaw CAS?

I read here: http://www.f15sim.com/operation/f15_yaw_control.html

Here is a small track of a T/O.

after i'm airborne a turn off the pitch channel and the aircraft experiences a very heavy pitch-down tendency that increases with airspeed increasing.

1G level flight requires about 30-50% of backpressure.

This is the same tendency i see when >0.9M at 30k and above, where the PTC reaches it's limit and manual trim or backpressure is required to maintain level flight at 1G, even in clean config.

Pitch CAS off.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.