Samsung Odyssey, first thoughts

Thick8

In addition to resolution and performance, I will be very interested to hear how the Odyssey handles positional tracking with a moderate size play area ( mine is app 11 ft x 14 ft ).

Certainly combat flight sims ( seated ) are my first love and where I spend the majority of my time, but I also enjoy other VR games that make good use of the positional tracking, which Oculus and Vive do quite well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from my local Microsoft Store where I tried the Samsung Odyssey. It was amazing looking, I could barely notice the pixels if I tried very hard (and I have better than 20/20 vision) and the tracking was spot on. The best thing about the tracking is that it is all internal, no cameras or sensors to set up or stay in view of.

I currently have the HDK2, it has the same specs as the Rift/Vive but has garbage tracking. Because of this, I tested the positional tracking of the headset at all angles and it was flawless, even when looking straight down and backwards, or under the table the laptop (i7-7700 with Gefore 1060) was sitting on. Cockpit switches shouldn't be a problem no matter where they are. I feel like gauges shouldn't be an issue at all because of the clarity from the higher resolution, it is basically double the pixels of the Rift/Vive/HDK2 with the same FOV (1440x1600 vs 1200x1080 = 2,304,000 pixels vs 1,296,000 pixels). If anyone knows of YouTube (or whatever) videos that will playback correctly in a VR headset give me some links so I can go back a try to get them to let me watch them.

The controllers were very accurate but needed to stay in the front 180 degrees relative to the headset for best accuracy, which is hard not to do. We won't be using them anyway. It was light and very comfortable too.

I'll wait to see what other offerings come out soon, like the Pimax 8k (can't wait to try its huge FOV), but this one is a definite contender that blows the rift/Vive away in my limited testing. It should work with Standalone DCS through SteamVR in a few days too. Was "only" $500 US.

Note: I have seen two "professional" reviews done by women that claim the visuals aren't as good or are only as good as the Rift/CV1 and that is complete garbage. Obviously they didn't go into more detail and gave other clues about their lack of VR experience. One complained about needing to aim with her hands instead of the center of the headset (so she has only done phone VR) and the other mentioned that the headset didn't give her immediate nausea like the Rift/Vive do (so she doesn't even have VR experience). The rest of the reviews are more accurate, just be weary of these women.

Edited by Spectre1986

The controllers were very accurate but needed to stay in the front 180 degrees relative to the headset for best accuracy, which is hard not to do. We won't be using them anyway. It was light and very comfortable too.

That would be a concern for me, as I would be using them and would need good tracking.

The rest sounds very promising though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How to buy this w/o getting in trouble with SWMBO? LOL Swap out the Rift and take a chance that she won't notice? Pretend like I got it a year ago and is only getting around to installing it now? Will likely pick it up once I know it works with SteamVR & DCS.

Discuss. LOL.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

My wife didn't notice that I swapped out a pair of 290s for a 1080ti and she's pretty observant.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

:) Be careful when you brag about the increased resolution/speed!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hello Thick8,

So if I understood you correctly:

"Windows allows you to place your desktop as a window in VR, so I did that. I made it so that it was as wide as the view thru the HMD to simulate the whole 110 degrees. Then I fired up DCS in full-screen mode (1080p) and sat on the asphalt at Batumi to see what my A-10c looked like. It was beautiful. I made sure that my position in the cockpit was as accurate of a representation as when I fly on my 2d screen."

You actually cannot run DCS in VR mode with the Samsung? It was running as 2D in your VR desktop is that correct?

Hello Thick8,

"Windows allows you to place your desktop as a window in VR, so I did that. I made it so that it was as wide as the view thru the HMD to simulate the whole 110 degrees. Then I fired up DCS in full-screen mode (1080p) and sat on the asphalt at Batumi to see what my A-10c looked like. It was beautiful. I made sure that my position in the cockpit was as accurate of a representation as when I fly on my 2d screen."

You actually cannot run DCS in VR mode with the Samsung? It was running as 2D in your VR desktop is that correct?

Likely not until Steam VR supports it.

• Like 1

Don B

Hello Thick8,

That is correct. One more day...

• Like 1

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I don’t think so as others can fly non-Steam DCS on their Vive. If it doesn’t work then I will return it and wait for the second generation Rift.

HEY! DigitalEngine! Thanks for the info and love your videos!

I finally broke down and started concentrating on one aircraft, the SU25T and your videos were the best tutorials out there on that ship, in my opinion. Thanks!! :thumbup:

And thanks for the video link Wormeaten! Awesome! :)

Edited by walleye62

Downloaded the MS and Steam updates in about 5 minutes.

Started the steam VR which automaticaly stared the headset via the Windows VR app and revive. Started DCS. The menu started clear and bright. Fired up the easy Georgia mission and I was THERE MAN. WOOFRICKINHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I was sitting on top of the canopy so I can't speak to the gauge readability yet.

What's the fix for this? I know I've read it here a couple of times but I can't find it. Do I need to loose all of the LUA settings that I set up for Helios? Will the program automatically run at the HMD's resolution or is there a lua for setting HMD resolution somewhere?

I need to first get IN the cockpit instead of ON the cockpit so I'm off in search of that answer.

Hi Thick8,

If it's just the camera view that's off you can just hit "5" on the numpad (that resets the cam view). But not sure if that's what the issue is.

What a maroon I am sometimes. Thanks.

Be back soon with a mini review.

Does anyone have teh default MFCD luas? I no longr have them and I had them turned off in cockpit with Helios.

Also my HUD seems little on the big side as all of the elements don't fit in the frame. I think I did something with it a lew years ago to make it more readable on a small screen but don't remember what. Anyone have any ideas?

I can tell you that with my head at what I would consider a normal position (correct distance from the headrest with a helmet on, HUD frame centered on the screen) I can read all the gauges. I have to tilt my head to get them in the sweet-spot of the headset but don't have to move forward. For the CDU I tilted my head down and moved it forwards and over to align with the screen but I didn't have to bend down to see it. I could actually read it fairly welll before I got into that position but was curious how clear it could be.

This is with 8xAA and no DRS.

Still need to know if I have to adjust the resolution in a lua because I don't want it to be an upscaled Rift resolution. Is there a VR LUA I can check?

What a maroon I am sometimes. Thanks.

Be back soon with a mini review.

Haha...no worries. I remember sitting perfectly still in front of the sensors for my first week with the rift before figuring out the cam reset 5 key...haha :megalol:

Does anyone have teh default MFCD luas? I no longr have them and I had them turned off in cockpit with Helios.

Also my HUD seems little on the big side as all of the elements don't fit in the frame. I think I did something with it a lew years ago to make it more readable on a small screen but don't remember what. Anyone have any ideas?

I can tell you that with my head at what I would consider a normal position (correct distance from the headrest with a helmet on, HUD frame centered on the screen) I can read all the gauges. I have to tilt my head to get them in the sweet-spot of the headset but don't have to move forward. For the CDU I tilted my head down and moved it forwards and over to align with the screen but I didn't have to bend down to see it. I could actually read it fairly welll before I got into that position but was curious how clear it could be.

This is with 8xAA and no DRS.

Still need to know if I have to adjust the resolution in a lua because I don't want it to be an upscaled Rift resolution. Is there a VR LUA I can check?

I don't know much about LAUs. I just go to camera views in the control settings and map my "cockpit views" to a hat switch and cntrl key to fine tune my cockpit positions/views. Not sure if that will work for your issue though.

Thick8!!!

Stop playing and start writing. :music_whistling:

HAHA Worm! :lol:

Edited by walleye62

I found the default MFCD lua so those are working but I need the default HUD_definitions.lua

Will you post it here.

Any word on the VR resolution. Does DCS automatically choose the correct resolution or do I need to put it in somewhere. I don't think the resolution in the DCS menu settings effects VR, does it? Any Rift guys that have a DK and the CV1 that can tell me if there is any changes i need to make somewhere.

If you delete the files (save it elsewhere), and run DCS repair, the defaults should be recreated. For Rift/Vive, the resolution doesn't matter. Also, take a look at the "All things VR" sticky thread to get some ideas on what to set.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---