Trimming nosewheel steering

lesthegrngo

Guys, when taxiing and on takeoff rolls the aircraft pulls to the right with the pedals centred. Is there a way of adjusting nosewheel trim to counter this?

Cheers

Les

You should be locking the NWS at 60-80 ground knots and using counter rudder to fight crosswinds. That said, because this is DCS, it is possible for double binds and other inputs. I would check those first.

Once you have it eliminated down to wind, you can use the trimmer panel (left console) to give counter rudder but it does not help until 60+ ground knots and does not apply to NWS.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Off-centered nosewheel ?

Best Answer

Capture.JPG.2f803681ede902081909915ab7a8550c.JPG

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

"Guys, when taxiing and on take-off rolls the aircraft pulls to the right with the pedals centered"

Yes, it does. Not everytime. It's a random thing.

"Is there a way of adjusting nose wheel trim to counter this?"

Not enough players are having this issue to warrant attention for now. Maybe.

But, yes I have the same thing happening. Sometimes on start-up, the A-10 will slowly revolve clockwise on its own.

If starting in a hanger, the aircraft will contact wall and explode. I restart flight until turning stops, or fly something else.

Edited by pocketedition
aditional txt

"Guys, when taxiing and on take-off rolls the aircraft pulls to the right with the pedals centered"

Yes, it does. Not everytime. It's a random thing.

"Is there a way of adjusting nose wheel trim to counter this?"

Not enough players are having this issue to warrant attention for now. Maybe.

But, yes I have the same thing happening. Sometimes on start-up, the A-10 will slowly revolve clockwise on its own.

If starting in a hanger, the aircraft will contact wall and explode. I restart flight until turning stops, or fly something else.

At the risk of sounding dense, but here goes:

Does mashing the brakes stop this?

I have never had this happen; however, I do get drift on rollout and find that small pedal corrections (in nosewheel steering mode) are effective till the rudders kick in, I can get down the runway pretty straight and clean.

I do have rudder pedals and they are my brakes, and even a gentle opposing (left brake only) will keep the hog straight.

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

No, mashing the brakes doesn't help. Full left peddle will not stop it heading for the canteen.

It's something that seldom happens although when it does there is no immediate fix other than close mission, take a coffee outside.

Come back and start mission again, no issues.

Its not a crosswind, not a slight peddle adjustment. It's full right hand turn.

In the hanger, auto start sometimes the aircraft will "swivel" clockwise with throttles at idle.

Can be stopped by full left brake however taxi and takeoff are off the option list.

For me personally it is not a huge problem. I just turn it off or fly something else. It's not there all the time.

If your question hasn't been answered yet, please post a track so that we can take a look.

I can have a good look at all the suggestions, unfortunately work means I have to be away from the rig during the week. However, there are quite a few suggestions to pursue in the replies, so I'll go through them one by one and feed back if I find anything

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Les

Hope you get a solution, that would be frustrating!

I can have a good look at all the suggestions, unfortunately work means I have to be away from the rig during the week. However, there are quite a few suggestions to pursue in the replies, so I'll go through them one by one and feed back if I find anything

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Les

If the things you try don't fix it, definitely post a track like Yurgon suggested. That way we can jump into your Hog exactly as you have it set up and see if there's something you might be overlooking. If all looks good there, then you can narrow it down to troubleshooting your control setup.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

An odd suggestion i know, but maybe check that you haven't just bound your throttle lever(s) to the left engine or that the lever bound to the right engine isn't faulty and providing no or reduced thrust. The former is probably unlikely, as no thrust at all from the right engine would make it very tough/impossible to reach take-off speed, but reduced thrust might explain it.

You should be able to check this by watching the in-cockpit levers, to see if they both advance together or if the right one gets left behind.

Asymmetric thrust would of course also affect you in the air, but as you don't say whether you manage to get into the air, i thought it worth mentioning.

I always add alot of steering input. The A-10 is quite susceptible to cross wind effect, etc.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

You need to work the rudder pedals to correct, practically every plane has pull to one or the other side (usually it is to the left) on both takeoff and landing until certain speed. There is no rudder trim on the A-10.

Your case actually may be the case of having unequal thrust. What throttle(s) are you using, have you checked its calibration to ensure that both throttles move the same distance?

Danger zone!

I don't think we will get anywhere without a track or a video....

From what I understood he is talking about massive rudder inputs to keep control, which sounds like a hardware/axis issue

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I the context of this discussion I assume he meant “there is no rudder trim... that applies to NWS”.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Yoda is of course correct, but in the context of the discussion, you do not have to apply rudder trim on takeoff, like you do in say the Mustang. If the aircraft is turning substantially to one side, there is another issue at play. Rudders even kick in only above 70 knots.

Danger zone!