Ragdoll physics For Infantry

StormBat

Look it's 2020 and the infantry still die like Doom sprites from the 90's. is it possible to upgrade to ragdoll physics, and if so Please, Please Do It! And then give us your very first infantry assets pack with real JTAC operators with laser designators, infantry of all sorts and specialties, and of course our pilot avatars that can walk to our jets and get in/out of our purchased modules. or anywhere on land, especially if we eject. Combined Arms would be so much more interesting and fun to do as a result as well.

The latter is me just wishing, but can we at least get the ragdoll physics? Cheers.

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

As much as I would love to see rag doll, I’m worried it would take up to much processing power. But at the same time newer and better death and distraction effects would be a welcome addition. Trucks flipping from blast effects, turrets blowing off tanks, ships braking up, and the random infantry men going flying would make videos so much more interesting. Plus I would be cool to see it up close in game.

Before we talk about ragdoll physics, we need to get some REAL intelligence down there. Not idiots that just stand there like cardboard targets, taking fire and dying.

Before we talk about ragdoll physics, we need to get some REAL intelligence down there. Not idiots that just stand there like cardboard targets, taking fire and dying.

For instance, the other night I was flying the Ka-50 in the instant action mission that has you attack the small village. There are two APC's and a truck at one point. They see me, but just sit there. I destroyed one APC, and was actually surprised that the other did move a few feet. But I get the feeling that is scripted. The truck just sat there, waiting to die.

1) They should have tried to move for better cover / position when I got near.

2) When one of them was destroyed, the other two should have bugged for cover, or tried at least to get to a better defensive position.

Infantry still just seems to mostly stand around, or wait in the open for attack.

When they see enemy approaching, they should run for cover, or set up for a defensive stand.

Edited by 3WA

Bit out of DCS scope, waste of PC resources, and extremely low priority when more pressing matters to tend. As much as people want the ''game that's everything'' DCS is a flight sim, vehicles are going to be limited for a loooong time yet, and infantry will likely never move beyond being ''cut outs''.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Bit out of DCS scope, waste of PC resources, and extremely low priority when more pressing matters to tend. As much as people want the ''game that's everything'' DCS is a flight sim, vehicles are going to be limited for a loooong time yet, and infantry will likely never move beyond being ''cut outs''.

Wrong.

DCS isn't all about planes. There is a reason why ED made combined arms and made vehicles driveable and controllable.

Also, ED updated some infantry models and included some new ones some time ago, plus they now have some animation templates done so they could update them further.

You have right. There is no need to waste timr for thing like this.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Yeah, I'm going to go with the opinion that better infantry and especially ragdoll effects are of very little importance right now. Think about what you see from a cockpit. If it looks OK from that distance, it's good enough and shouldn't take more CPU or GPU resources. DCS is already extremely demanding as it is. The only thing I would agree on a little better AI, mainly for heli engagements. If an infantry company could be a single unit, it might help, but I don't honestly know.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

As much as people want the ''game that's everything'' DCS is a flight sim, vehicles are going to be limited for a loooong time yet, and infantry will likely never move beyond being ''cut outs''.

DCS stands for Digital Combat Simulator. It ain't Digital Flight Simulator. But COMBAT.

And while DCS is focused for the AVIATION part of the COMBAT, the ground and air goes together.

Without ground units, you have no purpose to carry any weapons up in the air. You can very well go back to some other civilian aircraft simulators if you do not want to drop any ordinance and get things go BOOM. Yes, it can be said that you can be interested just to fly a military aircrafts, but that is without missiles, rockets, bombs or cannons. You don't need damage modeling then for that either. You don't need any complex simulation calculations for drag etc carrying those things under your wings.

Military aircraft are mostly designed to kill or destroy something. Cargo transport aircrafts are like civilian ones, but designed for just specific kind cargo and specific kind situations landing, maintenance etc.

It all begins with one thing, and one thing only. A soldier. A human beign on the ground that goes to fight with other soldiers for their own reasons. And these soldiers, they are not going to go 1:1 advancement, so if enemy has a knife, they are not going to take a knife. No, they take a spear. If enemy has spear, you want a gun. And if enemy has a gun, then they want bigger gun. And if enemy has bigger gun, then you want a tank. If enemy has a tank, you want a weapon that can destroy that tank.

And it goes all the way around up to the point until you are "I want a attack aircraft" or "I want a fighter".

And you are not there shooting down fighters because you just win the war when enemy runs out of fighters. No, you need boots. And you need those boots on the ground, killing their soldiers, killing their politicians and killing their way of life so that they start to obey you, so that you can bring your business there and they will pay to you so that you can get rich (that 1% of the 1%).

DCS needs a far better simulation for ground units. And that should be coming. We need a RTS game made from the Combined Arms. A very realistic kind one. Where there is intelligence requirements to gather, there is communication delays. There is lack of real time information that what is happening and where.

When you are looking a map, you shouldn't be seeing units real icons etc. You should only see the flightplans, only see the strategical positions and plans. The units should be down there under AI trying to follow those commands and orders as best they can and you have no idea what there really is going on!

Even our current Anti-Air units are stupid! Even the simplest HMG shooter, not to talk about 23-30mm AAA should be there shooting a big spider net front of you, not trying to hit you. But making such a spread of lead front of your flight path that if you fly straight or you try to just perform barrel roll, you die because you are going to fly straight to that stream of lead. You should be there looking straight at all that tracers (in low light) and try to avoid them by reacting them. Not taking any pre-action like now.

The MANPAADS should have some kind intelligence that they are not going to launch missile if it is in bad scenario. And not launch the missile at all to already burning and dropping airplane, like it would be second life to them as points!

We are getting a new terrain engine, that should be bringing a more terrain features at the low level flying with helicopters and especially for Combined Arms. Terrain where you can actually hide, where you can take defensive positions, terrain where you can hide from up coming A-G radar, thermal imagine systems etc.

There should be a basic AI that units does not scatter together like sheeps at night to avoid getting cold and getting eaten by a wolf. No, ground units should have intelligence to scatter around, seek air cover, take positions that are not vulnerable to toward enemy positions. And when units gets under attack, not to move 50 meters and then stop there for 600 seconds like idiots, thinking that they are in safe.

If you would have a truck colonna moving, you have infantry with it, and they have multiple MANPAADS with them. They have rocket launchers, they have HMG etc and they are trained to use them and prepare for a self-defense positions, keep moving, keep avoiding the death. You wouldn't see them traveling 5 meters from each others, instead you would see them keeping nice 500-1000 meter separation to each others so that no attack aircraft can dive from the sky and blow all up with one bomb. No, that attack aircraft would have only a one truck as easy target and that only for one attack run as then other trucks spread out, hide and take self-defense positions and you have huge few kilometer wide defense line that has 3-4 km height and 4-5 kilometer reach to kill you.

What we need is to see such things like trucks turning over in near bombs. Tracks lost on tracked vehicles. Start seeing possible crews jumping out and running to cover etc. Get AI automatically unmount infantry from vehicles and take defensive positions etc. Have there basic military logic that can be found on any good military basic training book!

Flying a military aircraft that is designed against ground troops becomes moot extremely quickly once you learn how simple and stupid the AI is. It becomes as addictive as shooting fish in a barrel.

I don't personally need ragdoll effect. I don't need fancy accurately done animations for infantry climbing to helicopter, APC or truck. They can very well IMHO teleport just to outside of the door... But do it properly so that they at least need to reach that position. That there is specific time and ways how the infantry moves in/out. Like infantry would take a cover from APC when getting under fire. Moving with it, covering it etc. Once the fighter flies pass, everyone quickly in and change the location etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Wrong.

DCS isn't all about planes. There is a reason why ED made combined arms and made vehicles driveable and controllable.

Also, ED updated some infantry models and included some new ones some time ago, plus they now have some animation templates done so they could update them further.

Yeah, and we all know how CA eorks. YES IT'S ABOUT AIRPLANES. Thus the complete absence of non-aircraft and only rudimentary support for vehicles. I mean, ffs, these ''dcs WORLD'' types are about as sensible as the ''dcSIMULATOR'' types @@ I mean really smh

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Considering current hardware limitations, DCS cannot cover all aspects of modern warfare to the same level and that's simply an unavoidable fact. As I said before, I think a it can improve on some aspects of the AI's response to threats and events, but up to a limited extent, considering the fact that there are other titles that are infantry-centric and even they are not that great. And these titles have shown that mods can improve things by using heavy scripting at the detriment of game performance, so it's always going to be a tradeoff.

Some of the described actions can actually scripted natively in the Mission Editor. Things like quickly deploying MANPADS, defensive zones, scattering under fire, how far and for how long etc. Some solutions (such as spawning units in) can be inelegant, but do work, as far as the guy in the plane or the chopper is concerned.

If a mission designer takes IRL column compositions into account for example, a pilot will quickly realize that the tanks he's trying to attack have a host of mobile SAM and AAA systems covering them, for example. Another is the fact that while an IADS doesn't currently exist natively, a lot of the behavior and tactics can be simulated by using triggers, flags and switching conditions. Again, not everything works as well as some would want, but good mission design and scripting can go a long way.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro