Ideas for DIY Gear handle?

Fish

Hi All,

Finishing a design for a generic button box, but would like to add a gear handle, which is not just a 'switch'. I have space on on side I could put something.

Any ideas welcome.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Hi All,

Finishing a design for a generic button box, but would like to add a gear handle, which is not just a 'switch'. I have space on on side I could put something.

Any ideas welcome.

Have a look at my pit, I used a design for my landing gear and landing hook that I found on youtube (I'll see if I can find it again and link it). I used a model car suspension spring to give them some 'feel' and microswitches. You can either do it with 2 switches (no lua programming) or to save on time you can use just one switch and add a couple of lines of code to the joystick lua file.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243783

Sinclair ZX81 - 1K RAM - 16K Wobbly Ram Pack - Tape Drive - Kempston Joystick :helpsmilie:

• 3 weeks later...
I am actually using a 3 way guitar pick up switch, gives a very positive feel to the motion, working on a 3d print for the actual handle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0092MBPGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers cypher. x

Just ordered this one. Price makes it a no brainer to try out first. Scale is right for my button board.

Lets know if u have any progress with the handle.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Finally finished the button board and the gear lever. Its designed with VR in mind (using the reverb), and in DCS I've only mapped it for the F18

Here's some details.

• Design is wedge, for ease of access.
  • Height of buttons rise low at the front, high at the back
  • All knobs back line.
  • Buttons and switches different styles grouped, so there's tactile differences.
  • Two push button encoders left and right, and 4 rotaries In the center.
  • Encoders used for CRS and HDG knobs (used to fine tune since they are a bit slow).
  • Shifted left encoder, push to activate the kneeboard, and shifted rotation srolls through pages back or forward.
  • Switch line, left are 2 way up and down toggle with 1 active all times.
  • Center are toggle left/right momentary also used for CRS and HDG. Last 2 3 way toggle.
  • Bottom row is for start up, APU, CANK L&R, FLCS RESET and rudder reset.
  • Gear lever is 3 position
  • Design uses the Bodnar I/O board with up to 36 buttons and 8 analog channels.
  • Box uses 29 buttons and 4 analogs. (analogs used for DD brightness.
  • Battery and Canopy are up down toggles, with the down action requiring the shift button to avoid accidents.

Here's a quick look at it in action

20200118_012822.jpg

20200123_184053.jpg

20200123_182938.jpg

Thanks to all who posted their ideas for me.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

Here is one I made for those without a 3D printer:

Gle0N8U.jpg

5 discs from clear plastic

1IbdYKH.jpg

Sanded

jqv89ff.jpg

uzrZKtW.jpg

Glued together, drilled and inserted a biro (temporary)

SZb6YPk.jpg

I didnt photo the last version, dyed it with red pen ink (took forever to dry, like weeks!! There is an aerosol spray for car brakes but it was $$$) I also put an LED in it and bought some aluminum tube from fleabay.