Normal to veer when taking off and trimming question?

bunraku

Hi. I have the Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals and the TM Warthog Hotas.

One thing I notice is when taking off using Nosewheel Steering that my plane will want to veer a lot and have to apply one of the pedals to straighten the plane. Once the NWS is switched to Rudder it eases off although still not straight usually. I have a fairly large deadzone using the windows properties as opposed to a deadzone in DCS axis settings.

So I am wondering if the veering to the side is normal particularly in regard to the NWS? I appreciate it may be wind, but just wanted to check.

I also have to do a lot of trimming once airborne to fly straight and level and it's a lot of hard work on a flight.

My TM Warthog is calibrated perfectly and again I am wondering if my pedals(rudder) might be causing an issue or is it normal to be constantly having to trim to keep straight and level?

My A-10 tracks straight down the runway without wind and no asymetric load.

Any crosswind component will require corrections due to the weathervaning effect.

A large deadzone isn't a good idea, try to set it as small as possible.

Do you need a lot of pitch trim for straight and level flight? With no asymetric load you shouldn't need any rudder and/or aileron trim.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

The twitchiness of the rudder with the NWS engaged could be a deadzone issue with your pedals, and I always found in the air I needed quite significant and constant aileron trim in flight to keep wings level, but a larger deadzone did improve it considerably on my TM Warthog.

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

Concerning the NWS. Once lined up on the runway there's no need to use the NWS. Directional control is still more than sufficient.

The RW A-10 manual says for T/O; NWS as desired.

Concerning the NWS. Once lined up on the runway there's no need to use the NWS. Directional control is still more than sufficient.

Normally you should switch NWS off around 80 kts, when the rudder gets effective

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Also, if you read a little futher in the T/O checklist, it states:

"During takeoff, maintain directional control using nosewheel steering until the flight controls

become effective."

Additionally chapter 6-1 gives you: "The rudder becomes effective at approximately 50 KIAS"

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

Bavarian Airforce all the way

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

Normally you should switch NWS off around 80 kts, when the rudder gets effective

At least in a C-160 :)

sharkfin out!

NEW RIGRYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

chapter 6-1 gives you: "The rudder becomes effective at approximately 50 KIAS"

The important thing is that on the DCS A-10 the rudders are becoming effective way too early. Below 20kts.

That's definitely sufficient to start the takeoff roll with the steering off.

Didnt nws autodisengage above 70 knots?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Didnt nws autodisengage above 70 knots?

Cannot reproduce that. I tried the responsiveness of the rudders during T/O run this morning. You do have some between 25-40 KIAS but I think you cannot counter any winds during that low speed. With 40-50 KIAS everything is ok. Tested was the instant T/O action in Georgia.

sharkfin out!

... I think you cannot counter any winds during that low speed.

Well, that's quite obvious. That said, you could of course use asymmetric braking as well until the rudders are becoming effective ;)

There's no automatic engage/disengage system on NWS.

That is really odd considering that liftoff occurs past 70 knots thus NWS must be off to handoff authority to the rudders and prevent nose over from aggressive nose wheel turning.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

... That said, you could of course use asymmetric braking as well until the rudders are becoming effective ;)

I guess you could? But then you run the risk of activating your anti skid, while prolonging your takeoff roll. Just do what was mentioned a couple posts back, use NWS until you build up airspeed; I've always used 80 KIAS (I think that's in the DCS A-10C manual) but apparently 50 all the way down to 20 works fine.

That is really odd considering that liftoff occurs past 70 knots thus NWS must be off to handoff authority to the rudders and prevent nose over from aggressive nose wheel turning.

Honestly I don't think it's a problem. Every pilot driving an A-10 know how to dance on pedals.

Just do what was mentioned a couple posts back, use NWS until you build up airspeed; I've always used 80 KIAS

The only reason why I suggested to turn of the steering early is because the OP mentioned problems with an oversensitive steering.

@AMVI_Groove, the A-10 is not a crappy old tail dragger. No need to dance on the pedals in a jet ;)

That is handled by squat switches on the main gear. When the squat switches open on both main gear, NWS disengages.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: