Kh-31A in SU-33

JunMcKill

Yeha that would be nice if we had su33 with anti ship capabilities too, though it seems ED isnt going to be expanding capabilities of any FC3 aircraft , only updating thier FM and 3D model at best.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

As much as I would like to see the Kh-31A added, its just not realistic. The real Su-33 doesn't have the avionics capability to launch such a missile.

It would be much better if ED can implement the SVP-24 air-to-ground targeting system which was recently installed on the Su-33s.

http://www.janes.com/article/63822/russian-carrier-based-su-33-fighters-receiving-new-bombing-computer

As much as I would like to see the Kh-31A added, its just not realistic. The real Su-33 doesn't have the avionics capability to launch such a missile.

It would be much better if ED can implement the SVP-24 air-to-ground targeting system which was recently installed on the Su-33s.

http://www.janes.com/article/63822/russian-carrier-based-su-33-fighters-receiving-new-bombing-computer

Interesting. The article reads as though the SPV-24 is a system that calculates a release point for bombs to hit a pre-defined location, e.g. a fixed target. If I remember a number of MiG-25s had a similar system years ago for high altitude supersonic bombing.

It'd be great to have that capability in DCS.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

LOL...not this again.

JunMcKill, as others have already said, the Su-33 never had that capability. The Su-33 has practically the same WCS as the Su-27 - only differences being an improved EOS and navigation system.

There was an early proposal by Sukhoi for a multirole upgrade including a new radar and ability to deploy an airlaunched version of the Moskit missile, but it didn't materialise.

The airshow photo you posted is just "visualising" such an upgrade, but the aircraft is actually one of the early test airframes - more specifically the T10K-5 (bort # 69) from 1990, which certainly didn't have such an upgrade. :)

LOL...not this again.

JunMcKill, as others have already said, the Su-33 never had that capability. The Su-33 has practically the same WCS as the Su-27 - only differences being an improved EOS and navigation system.

There was an early proposal by Sukhoi for a multirole upgrade including a new radar and ability to deploy an airlaunched version of the Moskit missile, but it didn't materialise.

The airshow photo you posted is just "visualising" such an upgrade, but the aircraft is actually one of the early test airframes - more specifically the T10K-5 (bort # 69) from 1990, which certainly didn't have such an upgrade. :)

Ok and the same for the SU-25T? is unable to launch such missiles?

su25_01.jpg

Or only part of modernization of SU-25T to TM with the Kopyo system?

hv2zwx.jpg

Edited by JunMcKill

Interesting. The article reads as though the SPV-24 is a system that calculates a release point for bombs to hit a pre-defined location, e.g. a fixed target. If I remember a number of MiG-25s had a similar system years ago for high altitude supersonic bombing.

It'd be great to have that capability in DCS.

Yes, wouldn't that be nice in DCS considering it was developed in the mid-90s. Anyways, that's hoping for too much I guess. Its just sad that there's no hint of development of a Russian DCS 4th Gen fighter bomber.

@JunMckill, the Su-25T can only launch the KH-31A missile due the addition of the Phantasmagoria ELINT pod. Not sure why Phantasmagoria ELINT pod can't be installed on a Su-33 though. Would be nice if possible!

Ok and the same for the SU-25T? is unable to launch such missiles?

su25_01.jpg

Yes and no :) .

It cannot deploy the radar guided Kh-31A(anti-ship variant) because the aircraft doesn't have a radar to acquire targets for it/guide it. The further developed Su-39 can carry a radar pod(Kopyo-25) for the purpose, but this aircraft is not in service(only exists as prototype).

Edit: as per your second photo :)

The Su-25T can technically deploy the anti-radar version(Kh-31P) when carrying a dedicated designator/guidance pod(" Phantasmagoria") for it. However, whether its a practical capability is another question - the Kh-31 missile requires launch conditions in terms of speed and altitude(to be effective), that the Su-25T would struggle to meet.

BTW the missile in the photo is not a real missile, but a test round(hence the red colour and test markings).

Edited by Seaeagle

@JunMckill, the Su-25T can only launch the KH-31A missile due the addition of the Phantasmagoria ELINT pod.

Kh-31P - the anti-radar version.

Not sure why Phantasmagoria ELINT pod can't be installed on a Su-33 though. Would be nice if possible!

Word is that the Su-33 has recently been upgraded with the L-150 RWS, in which case it would not necessarily need an external pod for guiding anti-radar missiles, since the L-150 system has(or can have) this as a "built-in" feature. I don't know if it is included with the upgrade though - haven't been able to find any information suggesting that it is.

Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=100126

First, the Russian name for the missile(3M80) is "Moskit"(Mosquito), while the NATO reporting name is "Sunburn" - i.e. same missile.

The missile so far only exist as SSM(surface-to-surface missile) and in its current version arms varies naval vessels under the Russian designation P-270(NATO: SS-N-22 "Sunburn").

It cannot - In the early nineties there was a development for an airlaunched variant designated Kh-41 for arming the Su-33(among others), but it was abandonned.

The weapon's control system of the Su-33(SUV-33) is practically identical to that of the Su-27 - the only difference being modifications to the navigation system and integration of a more potent EOS. The radar(NIIP-N001) is the same as the one in the Su-27 and has no air-to-surface modes.

So to answer the question of the thread starter - the air-to-ground armament of the Su-33 consists of unguided rockets and bombs of varies caliber. No ASMs available.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Kh-31P - the anti-radar version.

Thanks!! :thumbup:

Word is that the Su-33 has recently been upgraded with the L-150 RWS, in which case it would not necessarily need an external pod for guiding anti-radar missiles, since the L-150 system has(or can have) this as a "built-in" feature. I don't know if it is included with the upgrade though - haven't been able to find any information suggesting that it is.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Oh and BTW, does anyone have any image of the L-150 Pastel RWS? Really curious about this as I've searched the Internet and have come up empty handed.

Oh and BTW, does anyone have any image of the L-150 Pastel RWS? Really curious about this as I've searched the Internet and have come up empty handed.

You and me both :) .

You can find specifications and description on how it works - e.g. this:

http://eng.ktrv.ru/production_eng/323/529/530/

But as far as finding images showing how its displayed to the pilot......well :) .

Yes, wouldn't that be nice in DCS considering it was developed in the mid-90s. Anyways, that's hoping for too much I guess. Its just sad that there's no hint of development of a Russian DCS 4th Gen fighter bomber.

@JunMckill, the Su-25T can only launch the KH-31A missile due the addition of the Phantasmagoria ELINT pod. Not sure why Phantasmagoria ELINT pod can't be installed on a Su-33 though. Would be nice if possible!

because there are no Fighter-bombers or Multirole aicraft that ED can really tackle. the RUssian MOD under putin are really really paranoid about letting secrets out, even when there are none to be hidden.

Hence ED decided to scrap their plans of an Su27SM and a Mig29SMT, due to anticipated problems, since thier Headquartered in Moscow.

So while i wouldn't discount the possibility of a Su27 and Mig29 ( full fidleity versions of the vanilla aircraft from FC3) I wouldn't count on any truely modern fighters like the Su30, Su34, or even modernized Su27SM or MIg29SMT any time soon.

Their all still fairly modern, and the RU MOD under the current administration just don't have the same sort of transparency the US DOD has. ( hence proving this observation, that ED isn't making just any F/A18C, not a 1987 model, not even a 90s era model, but a 2000's era lot with a upgraded nav system, also receiving HCMD, and possibly even Aim9X's)

So there really are no fighter bombers we can get, I think at Best we could get a Su24M possibly, but thats a dedicated strike jet, something like a russian F-111 counterpart, which also does have antiquated avionics by today's standards, but at least it be modern era et since its still in service today.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD