About asymmetric payload trim

fangyutong

Tested "double ugly" cat launches today, sans targetting pod of course. You really need to dial in the correct amount of aileron trim to keep straight on launch. Any sort of guide or rule of thumb on this? Was around 24 - 36 on FCS page for aileron trim difference.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Aileron trim. While the Hornet has automatic pitch trim, it does not have automatic roll trim.

Can we have asymmetric payload pounds-feet table on rearm page?

Or it's too hard for us to know how many differential degree to trim.

Tested "double ugly" cat launches today, sans targetting pod of course. You really need to dial in the correct amount of aileron trim to keep straight on launch. Any sort of guide or rule of thumb on this? Was around 24 - 36 on FCS page for aileron trim difference.

It is mentioned in NATOPS/Charts available online. You have to calculate the weight on each wing. Does anyone have a list of the weights of each weapon?

It is mentioned in NATOPS/Charts available online. You have to calculate the weight on each wing. Does anyone have a list of the weights of each weapon?

You see the weight each weapon adds in the rearming window when rearming.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I always thought assymetric loads had to be trimmed out prior to cat launches. Interestingly, I've already heard from two hornet pilots that only longitudinal trim is set prior to takeoff. You deal with the roll assimetry yourself once airborne

I always thought assymetric loads had to be trimmed out prior to cat launches. Interestingly, I've already heard from two hornet pilots that only longitudinal trim is set prior to takeoff. You deal with the roll assimetry yourself once airborne

Depends on how much asymmetry, according to NATOPS. If there's only a limited amount, you need not bother. Above this, prior trimming required.

Depends on how much asymmetry, according to NATOPS. If there's only a limited amount, you need not bother. Above this, prior trimming required.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing they never had to deal with a real-life situation with enough assimetry to require trimming prior to launch, and assumed it was simply not used. I will bring this up with them and see what the response is. Good to know Natops has us covered yet again.

I the Sim if you don't trim with double ug it feels like you're going to rip off the cat sideways and you're rolling hard as soon as you leave the deck. I would think you'd want to trim for that out a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Then I'd say DCS' flight model probably needs to be looked at. If that were the case in real life the real drivers wouldn't casually dismiss this question the way they did when it was raised (by saying they never did it and never saw it being done).

All in all, whether it behaves like the real thing in that specific scenario is irrelevant imho. If I ever find myself launching with assymetric loads I'll just trim the thing and have a safe launch. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited for typos.

Then I'd say DCS' flight model probably needs to be looked at. If that were the case in real life the real drivers wouldn't casually dismiss this question the way they did when it was raised (by saying they never did it and never saw it being done).

All in all, whether it behaves like the real thing in that specific scenario is irrelevant imho. If I ever find myself launching with assymetric loads I'll just trim the thing and have a safe launch. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited for typos.

Well, no. You need 11,000ft.lbs of asymmetry before you need lateral trim, so it's quite possible the reason the RW pilots never saw it is because they were never mad enough to load all their stores on one wing!

What's exact payload by pylons for double ugly?
I took this from a photo of double ugly online and did my test with this:

1 - aim 9x

2 - gbu-12

3 - gbu-12

4 - aim 120c (in place of tgp)

5 - fuel tank

6 - aim 120c

7 - fuel tank

8 - gbu-12

9 - aim 9x

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pretty much any double ugly configuration is any payload that involves a fuel tank on the centerline, and another one on the inner pylon on the starboard wing (always starboard to not obstruct the TGP's field of view on the portside).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Hope this helps guys. This can be found in the:

F/A-18A-D Hornet PCL (Pocket Check List) NATOPS

A1-F18AC-NFM-500 p.28

You need to know your weapon weights and apply the chart accordingly. I use it quite often.

Edited by NineLine

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR

So we should be trimming stabs not ailerons then?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

your trimming your ailerons and as such cannot be done until wings down or on the cats

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Hope this helps guys. This can be found in the:

F/A-18A-D Hornet PCL (Pocket Check List) NATOPS

A1-F18AC-NFM-500 p.28

You need to know your weapon weights and apply the chart accordingly. I use it quite often.

That's in foot-pounds, i.e. pressure (if I'm not mistaken). We have no way to calculate the foot-pounds from the weapon weight we get in DCS without additional information on stores position.

your trimming your ailerons and as such cannot be done until wings down or on the cats
My bad I misread the chart. So ailerons and horizontal tail trimmed as one. Gotcha.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As dumb as it sounds it works, up too you whether you wanna try it or not. Here is a link to my previous PCL uploads, weapon weights are in there and is what I use.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218035&page=2