F-15C Tutorial?

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this particular LO:MAC forum, so I'll start by just letting you all know I'm fairly new to the world of Combat Sims. I'm a student pilot in real life, so I thought I'd see what life in the cockpit is like at Mach 1!

I seem to be flying the F-15C more than anything at the moment, and as with every combat sim newbie, I have a few unanswered questions with regards to landing in a fighter jet. So instead of bothering anyone into writing a blog about the ILS and weight : speed ratios, I'd like to know if there's a fairly decent landing tutorial around?

Any help is much appreciated!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skywards,

for there you have been and there you will long to return".

-Leonardo da Vinci

Much appreciated! I completely forgot about Ironhand's site.

Thanks again!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skywards,

-Leonardo da Vinci

Landing is fun and easy once you are used to it... especially in LOMAC hehehehe :thumbup:

Raptor22Sig.jpg

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI S-4

AMD64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz

2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz

eVGA GeForce7950GT 512MB

Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen

Western Digital Cavier 160GB 7200RPM SATA

SoundBlaster Audigy X-Fi

Creative MegaWorks 5.1 THX 550

TrackIR 4 Pro

MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 :joystick:

Ya, landings are actually easy once you get the hang of it. just like RL.

Ironhands site is also good for alot more than just the basics like landing and such, but it's a good place to start.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Instead of making a completely new thread for it, I have another brief question.

I went to use the built in track recorder to document my landings (such a great feature, I love this sim!), but for some reason it just won't work.

Now, I followed Ironhand's "Make your own tutorial" text, but for some reason it just won't work.

Suppose I was to select the quick fly (F-15C) mode from the main menu, should I theoretically be able to record everything I do from the moment I press "Ctrl+R"? Or do I need to create a mission and fly that?

It's probably some tiny little factor I'm overlooking, which is preventing me from recording a track properly.

As always, any help is totally appreciated!

Edit: It's all good now! I figured it out. Thanks for reading, though ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Leonardo da Vinci

Are you pressing Ctl+R INSTEAD of pressing the FLY button? That is what you need to do. Also, when you fly the quick fly missions, I think they take you straight into the mission which means you cannot record them.

If you really wanted to record one of the quick fly missions, use mission editor then navigate the file structure till you find the quick fly and run it from there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Yeah, it turns out I had to create my own missions from scratch to use the record function. I made an entire campaign with a back story and everything (took me the guts of about 3 days) and because I had it saved etc, I wasn't able to record it. It seems to act the same way as the quick fly mission.

I'm not too annoyed, the campaign was really just a test to make sure I'm water tight, before making some actual campaigns.

I figured out the recording after a while, it's a cool little idea!

Thanks again for all the help!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Leonardo da Vinci

Ya, the record is nice. it's especially great for making movies.

w00t! 1000th post!

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Hehe, congratulations ;)

I'm slowly getting used to all the systems now. I haven't even touched combat just yet, I'm still trying to get to grips with differents weights, thrust vectoring and spin recovery.

And the best part is: I'm actually loving every moment of this learning curve!

I can't wait to sink my teeth into combat! I'll need to buy an X52 soon, though. I think I'll invest in hardware bit by bit. Track IR looks Deeelicious too! I'm still a student, so I'll have to pace myself :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Leonardo da Vinci

Try to get a feel for your plane. Avionics systems are a bit dumbed down from more serious sims, but it is in combat, formation flying and tactics where lomac truly shines. It's a very competitive and addictive game.

I recommend starting with setting everything to "Ace" settings but enabling external views in the options difficulty menu. Then go through all the standard training missions that are specified to work with 1.12a/b, followed by the f-15 training missions.

Once you got all that down well look through all the controls. Map what you think you need on your stick (you will not map enough, but this will at least give you something to build on :).

Three important multiplayer tips for the beginner:

Alt+Home and Shift+Home for engine spool-up. Ctrl+C for Toggle open/close Canopy

Learn to identify Friend from Foe(=IFF) before joining a MP game in Hyperlobby (or people will get very pissed). Note : F-15s CANNOT IFF completely while having a lock!

When it comes to radar control it is very important to realize when in BVR (keyboard : 2) mode the radar cone automatically adapts towards the horizon. If you want it to pitch along with your noze, that requires some radar slewing practice.

Some of these tips may seem a bit distant to you at the moment, but see if you can remember them for future situations.

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

I didn't know about the IFF MP scenario. I fly the F-15 (it was a natural decision, can't explain why), so it's good to know.

I've engaged in combat and I'm getting to grips with combat modes (boresight, TWS modes etc).

I won't even think about MP until I can cruise (keep my heading, and altitude and watch my airspeed properly) and then land with no hitches. Now, I can do this in MSFS X, cause I'm not going mach 1 or 2, but it's a different ballgame here.

I honestly can't wait to fly with some of you guys. I'm sure it's going to be a pain in the ass learning all the ropes of MP life in LO:MAC, like with any online sim, but when I get over the newbie speed bumps I'm sure there'll be countless hours of fun to be had.

I've only had LO:MAC for about two weeks, and already I'm having seriously good fun. As always, a major thanks to the community, you guys have made my transition in Lock On like slipping into a warm bath!

Thanks again!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Leonardo da Vinci