ASH degraded alignment quality

Eldur

Anyone else noticed that the INS alignment quality after an ASH alignment is considerably worse than after a full alignment without Stored Heading checked in the ME? Had the TVV and bomb fall line plus corresponding symbology off by up to a degree or two, depending on my heading with the ASH alignment. With the full one which takes 7.5 - 8 minutes ashore, this doesn't occur.

Also, see my post here about this issue, has some screenshots twilightsmile.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'm having the same issue as your pics, and I don't know what happened. It definitely has something to do with INS & the carrier. I don't know much about the ASH alignment though. I always do a Fine INS alignment, but for whatever reason I started getting this issue.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

The DCS F-14 manual states, that an ASH alignment is less accurate than a normal alignment.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Good to know... somehow must have skipped that sentence. Probably since it's within all that RIO stuff and I just read the "pilot's sh!t" first rdlaugh.png

Good enough reason to take that extra wait. Brings up a question though:

Is it possible to do the full alignment even with Stored Heading present? twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Good to know... somehow must have skipped that sentence. Probably since it's within all that RIO stuff and I just read the "pilot's sh!t" first rdlaugh.png

Good enough reason to take that extra wait. Brings up a question though:

Is it possible to do the full alignment even with Stored Heading present? twilightsmile.png

Yeah, it is possible and it's also in the navigation part of the manual, which probably classifies as "RIO shit" :D

No further action from the RIO is needed, ASH align will continue and ASH will remain on the TID as an advisory. Pressing once on the STORED HDG ALIGN on the CAP will end the ASH align and initiate normal alignment. The ASH acronym will disappear. Pressing the STORED HDG ALIGN a second time will reinitialize the stored heading alignment, however ASH won’t be displayed on the TID anymore.
http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#stored-heading-alignment

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On ground, the ASH quality shouldn't be much different from a normal full fine alignment. However, what you described can be a result of various effect: from as simple as selecting GND (align) instead of CVA when performing an alignment on a carrier; but also releasing parking brakes and moving, drift accumulated in flight, or an IMU/INS failure. Being the RIO ain't easy job :).

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/