pc locking up

Hopefully someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I thought i had one problem but now I'm not sure.

Randomly and quite a lot my keyboard would disconnect then reconnect straight away. i knew this as it's backlit and the lights would go out then come back on along with sounding the usb disconnect sound.

Along with this sometimes my mouse curser would freeze and only move in really small jerky movements with two beeps through the speakers every time i pressed a mouse button. When this happened i couldn't do anything apart from turn it off at the switch then back on again.

I changed the keyboard for a normal one and thought i had sorted it as the usb disconnect stopped and all seemed fine for a few days. Today the mouse locked up again but the keyboard still worked. I changed it for a standard mouse but it did it again.

Any ideas please.

Go to Control Panel, Device Manager. See if you have a USB issue. The folder will be opened if there is an issue.

Make sure you don't have an outdated USB driver for your MB or add-in card.

Make sure you're using a powered USB hub instead of a passive hub.

Try a different USB port, MB to add-in; add-in to MB for example.

The last paragraph is interested. I'm assuming your first keyboard/mouse was a wireless one? And you swapped the keyboard for a wired one, but kept the wireless mouse? Then you might have a 2.4GHz interference. Cordless phones or Wifi using 2.4GHz band.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the reply. No they were both wired but the keyboard was backlit and the mouse had loads of extra buttons. Both were madcatz ones.

I've tried updating drivers for the mb, keyboard and mouse and different usb pets. They've always been plugged into the same ones with no problems. Device manager doesn't show any problems

Is it possible the psu is playing up?

Maybe your USB motherboard "hub" is overloaded. I've seen this happen with Saitek X-55. I had to buy a dedicated USB3 card to be able to have enough power for everything.

Try to disconnect all USB devices except for the KB and Mouse and test it. If you will still have the problem, then it's either an incoming HW failure of the Motherboard or you have a chipset driver issue. Reinstalling chipset drivers could help in this case, USB3 drivers for example too.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

^This is very likely. Not enough juice on the USB ports.

What motherboard do you have ? Many of the "Gamer" boards nowadays feature better USB stability than older boards and less expensive boards in pre-build machines.

It's not the PSU ( very unlikely ) but could well be an overloaded board on it's USB ports.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Might have degraded over the years.

If you can, connect a POWERED USB-hub to your motherboard's USB port(s){ try them all if needed } and see if that cures it.

YOu can run Asus Ai-Suite and check the Voltage parameters, if they are more than 5% off the value you do have an issue with your PSU. For example, a 3.3V value should not be at 3.15V, that will cause issues. At 2.95v it will fail, had that myself years ago. To be fair, that can be PSU but can also be motherboard. You would have to change PSU to a good one to test which one causes the voltage drop.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

When we say "powered" we mean an external HUB that has it's own 110v/220v Adapter to power the hub.

All ports on your motherboard are powered by the motherboard. Some just do not deliver enough juice to drive the devices without errors..over time things degrade etc..

Try a "powered" ext. Hub that comes with an AC PowerAdapter

This is getting even more frustrating now. i just loaded into a flight and the mouse stopped working again. Beeps every time is moved or a button pressed. All other usb devices worked perfectly though. Warthog, keyboard and track ir.

I haven't got the usb card yet.