Is is just me or is this aircraft.... - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
Panther 976

Is it just me, or the Tomcat feels easier to trim after the update ?

Spotted this line in the changelog : "Adjusted default starting pitch trim"

Last edited by Panther 976; 05-21-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Panther 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
Spirit X

I'm not sure I've noticed that but I have noticed that sometimes the trim has no effect. What I mean by that is that I usually have the controls indicator on screen, so I can see the effect of trim on the little diamond and when I hit trim up or down on my hotas, sometimes it just won't move. Then I have to hit it a few times for it to have an effect.

Could be my joystick of course but I haven't seen this happen in any other aircraft and I'm not sure if this is since the update or if was present before.
Spirit X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
fat creason
3rd Party Developer

No adjustments to the trim itself were made, just changed the default starting position of the pitch trim to be more nose down. More or less a QoL adjustment so it's already trimmed for a cat shot.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #14
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

I would actually argue that the Tomcat has one of the precisest trims in DCS. We spend really a lot, I mean A LOT of time fine tuning it and getting it right. I think I personally drew fat creason (and our SMEs) crazy, lol, because I am so often infuriated by how laggy, or too large or too small trim can sometimes be in sims, while it is such an important part of flying non-FBW aircraft and aircraft without auto-trim. It really is the bread and butter of a stable, precise flight. You just never stop trimming. This is also why autopilots exist, in parts, because sometimes you do not want to focus on trim. However I suggest to use it restrictively, as it will interfere with your learning curve of course. The more you trim the more second nature it becomes. Not 100% of the time, but most of the time I would say that I trim automatically by now, without thinking much about it. Once you are really fine trimmed very small stick deflections will do, too, however, with the occasional trim in between. It is simply a matter of getting used to.

Please note: the Tomcat is known to "untrim" itself constantly in cruise speed. That is simply a flight characteristic of the bird. You can compare that easily: fly slow around 200 to 250 kts and you will notice that you need a lot less constant trimming than flying around 300 to 400 kts.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Last edited by IronMike; 05-22-2020 at 04:12 AM.
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:19 AM   #15
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit X View Post
I'm not sure I've noticed that but I have noticed that sometimes the trim has no effect. What I mean by that is that I usually have the controls indicator on screen, so I can see the effect of trim on the little diamond and when I hit trim up or down on my hotas, sometimes it just won't move. Then I have to hit it a few times for it to have an effect.

Could be my joystick of course but I haven't seen this happen in any other aircraft and I'm not sure if this is since the update or if was present before.

It is possible that on a short press your input is just "too short" to be registered. This sometimes happens on my saitek, while it doesnt on my virpil, vkb and WH.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #16
Spirit X

Well sadly I had a look at my hat switch in the windows game controllers and looks like when I press it up, it's registering intermittent. So just my joystick getting old and not any kind of Tomcat issue.
Spirit X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #17
Shaemus O'Donnelly

I do not use trim very often in the tomcat tbh.

You can get around it most of the time with the autopilot. Just switching on the AP will get you a rudimentary attitude hold AP. I basically use this from right after takeoff until i either make my landing break or until i have to manouver hard (or precisely).
In cruise i also switch on altitude hold and heading hold.

If i want to get trimmed out behind a tanker, i keep it in attitude hold and try to get it steady behind the tanker. Once i am firmly established in the observation position, i turn AP off and it hands me a perfectly trimmed out plane that i can stick it in with. Giggity. And it is the same for getting trimmed out at 800/350 for my recovery initial. Use attitude hold to steer you on course, turn on all APs once you are at 800' on course and disable it when passing the ship.

That way, i basically only have to use trim on downwind in the landing phase and as i am getting heavier during AAR, as well as in dogfights & surface attack.

Last edited by Shaemus O'Donnelly; 05-22-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Shaemus O'Donnelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #18
Chuck_Henry

The NATOPS Flight Characteristics section mentions trim all over the place. The "significant" trim changes associated with flaps/slats movement, the trim rate in pitch being slow, having to run trim nearly continuously when accelerating in full afterburner, and it being "very difficult" to achieve hands-off trim with the wings moving are the highlights to me.

Yeah, the F-14 was a bitch to trim in real life, and the sim reflects that.
Chuck_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #19
Weasel19

become a trim master, it's our only hope, I mapped it to the arrow keys and just use them all the time works for me untill a new joystick gets here.
Weasel19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #20
ebabil
Veteran

My main problem is, before I touch down the deck, my plane is so slow at aoa speed while auto throttle is engaged. So while I make corrections to left or right, plane tends to roll more than I want. I easily loose runway alignment

Youtube
Z390 / i5 9400F / Gtx1070 / 16 GB Ram / 500 gb SSD and 1 tb HDD // CH Fighterstick - MS FFB2 - TM Warthog Throttle and Stick - CH Pro Pedals - TrackIR 4
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote