How does this plane compare to the F86 Sabre - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
jfri

Default How does this plane compare to the F86 Sabre

I own the F86 Sabre but found it very difficult to fly as soon as I left the basics like taking off.
I understand that Mig 15 is a similar plane. So how is it with regard to quality of content like missions tutorials compared to F86 ? How easy is it to fly and fight in ? I have only had time to try the startup and take off tutorial
jfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfri View Post
I own the F86 Sabre but found it very difficult to fly as soon as I left the basics like taking off.
I understand that Mig 15 is a similar plane. So how is it with regard to quality of content like missions tutorials compared to F86 ?
It is pretty similar, it has 5 training missions, 3 single missions and 23 Quick start missions (distributed on 4 Maps, many similar to each other). It has no built-in Campaign.

For comparison, the Sabre has 9 training missions, 6 single missions and 23 Quick start missions on 4 maps. It has no built-in Campaign.

Both are hampered by lack of period assets, and that is probably the reason why there are not many User missions for them. I edited a set for the Mig-15 and had to resort to using Mods and the WW2 Assets Pack:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233110

Quote:
How easy is it to fly and fight in ?
The -15 is easy to fly but hard to master, I flew it for a while, more to experience the evolution between planes like the P-51 and the early jets, rather than intending to do any multiplayer air combat.

Quote:
I have only had time to try the startup and take off tutorial
Not good .. nothing is better than your own experience, you should take advantage of the opportunity of the current free-to-try and actually try the aircraft yourself instead of relying on someone else's opinions.

Best regards,

Eduardo
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
Not good .. nothing is better than your own experience, you should take advantage of the opportunity of the current free-to-try and actually try the aircraft yourself instead of relying on someone else's opinions.

After posting this I did tried the AA gun tutorial. Here I noticed the plane was very slow in its turning and roll. Is the plane like this or has it bad performence on my computer ?
Other planes are better in this regard.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Shibbyland

The aircraft was known to have a reasonably slow roll rate as compared to the Sabre. It's particularly bad at the higher speeds. MiG 15 does well in climb against the Sabre although it's worth noting it wasn't supposed to be that much better than the F model Sabre but in game it does still seem to outclimb it.

The MiGs party trick is acceleration, so boom and zoom tactics are your best bet. You're going to struggle to out turn an AI F86 (or at least I do).

I recently bought both the F86 and the MiG 15. I like the MiG more but from a game point of view, it doesn't really have enough content I certainly only got it because it was on sale.
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
probad

acceleration is good but 'boom and zoom' is not how you abuse acceleration
mig is terrible at high speeds, do not dive with it
roll is mediocre to bad depending on speed, but pitch rates should be snappy

the sabre is already an easy aircraft but if you can't handle even that then dont expect to catch a break with the mig
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
acceleration is good but 'boom and zoom' is not how you abuse acceleration
mig is terrible at high speeds, do not dive with it
roll is mediocre to bad depending on speed, but pitch rates should be snappy

the sabre is already an easy aircraft but if you can't handle even that then dont expect to catch a break with the mig

I would say the roll is terrible slow compared to even the other Migs. And the Mig is fighter right ? Then how can it survive in dogfight when turning is so slow ?
Regarding the F86 Sabre feeling difficult. Made that judgement only after trying the navigation session a couple of times and found keeping the altitude difficult. Maybe with a bit of more exercise and patient I might change my mind about it.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
Toriy

Quote:
I would say the roll is terrible slow compared to even the other Migs. And the Mig is fighter right ? Then how can it survive in dogfight when turning is so slow ?...
How Bf-109 can survive against I-16 turning so slow?

For Mig-15 the primary target was B-29, not F-86 or F-84.
Toriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
schurem

I eat AI sabres for breakfast in my MiG. Literally, the nevada dogfight instant action is my daily dose of BFM.

The MiG is not an easy plane. It will stall. It will mach tuck. It will drop wings at inopportune moments. She does seem to have a little more power than the sabre, but not enough to extend at will from them. You need to fly it with care, attention, patience and no small dose of luck.

The best thing about the MiG are the guns however. Such fun. No pansy ratatat, but two big honking 23mm Soviet hate dispensers with a 37mm cyka blyat blyat gun thrown in for good measure. One hit from that and it's all over. So good.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:56 AM   #9
Thinder

Quote:
I would say the roll is terrible slow compared to even the other Migs. And the Mig is fighter right ? Then how can it survive in dogfight when turning is so slow ?
Regarding the F86 Sabre feeling difficult. Made that judgement only after trying the navigation session a couple of times and found keeping the altitude difficult. Maybe with a bit of more exercise and patient I might change my mind about it.
It is a characteristic shared by more than a few Russian fighters of the time, the -17 and -19 also suffered from low roll rates at high speed and it was mainly due to their control system.

So if you find those aircraft roll rate slow in the game, it's nothing strange and there is nothing wrong with the way their flight envelops are simulated in the game, they were so in real life.
Thinder is offline   Reply With Quote