Buy or not? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #21
Alec Delorean

@theinmigrant

can't recommend the module. I'm waiting since release that it get's fixed (2016). FM is extremely off, something like a dirty hack of a plane FM with VTOL capability. You can even hear the pilot's heavy breathing when you "pull some G's". It's not on par with the other DCS modules.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
Flummi

+1
Sorry for giving this statement for the only german 3rd party developer.
PC: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X| MSI B350 Tomahawk| 2x 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)| Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8G| 2x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 1x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Windows 10 Pro 64bit|
Gear: Oculus Rift S| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind|
Flummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #23
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatstar98 View Post
Not sure about freewheeling, the rest are simulated. The systems are completely accurate, specially the Viviane.
Isnt the Viviane almost the only thing that actually is inaccurate because of being classified? For example they said that the symbology is completely different from the real thing

And thats not even going into its "locking" mechanism, how that causes lots of stuttering while moving, and the ranging laser being unreliable.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #24
Quadg

if you ignore whats wrong and focus on whats right you can have fun in the gazelle.

as ramsay said the smaller rotor effects IGE but it will also provide less gyroscopic stability. why she is more unstable in pitch and roll. than all the other helicopters.

my problem is she feels too floaty for a helicopter that is at its airframes maximum weight. with no weapons and a full tank of gas.
the other choppers do a better job of conveying a sense of mass.
and the SAS feeling like it is always on.
and some odd pedal behaviour but I assume that's the fenestron tail.
no VRS. so you can stop on a dime.

I don't regret buying it.

all the helicopters flight models could be improved with the addition of loss of tail rotor effectiveness, for instance. (not the ka-50 for obvious reasons)
so nothing is perfect.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #25
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinmigrant View Post
So how do pilots do IRL to make a freewheeling unit check?
On the ground, it's easy to see the needle split, it occurs as soon as the fuel control is closed i.e. well above the max clutch engagement speed of 34,000 RPM

Quote:
I guess you could throttle down without letting RPM to drop below clutch disengage threshold and that way we should definetly see a needle split with the short arrow always ahead of the long one. If they dont split or if they split with the long one higher than the short one, then the freewheeling unit is broken and the helo must never leave the ground or the simulation is incorrectly coded.
With the Gazelle, it's important you reference which needles you mean as the long/short needles are different to the Huey's duel tacho.

In the Gazelle the long needle is engine RPM @ 25,500 - 43,500 and the short needle the rotor RPM @ 0 - 378

During DCS auto-rotations, my attention is on the airspeed and the short rotor RPM needle, I'm aware of the needle split but it's not my main focus.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #26
countvonaltibar

I'd say buy it without hesitation and get onto the Cold War server we need more Gazelle pilots on there! Agree with much of the above observations and yes more work could be done on it but overall I reckon you'll very much enjoy it as once you get the hang of it it's a fun to fly helicopter.
countvonaltibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #27
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
On the ground, it's easy to see the needle split, it occurs as soon as the fuel control is closed i.e. well above the max clutch engagement speed of 34,000 RPM

With the Gazelle, it's important you reference which needles you mean as the long/short needles are different to the Huey's duel tacho.

In the Gazelle the long needle is engine RPM @ 25,500 - 43,500 and the short needle the rotor RPM @ 0 - 378

During DCS auto-rotations, my attention is on the airspeed and the short rotor RPM needle, I'm aware of the needle split but it's not my main focus.
The needles are the same in both helicopters so we're good.

So you say that RL pilots do freewheeling checks with fuel cutoff? That doesn't seem right to me. I can be wrong.
theinmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #28
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinmigrant View Post
The needles are the same in both helicopters so we're good.

So you say that RL pilots do freewheeling checks with fuel cutoff? That doesn't seem right to me. I can be wrong.
the gazelle does not have a twist grip throttle on the collective. it has a fuel control lever on the roof that you press forward to full and then fuel flow is controlled by a governor.
its French.. I would call the lever on the roof the throttle.

its this lever that Ramsey is referring too. so same as the twist grip in the huey. just in a different place.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #29
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
the gazelle does not have a twist grip throttle on the collective. it has a fuel control lever on the roof that you press forward to full and then fuel flow is controlled by a governor.
its French.. I would call the lever on the roof the throttle.

its this lever that Ramsey is referring too. so same as the twist grip in the huey. just in a different place.
Oh ok, thank you. I guess I was suprised to see the word "closed" in his sentence.

thanks bro.
theinmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #30
Quadg

you cannot really close the throttle in the gazelle. it will only go to idle.
you have a fuel pump switch on the console for stopping it and pressurising the system.

it does mean if the governor fails your only real option is to set the throttle to idle and do an autorotation.
rather than control fuel flow manually like you can with the twist grip in the huey.