Buy or not? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Default Buy or not?

Hi guys,

I was thinking about getting the Gazelle and wanted to ask the community if it is worth it.

For me worth it is based on whether it simulates accurately the systems, engine, transmission, and flight model.

For example, does it simulate?: EGT, freewheeling unit, VRS, torque limits, etc.

Thank you all.
theinmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
swatstar98

Not sure about freewheeling, the rest are simulated. The systems are completely accurate, specially the Viviane.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
xvii-Dietrich

If by "freewheeling", you mean "autorotation" (i.e. landing without engine power, using the auto-gyro effect of the rotor), then yes. I did it a few nights ago... rather harrowing, but I made it down in one piece!
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvii-Dietrich View Post
If by "freewheeling", you mean "autorotation" (i.e. landing without engine power, using the auto-gyro effect of the rotor), then yes. I did it a few nights ago... rather harrowing, but I made it down in one piece!
No, I mean the freewheeling unit. It is a sprag clutch (or other solutions) that prevents the rotor to drive the engine or in the Gazelle case the power turbine.

Can you split the needles in the dual tachometer if you throttle down suddenly?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
nessuno0505

I do not know. But I know the gazelle flight model and behaviour is not as accurate as helicopter models by ED / ex belsimtek. Keep this in mind.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno0505 View Post
I do not know. But I know the gazelle flight model and behaviour is not as accurate as helicopter models by ED / ex belsimtek. Keep this in mind.
Interesting. You have any information as to why is that?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Ok, I just saw in this video that the engine is not correctly modeled so I'll hold off for a while until it gets more love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjp384xws58

Explanation: the long needle (N2) is ahead of the short needle (NR). That could never happen IRL due to the way a helicopter is built.

The only thing that I can think of is that Polyshop coded the long needle to show the N1 which not only isnt how it is IRL but it would not make any sense either.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Quadg

the long needle shows turbine RPM and the short needle shows rotor RPM.

im amazed he managed to start it that way. because you should start the turbine get it to idle at 25000 rpm then increase throttle to 29000 when the centrifugal clutch engages. then wait until the short needle catches up (the rotor). then increase throttle to full keeping the needles together.

in that video he does not wait till idle and just rams the throttle full while its starting. the turbine goes to full and the rotor rpm catches up.. in RL the clutch would have burned out.

in my above example the turbine fails (or it did) if you increased throttle too quickly. and don't keep the needles together.

anyway he is not even close to doing the manual start procedure in that vid.

im going to have to see if that craziness works for myself.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
theinmigrant+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
the long needle shows turbine RPM and the short needle shows rotor RPM.

im amazed he managed to start it that way. because you should start the turbine get it to idle at 25000 rpm then increase throttle to 29000 when the centrifugal clutch engages. then wait until the short needle catches up (the rotor). then increase throttle to full keeping the needles together.

in that video he does not wait till idle and just rams the throttle full while its starting. the turbine goes to full and the rotor rpm catches up.. in RL the clutch would have burned out.

in my above example the turbine fails (or it did) if you increased throttle too quickly. and don't keep the needles together.

anyway he is not even close to doing the manual start procedure in that vid.

I'm not sure you know what a turbine is or how many turbines the Gazelle has. What I described stands, it is not arguable as it depicts Helicopter engines IRL.

It doesn't matter the guy follows or not correct procedures. The behaviour isn't correct anyway.

When you say turbine RPM, do you know there are two of them? Which one do you refer to?

A turboprop engine like the Gazelle usually has a compressor, a compressor turbine and a power turbine. The tachometer MUST show power turbine rpm and rotor rpm. That's how it is.

If the DCS Gazelle shows turbine rpm then it isn't modeled correctly, if it shows compressor rpm then it is not showing what it shows IRL.

Either way it's done incorrectly.

Last edited by theinmigrant; 07-09-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
The video is from 2016, before clutch damage was modelled - if you were to do that in the current version -

the centrifugal friction clutch overheats and destroys it's self due to excessive torque / clutch slip in about 25 seconds.

In game the damage is modelled as a 'bang' destroyed/no functioning engine and shrapnel damage to the engine cowling.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote