Sound Levels With Canopy Operation.

Tinkickef

My main bugbear with the F14 is the sound of the engines when operating the canopy. I usually Taxy with canopy open, closing it at the runway hold line, and opening it when I slow down to Taxy speeds after landing.

Trouble is the external engine sound does not get louder with canopy raised as it should and as other modules do.

This is quite the immersion killer in VR where little things are greater than the sum of their parts.

I can appreciate that it is not a big deal on carrier based missions, but us few landlubbers who are interested in the flying more than the killing, use concrete predominantly and actually enjoy the Taxy out to the active and Taxy back in to stand, really miss this feature.

Are there any plans to rectify this omission?

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I've noticed this too but iirc from an interview with a Turkey Driver, you actually couldn't taxi the Tomcat with the canopy up because it would get damaged from the swaying due to it's length and the relatively small size of the lifting mechanism.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!

Good call. Never thought of that.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I've noticed this too but iirc from an interview with a Turkey Driver, you actually couldn't taxi the Tomcat with the canopy up because it would get damaged from the swaying due to it's length and the relatively small size of the lifting mechanism.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That is not accurate.

I watched Tomcats taxi with them up all the time.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

The legit info from the NAVAIR

CAUTION

The maximum permitted taxi speed and

headwind component with the canopy open

is 60 knots.

4.1.5 Ground Operation Limits.

2. Maximum canopy-open speed — 60 knots.

Just because a pilot says something - doesn't mean it is true. Perhaps his particular squadron were having issues with canopies etc., but in my experience as aircrew - pilots aren't the 'authority' on how an aircraft should/does operate. We had monthly 'standardisation' meetings to try and get the pilots just on my 1 squadron to operate the aircraft the same way....still didn't really happen lol.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The cockpit closing sounds like my granda's den door shutting when we were being loud and she was watching her stories! Or when my friends would sign off AOL Instant Messenger. Kind of the same era, can't quite remember.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You don’t see Tomcats taxiing with the canopy open much, not because they couldn’t, but because there wasn’t really a need to. The Tomcats ECS kicks ass, it’s like a hurricane in there. So aircrews were usually looking to lower the canopy sooner rather than later, to either get warm or get cool.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick