Which Tornado do you want? - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
QuiGon
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 10,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
IDS for sure. ADV looks beautiful, but IDS is the thing. I'd like to have those fancy MFCDs. Won't happen, eh?
Probably not. If we ever get a Tornado (I'm sure it will happen sooner or later) we will probably get the old Cold War version with monochrome displays and a map projector, which would still be a blast!
__________________
Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
Tom Kazansky
Member
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Probably not. If we ever get a Tornado (I'm sure it will happen sooner or later) we will probably get the old Cold War version with monochrome displays and a map projector, which would still be a blast!

If Heatblur took care of this blast... man, too good to be true.


I had the opportunity to fly the Luftwaffe Tornado Simulator 25 years ago. Cockpit was great. Graphics was verry "GPU friendly" Almost no objects on the ground. If somebody told me what a free sim would offer some time in the future....? unbelievable what has happened since then.


Tornado from HB? Take my pre order right now!
Tom Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #13
Rick50
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 108
Default

1. Tornado IDS (interdictor/strike)

I'd buy it!

Actually I'd buy any of the ground attack Tornado versions, it's just that for me, the air defense version doesn't excite me as much, not sure why.
Rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
Gizmo03
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
If we ever get a Tornado (I'm sure it will happen sooner or later) we will probably get the old Cold War version with monochrome displays and a map projector, which would still be a blast!
That's all i want - Gr.1 / IDS with the good old MW-1, JP233 and BL755.
Anyway - i would also appretiate a Gr.4 with Brimstones
Gizmo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #15
AvroLanc
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo03 View Post
That's all i want - Gr.1 / IDS with the good old MW-1, JP233 and BL755.
Anyway - i would also appretiate a Gr.4 with Brimstones
The true Tornado experience would be Gr.1, low level, bad weather, TFR, e-scope, offset aim point bombing, dumb bombs, low level lofts, JP233 etc. The sim of my dreams. And the most likely to happen.

However...a Gr.4 with Brimstone, Paveway IV, Link 16 etc would be an awesome complement to the Hornet and Viper.
AvroLanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Bananabrai
Member
 
Bananabrai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ETSM
Posts: 155
Default

late GR.1 with GR.1B option (possibly even GR.1A option)

I see it as the most versatile Platform. Why?

- The big fuel tanks
- Twin-stub pylons per side, you can fly yourself a SEAD escort with 4 ALARMs while carrying other stuff on the belly
- Even more fuel in the fin
- TIALD, a TGP with temperament
- GBUs
- GR.1B would give us Sea Eagles
- loads of other nice toys

I would take a GR.4 over any ASSTA bird, you can't see s*** on those MFDs
Italian IDS would be nice as well. They got Maverick-rails, though I'm not sure they ever used them with the according "sticks"...
The rest of the nice German stuff would fit on them (MW-1, Kormoran, AGM-88B/C)
And they got colored TV/TABS at some point, but not sure when.
__________________
Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/user?u=9400790 YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Jethrosdetlef


Wish list: DCS: PA-200 Tornado, Improved Combined Arms, Improved Logistics
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
amalahama
Senior Member
 
amalahama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ein helles, bitte
Posts: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
late GR.1 with GR.1B option (possibly even GR.1A option)

I see it as the most versatile Platform. Why?

- The big fuel tanks
- Twin-stub pylons per side, you can fly yourself a SEAD escort with 4 ALARMs while carrying other stuff on the belly
- Even more fuel in the fin
- TIALD, a TGP with temperament
- GBUs
- GR.1B would give us Sea Eagles
- loads of other nice toys

I would take a GR.4 over any ASSTA bird, you can't see s*** on those MFDs
Italian IDS would be nice as well. They got Maverick-rails, though I'm not sure they ever used them with the according "sticks"...
The rest of the nice German stuff would fit on them (MW-1, Kormoran, AGM-88B/C)
And they got colored TV/TABS at some point, but not sure when.


Nice summary!


Personally I prefer GR.4, maybe early ones from the end 90s without brimstones and all the stuff, which may still be classified.
__________________

amalahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #18
AvroLanc
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalahama View Post
Nice summary!


Personally I prefer GR.4, maybe early ones from the end 90s without brimstones and all the stuff, which may still be classified.
With the exception of the added FLIR and GPS, an early Gr.4 is essentially not much of a leap forward over a mid 90’s Gr.1.
AvroLanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
Bananabrai
Member
 
Bananabrai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ETSM
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroLanc View Post
With the exception of the added FLIR and GPS, an early Gr.4 is essentially not much of a leap forward over a mid 90’s Gr.1.
One canon less, but a huge display instead of the CRPMG in the back.
And wasn't the Storm Shadow in right form the early GR.4 days?
However, other weapons do give a lot more satisfaction if you nail it!

A FLIR is very nice, I would really love one, but I would rather not trade it in for the Sea Eagle and JP233.
(As far as I know, those were discontinued on the GR.4)
__________________
Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/user?u=9400790 YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Jethrosdetlef


Wish list: DCS: PA-200 Tornado, Improved Combined Arms, Improved Logistics
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #20
AvroLanc
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
One canon less, but a huge display instead of the CRPMG in the back.
And wasn't the Storm Shadow in right form the early GR.4 days?
However, other weapons do give a lot more satisfaction if you nail it!

A FLIR is very nice, I would really love one, but I would rather not trade it in for the Sea Eagle and JP233.
(As far as I know, those were discontinued on the GR.4)
The TARDIS Tornado Advanced Radar/Map Display Information System, huge display didn’t get installed until a bit later. The early service Gr.4s (Iraq war timeframe), still had the old CRPMG in the back with a digital MFD map for pilot upfront.

Storm shadow and Paveway III were early cool weapons. I’d still rather have a mature Gr.1 for some classic Tornado roles. And a Germany / Central Europe map of course.
AvroLanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.