new night lighting tech only for upcoming maps? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
twistking

Default new night lighting tech only for upcoming maps?

Hello,
does the following statement by Chizh mean, that improvments to night lighting will only and exclusively come with new maps, or does it mean, that we will see it first on upcoming maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizh View Post
Есть. На новых картах.

Current night lighting is a big concern for me and having improvments exclusively on upcoming maps wuld f.e. hold me back from buying any "current" maps, like the persian gulf...

thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
wilky510

If you ask Chizh in a private message he'll most likely respond. He responded to a question i had the same day in English. You're better off getting an answer directly like that. Just don't spam him and be polite. I'm sure he'll get back to you.
wilky510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
QuiGon
Veteran

But please share the answer with us here if you should get one

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
twistking

will do!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
But please share the answer with us here if you should get one

Chizh confirmed, that new night lighting tech will be in new maps only, as it requires significant changes to the maps.

Thats unfortunate and i wish current maps could still get it eventually, but at least it hints at some serious work being done to the night lighting tech.
I hope this is also only about actual terrain lights (city lights, airport lights etc.) and that other improvments would apply to all maps (aircraft nav light visibility, landings lights, strobes, sun/moon transition bug etc.)

Hopefully we will read more about it in an upcoming newsletter...
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #6
Eldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
Current night lighting is a big concern for me

Which night lighting dost thou speak of? It's just pitch black currently... since the forced DS, the virtual citizens seem to be pretty good at this though:

Makes flying at nite a ride through hell... having some airport lighting back again would be the least I'd appreciate very much.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
Which night lighting dost thou speak of? It's just pitch black currently...
I'm not a native speaker. With lighting i was referring to the quality of light or the way a scene is lit.
You are right, that one big problem is the absence of light, or more precisely the low draw distance of lights. But there are a ton of other problems, that are already discussed in other topics (dynamic range, nav light / beaon visibility, sun-moon transistion bug etc.).
With all but the draw distance issue, i don't really see how a map tech overhaul would be needed to fix those though.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
ESAc_matador

I just would like to see other aircrafts lights at distance at night...
ESAc_matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
ThorBrasil

I will be very sad if the old maps do not receive this night technology.

=|HD|: HDD Seagate Híbrido SSHD ST2000DX001 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III, |SSD|: SSD Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III, |GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti, |CPU|: Intel i7-2600k @4.5Ghz, |RAM|: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, |Monitor|: LG 34 LED UltraWide Freesync 21:9 34UM68, |Motherboard|: Asus P8Z68-V Pro, |WaterCooler|: CoolerMaster Seidon 240M.
=|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, |Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals, |Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.
ThorBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Worrazen

That's what I was saying ... need to look 10 years ahead so better that all the core-engine and tech gets done ASAP so you can have a base upon which is expandable and updatable without having to redo it all and avoids situations like this.

There should be infrastructure in place now for all the HDR/WCG stuff so the textures are all ready for when that comes to the users monitors, so textures can be developed earlier and not be outdated so quick.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote