Good Climb Rate - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
GGTharos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
This has nothing to do with what I believe. Most likely test pilots have done quite a few other climb tests, but I'm not aware of other 'secret' performance manuals e.g. F-15 pilots get?
That's ok, I am. There's an entire volume of flight data that I'd love to get my hands on, but they're not just climb schedules. Others are profiles created by squadrons for specific purpose that you'll just not see published anywhere. If you want an example, you can reference the streak eagle profile design.

Quote:
Why would MCD and/or the USAF hide optimum performance data from their manuals, or not include them in the -1?
Ask them. I mean, it's not like I can provide you with the answer to that particular question.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #22
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
Ask them. I mean, it's not like I can provide you with the answer to that particular question.
Ah, ok. I see....
bbrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
Vatikus

Quote:
Well that's obvious The original discussion was, why the F-15 uses the same, rather low IAS for mil and AB climb, while there's usually a big difference for most other planes.
it is important to notice that 350 is until you intercept 0.95 mach then you fly mach number. That being said there are for sure (based on the existance for other planes) tactical manuals for specific climb programs which are not public.
Vatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #24
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatikus View Post
it is important to notice that 350 is until you intercept 0.95 mach then you fly mach number. That being said there are for sure (based on the existance for other planes) tactical manuals for specific climb programs which are not public.
The crossover altitude in this case is already FL330....
I don't think that there are specific climb programs, since there's only one optimum speed at which you can achieve the highest ROC. Flying a high performance jet isn't that complicated

In case of the Streak Eagle I agree with specific climb programs, but that's a completely different case.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #25
Vatikus

Quote:
I don't think that there are specific climb programs, since there's only one optimum speed at which you can achieve the highest ROC. Flying a high performance jet isn't that complicated
But they are and they are not a straight climb either... operationally you want to be at some desired speed at the time of the intercept thus programs involve accelerations in your climb profile. Also available Ps changes with G, and you need G to maneuver, which again influences how to climb for minimum time.
You can say that -1 manual have general profile (whatever it was desired) but you also have tactical minimum time climbs...
Vatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #26
bbrz

Ok, intercept and Gs are an entirely different story. It's only about the optimum climb speed with the maximum ROC. No maneuvering.