DCS: F-14 - Brickdust's "Drunken Sailor" VR Friendly Cockpit - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #21
Pepperpete

Being able to see in VR is worth the minor loss of authenticity. By a long shot. I would pay real money for this on the Hornet. Until the higher end headsets come out, this is really fantastic and something I wish the developers had considered. Although I do get why they keep it pure.
Pepperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #22
Fubarbrickdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMi6 View Post
Just popping in to express my support for this!

Not all of us have the time to play DCS on a daily or even weekly basis so dropping into the F14 RIO seat with VR once a month is a nightmare for me!

I'm lucky I've got a competent pilot that can almost point out from memory where I need to look if I forget but for others I can imagine this being 100% necessary to be able to play.

I'm eager awaiting your RIO seat update. The light up buttons are a nightmare and I'm constantly just pressing them all in order to find the functionality I want rather than pressing the right one first time - again, because I don't play it often enough.

I've created mods myself for other games and applications to help solve similar problems so I know how hard it can be to find motivation when the work in creating the fix means you no longer personally benefit, but please do keep up the good work. It's massively appreciated by the quiet majority
RoyMi6, thank you! Very kind words, and I appreciate them a lot! And I'm glad this mod is seeing life and benefit outside of my use case.

As it happens, the RIO pit is making extremely good progress! - Initially I came up against a very big wall regarding those light up buttons in question. Getting all 3 layers to match up and look cohesive seemed almost impossible (or extremely tedious slow work, which it kinda is) as the related image files are at differing resolutions so quite hard to work with fluidly.

In fact the whole RIO pit seems to be at an alternate resolution (in scale terms) from the front seat, but I've found a workflow that has shown excellent results...so we're back on track. We can expect an iterative update at least by the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Being able to see in VR is worth the minor loss of authenticity. By a long shot. I would pay real money for this on the Hornet. Until the higher end headsets come out, this is really fantastic and something I wish the developers had considered. Although I do get why they keep it pure.
I agree regarding VR. And also about the dilemma for devs. It's a great thing DCS is mod friendly to accommodate for that grey area.

As this is my 1st experience with texture/cockpit modding I've learned an incredible amount, and also really enjoyed the process. As it stands, I've messed with the F-14 pit textures more than I've flown it but am quite happy about it...I can't BVR for shit anyhows!

I am strongly considering making "Brickdust's VR Friendy Cockpit Mod" into a series, for my own benefit as much as others as I fly VR exclusively. The shortlist so far (not necessarily in order):

- AV-8B
- F/A-18C
- M2000C (although this wont be touched until after the mid-life refresh)
- UH-1H (it's not that bad actually..but because I f**kin love this module!)

I reckon I can work out your +1 but I'd also be interested in the opinion of those that fly VR and find the benefits of the current mod. What would be on the shortlist? Which module do we think would benefit the most, first?

Cheers,
Brick.

Last edited by Fubarbrickdust; 04-17-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Fubarbrickdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #23
Larkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbrickdust View Post
As this is my 1st experience with texture/cockpit modding I've learned an incredible amount, and also really enjoyed the process. As it stands, I've messed with the F-14 pit textures more than I've flown it but am quite happy about it...I can't BVR for shit anyhows!

Welcome do Modding.

I spend a few years to mod a Stargate Mod for Stargate Empire at War. Spend Days and nights to model and texture units in 3Ds and check them working in the game. I dont rember ever playing the game. Just mod, check, mod again.

I have a small request for the pilot cockpit. Like every plane we have an analouge compass gauge with 0-360 ect. Could you add the directions on tht gauge? So N for 0, E for 90, S for 180, and W for 270?

Like on the F18 SA Page:

The rason for this is that my wing start to radio on target areas like "Kittyhawk 1-1 coming in from the North, Angels 10, hot"

For me its hard to fly plane, search targets and to calculate what direction used for a heading of 223. I just a man, multitasking is not my best thing.

So having them on the compass would help me a lot in that situations.
Larkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
Fubarbrickdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkis View Post
I have a small request for the pilot cockpit. Like every plane we have an analouge compass gauge with 0-360 ect. Could you add the directions on tht gauge? So N for 0, E for 90, S for 180, and W for 270?
Hmmm...actually, that's not a terrible idea. And would be fairly pain free to implement. I'll have a play with it.

EDIT: Just had a quick play about with the texture...tried a few ideas and settled on one that keeps the numbers and also fits well, looking really natural.

EDIT 2: Just had another play...settling on this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	CompassVAN.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	208930 < Vanilla -- Mod > Click image for larger version

Name:	CompassMOD.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	208931

Included in next release!

Thanks for the suggestion,
Brick.

Last edited by Fubarbrickdust; 04-19-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #25
Larkis

Wow, thank you very much. You are great.

I give 3.0 a try for this exercise day. If had some issues to activate my tacan as pilot. The lower numbers are to big, i see no space between them, just a blurrywhite mess even with VR Zoom. I think that should me more like the original where i never encounter that problems. The problem is not that the numbers are not readable. But for me the numbers touch so its really hard to see.
Larkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #26
Fubarbrickdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkis View Post
Wow, thank you very much. You are great.

I give 3.0 a try for this exercise day. If had some issues to activate my tacan as pilot. The lower numbers are to big, i see no space between them, just a blurrywhite mess even with VR Zoom. I think that should me more like the original where i never encounter that problems. The problem is not that the numbers are not readable. But for me the numbers touch so its really hard to see.
No problem, it was quite a good QOL suggestion.

Are you saying there's an readability issue on the pilot TACAN wheel/numbers with the mod? - I'll look into it and correct/roll back if so.

Thanks,
Brick.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 AM   #27
Fubarbrickdust

Quick update with pics on RIO pit progress...

Only really posting as I'd had a bitch of a time and then a breakthrough with the push buttons/back lighting...not really apparent from flat images, but still.

Wanted to mark the occasion. Totally self serving...won't make a habit of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RioCtrVAN.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	208932 < Vanilla -- Mod > Click image for larger version

Name:	RioCtrMOD.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	208933

The rest is moving along nicely.

Brick.

Last edited by Fubarbrickdust; 04-19-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #28
lucky-hendrix

Great job ! Can't wait

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
lucky-hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #29
GooseAviation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbrickdust View Post
Quick update with pics on RIO pit progress...

Only really posting as I'd had a bitch of a time and then a breakthrough with the push buttons/back lighting...not really apparent from flat images, but still.

Wanted to mark the occasion. Totally self serving...won't make a habit of it.

Attachment 208932 < Vanilla -- Mod > Attachment 208933

The rest is moving along nicely.

Brick.

Fantastic work! Do you have any idea as to when Heatblur will fix the custom cockpits bug?
GooseAviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #30
Harlikwin
Veteran

I strongly support this. Does it pass IC yet? I only really fly the Cat online sooo that matters to me.