Vulkan API - Page 28 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 AM   #271
SonofEil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
I hope it will come soon. There's only one thing I wonder, it's a stupid question, but what happens if you blink your eyelids?
It looks like the first consumer (prosumer?) headset with foveated rendering will be the Vive Pro 'Eye', or whatever they're calling it, expected at some point this year.
The good news is that testers of R&D and proof-of-concept (non Vive Pro Eye) iterations of foveated rendering report performance increases of 40-70% with no perceptible loss in image quality (because you physiologically can't notice the loss). If it's able to track saccadic eye movements with extremely low latency (which it has to to be functional) then blinking shouldn't be a problem at all.
The bad news, as far as we're concerned, is that foveated rendering may be on game developers to support. I have the impression that ED sees VR as the future so hopefully they won't drag their feet in implementing that support.

Last edited by SonofEil; 02-01-2019 at 12:21 AM.
SonofEil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:27 AM   #272
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofEil View Post
It looks like the first consumer (prosumer?) headset with foveated rendering will be the Vive Pro 'Eye', or whatever they're calling it, expected at some point this year.
The good news is that testers of R&D and proof-of-concept (non Vive Pro Eye) iterations of foveated rendering report performance increases of 40-70% with no perceptible loss in image quality (because you physiologically can't notice the loss). If it's able to track saccadic eye movements with extremely low latency (which it has to to be functional) then blinking shouldn't be a problem at all.
The bad news, as far as we're concerned, is that foveated rendering may be on game developers to support. I have the impression that ED sees VR as the future so hopefully they won't drag their feet in implementing that support.

Wearing glasses might be a problem if reflection from eyeglass lens?
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #273
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
Also because DX12 locks out a huge player base that isn't on Windows 10.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

By the time Vulkan is a reality, Win7 will be end of life. So anyone on Win7 is on their own. So I don't think it'll be a deciding factor. SkateZilla had a post that gave the pros and cons of DX12 vs Vulkan once. Shouldn't be too hard to find for those interested.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 AM   #274
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
SkateZilla had a post that gave the pros and cons of DX12 vs Vulkan once. Shouldn't be too hard to find for those interested.
Where can i find it?
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 AM   #275
hansangb
Veteran

I don't remember exactly.

Try using Google:

site:forums.eagle.ru skatezilla vulkan dx12
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #276
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
I don't remember exactly.

Try using Google:

site:forums.eagle.ru skatezilla vulkan dx12
i think is this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7UWYKtZ9ryQejB
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #277
falken76

So does this mean that ED is NOT going to use Vulcan? If not are they working on a new engine that is more modern? Needing 32 gigs of ram in any situation is ridiculous for a game.
falken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #278
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken76 View Post
So does this mean that ED is NOT going to use Vulcan? If not are they working on a new engine that is more modern? Needing 32 gigs of ram in any situation is ridiculous for a game.
They are already on it. Using Vulkan that is.
Spoiler:
Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #279
blkspade

Quote:
The ram usage is a by product of mission size, map size, and assets. All of which have nothing to do with the API. Lowering your pre-load radius will reduce memory usage though.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #280
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Ram is one of the cheapest components to upgrade on any system. IF it would help DCS run faster I'd happily go buy a system with 64 or 128gb of ram.