Memory Limit/Load Issues - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
NineLine
Community Manager

There is no easy way to put this, but 8GB is for the low-end, this means less eye candy and less objects, DCS is speeding away from systems with lower GB totals.

Now the unload Manager should improve things, but dont experience miracles on lower end systems either. Just to manage expectations.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico View Post
By Grabthars HAMMER ... what a savings!

Loaded a mission of mine,
ran it for 2 mins (no flying, just sitting in my pit)

My normal "high" settings = 11.6G of RAM used (@ 2 min mark)
[IMG]img[/IMG]

Changed settings to "low" = 5.1G of RAM used (@ 2 min mark)

[IMG]imgg[/IMG]

Good post, there are things that you can do until the unload manager shows up. You just have to manage your settings based on the level of PC you have.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #13
Snoopy
Veteran

Well I’ve got 32 gigs of ram already and it still takes forever to load most missions. Hoping what’s “in the pipe” corrects it. It’s more of a hassle than anything.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Well I’ve got 32 gigs of ram already and it still takes forever to load most missions. Hoping what’s “in the pipe” corrects it. It’s more of a hassle than anything.
Yeah, I think you guys fall under the heavy mission category too, so I am interested to see how it works for you when the unload manager hits.
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
_e10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Currently ED is testing a solution that will help much of this. The initial version of the dynamic texture unload manager which will greatly improve performance for heavy online missions is currently under test and should be available for users within the coming two weeks.
All good but I dont understand why this was not mentioned before to avoid all that "misunderstanding" of the last few days...
A good example of failed communication
Old 04-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by _e10 View Post
All good but I dont understand why this was not mentioned before to avoid all that "misunderstanding" of the last few days...
A good example of failed communication
I dont know why the term Memory Leak went wild....

For the unload Manager, it was just too early in testing to let out of the box, but now you know. I wish it was a perfect world, but we try the best we can
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #17
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
I dont know why the term Memory Leak went wild....

For the unload Manager, it was just too early in testing to let out of the box, but now you know. I wish it was a perfect world, but we try the best we can
Because majority of the Users saw their ram fill up until the application crashed, especially 8GB/12 GB users.

That behavior implied Memory Leak, because they assumed it was the same for everyone 16, 24, 32GB and up.

The issue isnt a memory leak, it's the Lower Memory Quantity Users running out of memory before the loading process completes, resulting in crash or excessive use of a slower page file, which slows things weaaaaaaaay down.

Pre 2.5 users even w/ 8GB cranked their Preload Radius all the way up to reduce texture loading in game causing stutters,

2.5 Caucasus has a significantly larger memory foot print per 10km^2 than it did in 1.5, Due to higher resolution terrain (mesh and textures), more objects, higher resolution objects (mesh and textures), etc etc.
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro

Last edited by SkateZilla; 04-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
Because majority of the Users saw their ram fill up until the application crashed, especially 8GB/12 GB users.

That behavior implied Memory Leak, because they assumed it was the same for everyone 16, 24, 32GB and up.

The issue isnt a memory leak, it's the Lower Memory Quantity Users running out of memory before the loading process completes, resulting in crash or excessive use of a slower page file, which slows things weaaaaaaaay down.
We own as much of the blame though, we used Memory Leak on our side as well, I think the issue just wasnt understood well at first, and once the Memory Leak term hit the net, it was out there...
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #19
wolle

I am a bit worried that the unload manager will help RAM usage but make in-game stutters worse, as it presumably unloads textures that are not needed at the time, but later in the mission they may become needed again and have to be loaded (leading to a stutter).

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #20
TheDoctor46

Thank you for the update

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.
Is this mem issue also the reason we experience this stuttering in game, even on low graphics setting? In VR for my part, never tried with regular monitor.
I think I have a reasonable good spec computer, at least my february expenses thought so.
I cant have TGP active and Maverick cam open at the same time in the A10C, too much stuttering.
Windblows 10
512 SSD
Virpil MongoosT-50 base with TM Warthog Stick
TM Warthog Throttle & Rudder
Oculus CV-1
Closed Thread