Removing destroyed units

Dusty [CPC]

I'm doing nothing but observing. I asked for this years ago! Again, there is nothing for you to agree with, I'm not suggesting ED do anything but change it. I'm just saying that I don't think they will. In fact...I'm absolutely 100% positive.

I am not going to bore other people with this discussion and will take this further private.

FC

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

What you are doin here is put the ticket to the ED team that they don't need to bother about it.

Not something you need to worry about because bug reports/feature requests don't work like that.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Not something you need to worry about because bug reports/feature requests don't work like that.

Thanks Grimes for the clarification.

[/TABLE]

And after that conversation, my observation and opinion remains.

For clarity:

I'd like burned out vehicles to have the capability of being removed. Yes. Why? It's a small stepping stone towards campaign servers, not the linear one mission by mission stuff, but 24/7 environments. Due to performance and scalability.

I'd also like the following requirements below, that are all aligned to what I see would be a revolution for DCS World:

• Repairable Runways
  • Moveable warehousing and Airfields, mid session
  • Fully fledged logistics, trains and delivery routes that apply to units
  • Engineering (fixing, repairing)
  • Rebuilding scenery (especially bridges)
  • Persistent Units and destruction between "mission sessions"
  • JIP play
  • CPU multithreading and offset AI calculations in headless servers
  • Dedicated server technology on multiple platforms

Which are stepping stones to:

Proper Persistent Dynamic Campaigns

Why would these be good for DCS?

Players would impact a battlefield in many more ways than a "kill count" on day 1. Being part of an alpha strike package that destroyed an airfield, that stopped the CAP, that stopped the SEAD, that stopped the INTERDICTION, that killed the refinery, that made the petrol, that drove the tanks, that were pouring into the country. You can already see the success of the Blue Flag server, where dozens of players worked together to achieve higher level objectives, that absorbed their play over days at a time. Best times I had anyway.

However,

The fact that I am of the opinion that after so many years experience with the product and it's predeccessors, there isn't any obvious move in any other direction but the single mission session type play; ie we cannot clear wrecks, for example, does not mean that I want it, and is not to be infered that I am "directing Eagle Dynamics to give up on our dreams", that's a laughable thought indeed.

I make this assumption based on observation of the trend of DCS, the design it currently aims for (single session mission) and not any whispers or dreams. I'll be the happiest wrong person ever, if that day was tomorrow.

DCSW "DLC Campaigns", and DLC is an important financial consideration from ED. Does the wishlist above support a regular income for ED? I'm not sure I would think so, based on the current Single Player dominance of the market.

Consider the changes under the hood that would be required to move in that direction. It's a big redesign, based on the scale of what is asked for. Support an entire war...not an easily scalable solution, and not on the current platform.

So why did I provide that analysis when it's so negative and works AGAINST what even I want?!

I'm of the Blue Flag mindset. Where you work with what you have. Make the platform do something people never saw before and innovate those things. Work around the things you cannot change. Doesn't mean you don't get to ask for them, no one said that. I want wreck clear ups. I do. But here is the thing, for all the hours spent on reporting these under the hood issues in threads as old as our dogs, what do we have to show for it? What was the return on OUR investment? I simply cannot logically advocate going over the old ground anymore, it makes no sense, we may as well write something from the ground up together.

I am not going to bore other people with this discussion and will take this further private.

FC

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

There was a survey put out by ED regarding peoples play style in DCS - so it's not to say they wont ever considering fixing or addressing these issues. I think they're trying to do some market analysis right now to understand what are the largest groups of players (single player, multiplayer, coop, etc) and from then on they'll decide what the product road map for DCS should look like.

Developer of Kaukasus Insurgency - a customizable Dynamic PvE Campaign with cloud hosting and stats tracking. (Alpha)

http://kaukasusinsurgency.com/

There was a survey put out by ED regarding peoples play style in DCS - so it's not to say they wont ever considering fixing or addressing these issues. I think they're trying to do some market analysis right now to understand what are the largest groups of players (single player, multiplayer, coop, etc) and from then on they'll decide what the product road map for DCS should look like.

Maybe I am talking another language....

Guys, it was possible to destroy Groups in dcs 1.2.6 etc, right before they would burn.

The trick was easy, upon dcs triggering the S_EVENT_DEAD for a unit, you could remove that unit by retrieving its group id, and then destroying the the whole Group object.

So right before the unit would burn you could do this.

But after 1.5 got released, this stopped working.

Many public servers used thus capability to keep a running sim clean from:

- Debris

- Idiots crashing their planes at airbases

And the additional cherry on top of this issue is that since 1.5, the scripting engine cannot destroy anymore a client plane (so a plane with a player in it).

There are tricks that can be done on the server code to manage the client slots, but still, having a scripting engine in control of this process will allow:

- single player missions to support the same

- give missions (= processes and scenarios) control of these things.

The thing is... It would indeed be welcome so see some kind of vision statement communicated, or a fix, or a short note ... Not in public and does not have to be official, because 99.9% of the players won't understand what the note will be about.

Both issues have been reported as bugs, or requirements I believe.

Edited by FlightControl

[/TABLE]

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Hello 2019!

For anyone looking for a workaround, you have to restart the mission still :)

Welcome End of 2020! Maybe 2021 will be the year to get this feature on DCS? :music_whistling:

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Bump - Welcome 2023! Still waiting on a solution for this?

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H80i v2 | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid | 24GB RAM (2x8 & 2x4) | Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb, Crucial MX300 525Gb, WD 1Tb Black | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | 3x 24" 1920x1080 & 1x 20" 1600x900 | EDTracker Pro w/ OpenTrack 2.3 | Thrustmaster T.16000M | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/8/2023 at 5:58 AM, kutterro said:

A friend just pointed me to some new functions within DCS scripting

try looking here:

DCS func removeJunk - DCS World Wiki - Hoggitworld.com

How is this used?

I have a zone with the correct name that I want cleaned up. I have a lua with the script to be initialized at mission start. What else is there I am supposed to do?

Grateful for any help!

Mats

13 hours ago, MatsH said:

How is this used?

I have a zone with the correct name that I want cleaned up. I have a lua with the script to be initialized at mission start. What else is there I am supposed to do?

Grateful for any help!

Mats

Good news , MOOSE has this feature built into it now , woo hoo!

Bad news, if used in multiplayer servers it sometimes crashes the entire server 😞

I am waiting for ED for fix this bug before I try using it again

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2023 at 2:13 AM, HC_Official said:

Good news , MOOSE has this feature built into it now , woo hoo!

Bad news, if used in multiplayer servers it sometimes crashes the entire server 😞

I am waiting for ED for fix this bug before I try using it again

OK. Glad I am not crazy.

I'm trying to write a long lived MP server that reboots every 12 hours.  I have setup zones and RemoveJunk timers.

In testing on a local Dedicated Server I have been getting periodic crashes.  It appeared to be RemoveJunk was the prime suspect.  Sometimes it crashed in 2 hours, sometimes 10 hours.  I'm putting some more logging it to prove it better.  But the intermittent nature makes it impossible to make a track of the event and not much of anything in the log it just stops.

In my Windows Event View I did see the event for the crash last night (Server was only running 2 hours at time of crash).

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.8.7.42718, time stamp: 0x64c27fbc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1928, time stamp: 0x7dd9e350
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c1f9
Faulting process id: 0x0xBB4
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9CB3D6FB94F85
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Server\bin\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: c9bc7c60-875d-4c96-9417-9c5037ef3632
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I think it happened in SP testing on that mission as well.

That's a pity.  I might have to disable that for now.  Which has it's own separate risks. 

I assume this RemoveJunk crashing problem has been reported?

Sigh.   :wallbash:

[EDIT]  I believe this was a crash in SP while testing earlier that day:

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.8.7.42718, time stamp: 0x64c28218
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1928, time stamp: 0x7dd9e350
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c1f9
Faulting process id: 0x0x3028
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9CAFB7C1856BD
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin-mt\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: bae23700-83cb-4519-8bc3-b30eca35d6cf
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edited by [16AGR] CptTrips

• 8 months later...

Has anyone tested world.removeJunk() to remove small groups of bodies or wrecks? I get strange behavior where the removal seems to extend beyond the volume supplied (and sometimes will miss a dead infantry body, but will remove a wrecked LAV on the other side of the body) ???

Is there a minimum radius when using a sphere? Does it treat infantry bodies differently than vehicle wrecks?