How to move 'saved games' to a bigger disk! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
sc_neo

Default How to move 'saved games' to a bigger disk!

So, my c drive is a 128gb ssd and thus doesn't have too much spare space to keep mods in ..../saved games/... . That's why i mostly tried to install mods via OvGME on my bigger DCS ssd drive. But some mods don't work if not installed in saved games, despite the folder structure being the same.

Rudel_chw pointed me to the most simple solution to this not requiering any manual fancy hyper or symbolic links. I have been using windows forever, but did not realize that this is build in functionality.

You simply need to 'right click on Saved Games -> Properties -> Location', then on move at the bottom, choose your new location and apply. It then moves your saved games folder, but keeps a link to that new location in it's previous place on c drive.

I didn't know about this beforehand and did not find this mentioned here on the forums yet. Might come in handy for all with small c drive ssds.

BTW: leaving IC checks and DCS update issues aside for the moment, can anyone explain the actual difference between putting mods into saved games vs placing them in DCS's mainfolder (manually or via JsGME/OvGME); why despite having the exact same folder structure, some mods only work in saved games and not in the main folder, and some work in both?
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_neo View Post
So, my c drive is a 128gb ssd and thus doesn't have too much spare space to keep mods in ..../saved games/...
You simply need to 'right click on Saved Games -> Properties -> Location', then on move at the bottom, choose your new location and apply. It then moves your saved games folder, but keeps a link to that new location in it's previous place on c drive.
Glad that the tip worked for you ... just wanted to point out that you can relocate not only /Saved Games/ but everyone of the special folders that Windows show for your User; so I've done the same for all the other folders as I have lots of Music, Videos and photos .. even my cloud folder is moved to a bigger traditional HDD as documents dont benefit too much from SSD speeds:

Cheers!
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
sc_neo

Yeah mate....that was the first thing i checked out once i read your tip....which other folders have this magical ''Location'' tab in its settings
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Weegie

Thanks for that info Very useful

I've been wanting to move mine for a while as the livereis take up a lot of SSD space
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
=Bobby=

Excellent !!

Thanks for that !
=Bobby= is offline   Reply With Quote