How to move 'saved games' to a bigger disk!

So, my c drive is a 128gb ssd and thus doesn't have too much spare space to keep mods in ..../saved games/... . That's why i mostly tried to install mods via OvGME on my bigger DCS ssd drive. But some mods don't work if not installed in saved games, despite the folder structure being the same.

Rudel_chw pointed me to the most simple solution to this not requiering any manual fancy hyper or symbolic links. I have been using windows forever, but did not realize that this is build in functionality.

You simply need to 'right click on Saved Games -> Properties -> Location', then on move at the bottom, choose your new location and apply. It then moves your saved games folder, but keeps a link to that new location in it's previous place on c drive.

I didn't know about this beforehand and did not find this mentioned here on the forums yet. Might come in handy for all with small c drive ssds.

BTW: leaving IC checks and DCS update issues aside for the moment, can anyone explain the actual difference between putting mods into saved games vs placing them in DCS's mainfolder (manually or via JsGME/OvGME); why despite having the exact same folder structure, some mods only work in saved games and not in the main folder, and some work in both?

So, my c drive is a 128gb ssd and thus doesn't have too much spare space to keep mods in ..../saved games/...

You simply need to 'right click on Saved Games -> Properties -> Location', then on move at the bottom, choose your new location and apply. It then moves your saved games folder, but keeps a link to that new location in it's previous place on c drive.

Glad that the tip worked for you :thumbup: ... just wanted to point out that you can relocate not only /Saved Games/ but everyone of the special folders that Windows show for your User; so I've done the same for all the other folders as I have lots of Music, Videos and photos .. even my cloud folder is moved to a bigger traditional HDD as documents dont benefit too much from SSD speeds:

m8ajpST.jpg

:D Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yeah mate....that was the first thing i checked out once i read your tip....which other folders have this magical ''Location'' tab in its settings :)

Most inside "C:\Users\%username%" folder:

Saved Games, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures...

Any other folder that does not, yo ucan use a "Junction" feature of windows. You can check out this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction

(https : // docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction)

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"

Ok,

Now I messed up and need your help! LOL

I tried to move the "Saved Games" folder to my drive F:, but when I changed the location to F: he put every contents of it in the root of F:, so I looks like a mess.

I'd like to have a folder named "Saved Games" on F: and not everything on the drive root.

How may I undo the initial move, please? I can not find the "Saved Games" folder anymore.

Tks in advance,

Sydy

I tried to move the "Saved Games" folder to my drive F:, but when I changed the location to F: he put every contents of it in the root of F:, so I looks like a mess.

Yes, you should have moved it to F:\saved games\ and not to just F:

How may I undo the initial move, please? I can not find the "Saved Games" folder anymore.

The problem is that saved games is a special folder, so dont try to move it by the usual windows copy/paste.

To fix this you will need to have another drive with enough free space to hold all your previous content of drive F .. if you dont have any then borrow an external drive from a friend.

Now, lets say that the new drive is G: .. create a folder within called "F" and now use windows to move the current contents of F: (minus the folders that were previously on your original saved games) onto this G:/F/ folder. Once finished, your F drive should resemble your previous saved games folder.

Now, open on windows the file C:/users/you-user-name/ ... within there should be a "saved games" folder (the names are localized by windows, so on your portuguise windows it may have a different name) .. right click on that folder and select the "location" tab .. now try to move the contents onto the "G:\saved games" path ... we cant use the F folder as it will likely conflict with your current location for this folder.

Check now the G drive and it should have at least two folders: F and Saved games .. in addition to whatevervthe drive had previously. Copy the contents of F (not F, but the contents) onto your old F: drive ... dont copy saved games just yet.

Now, once again open on windows the file C:/users/you-user-name/ ... within there should be a "saved games" folder (the names are localized by windows, so on your portuguise windows it may have a different name) .. right click on that folder and select the "location" tab .. now try to move the contents onto the "F:\saved games" path

If you cant follow this procedure, contact me by PM and I may be able to connect with you via Teamviewer to help you fix this.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Yes, you should have moved it to F:\saved games\ and not to just F:

The problem is that saved games is a special folder, so dont try to move it by the usual windows copy/paste.

To fix this you will need to have another drive with enough free space to hold all your previous content of drive F .. if you dont have any then borrow an external drive from a friend.

Now, lets say that the new drive is G: .. create a folder within called "F" and now use windows to move the current contents of F: (minus the folders that were previously on your original saved games) onto this G:/F/ folder. Once finished, your F drive should resemble your previous saved games folder.

Now, open on windows the file C:/users/you-user-name/ ... within there should be a "saved games" folder (the names are localized by windows, so on your portuguise windows it may have a different name) .. right click on that folder and select the "location" tab .. now try to move the contents onto the "G:\saved games" path ... we cant use the F folder as it will likely conflict with your current location for this folder.

Check now the G drive and it should have at least two folders: F and Saved games .. in addition to whatevervthe drive had previously. Copy the contents of F (not F, but the contents) onto your old F: drive ... dont copy saved games just yet.

Now, once again open on windows the file C:/users/you-user-name/ ... within there should be a "saved games" folder (the names are localized by windows, so on your portuguise windows it may have a different name) .. right click on that folder and select the "location" tab .. now try to move the contents onto the "F:\saved games" path

If you cant follow this procedure, contact me by PM and I may be able to connect with you via Teamviewer to help you fix this.

Best regards

Tks a lot! I will try that and come back to report! :helpsmilie:

This was ok

THis part not ok. When I tried to relocate back to C, it gives me an error. Even if I try to put back to the default via properties. (See Image bellow)

I am stuck above...

Hi Rudel, hola!

I am stuck as I said. I managed to clean F and move all my other content (except the SAVED GAMES content) to my E, but I can not move forward beyond that...

Look at the error:

kSOplK.png

HELP! :helpsmilie:

Tks in advance,

Sydy

I am stuck as I said. I managed to clean F and move all my other content (except the SAVED GAMES content) to my E, but I can not move forward beyond that...

Looks like your F drive cames from a different Windows install and so your user doesnt have full rights on it.

User rights is a rather lengthy windows subject so it’s not feasible for me to explain it fully here, what I would do is right click on the root folder of the drive and then use the "security" tab to fix the permissions, here is a tutorial that may help you with this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10

If you still cant fix this, feel free to contact me by PM to coordinate a remote session via Teamviewer.

Best regards