Which Tornado do you want? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #31
Mig Fulcrum

Can someone tell me the differences between GR.1 and IDS? I thought they were the same version with different nomenclatures.
Mig Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #32
JagHond

Well, to keep it in short, I guess it's well explained here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244753 ... have a look to those posts by QuiGon, for example.

With best regards.

Last edited by JagHond; 07-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.
JagHond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #33
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Fulcrum View Post
Can someone tell me the differences between GR.1 and IDS? I thought they were the same version with different nomenclatures.
Sure: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=70
In short: IDS (Interdiction Strike) is the interdiction (ground attack) variant of the Tornado while GR.1 is the british designation for their first version (meaning: not upgraded) of this variant.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 07-16-2019 at 07:30 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #34
Bananabrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Fulcrum View Post
Hey, I don't know all of them, but a few.

First you have to understand that the British like to use their own way of designation.

Example: Take a Volkswagen Golf, generation three (1993-1998 or so).
In Germany, people will say "Golf three".
In the UK people say something like "Golf Mk. three" (Mk. stands for mark)
I understand it as a way of clearly stating the generation of something.

The GR1 is their first iteration of an IDS Tornado, or Tornado in genreal, because the row is like that: GR1, F2, F3, GR4.
So in full something like "GR1 IDS", where the "GR" more or less stands for the role "IDS" (InterDiction Strike).
Its their way of describing the role, like the US with F-111, A-10, SR-71, and all those letters as role designation.

Now to the differences.
The planes were very similar across the nations in the early days.
One big difference was the additional fuel tank the British GR1s had in the fin (vertical stabilizer).
As of my knowledge it holds approximately 500kg of extra fuel, so the British could hold up to 5300kg whereas the other two nations birds were at 4800kg of internal fuel.

Another difference was the SMS (Stores Management System, where you configure and select the stores) where Germany had a "digital" one and the British birds had a pretty easy/standard one

A third notably difference is the "Laser Range Finder & Marked Target Seeker" (LRMTS).
Its the right hand sensor (Note that the FLIR on the left side came only with the GR4) and does what it says.
It was not able to designate a target for a guided bomb run.

There are possibly other A/C specific differences, for example the British later on used two small stub-pylons per inboard wing station, whereas the other nations used only one per side.

And then there is the different stores of course.
The British used dual carriers for their iron bombs, so they could fly with 8 instead of 4, or 5.
They sometimes used bigger external fuel tanks (2250L vs. 1500L), although Germany had those big ones as "single use, war time, drop tanks", but never used them as of my knowledge.
The UK had a target designation pod quite some time earlier than the other nations. The TIALD was operational used in the 90s already.
The list goes on.
I guess the different stores which were used are already stated by QuiGon and are also described on wikipedia.

https://www.tornadosig.com/variants.html

Wish list: DCS: PA-200 Tornado, Improved Combined Arms, Improved Logistics

Last edited by Bananabrai; 07-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #35
Lordzarj

>Another difference was the SMS (Stores Management System, where you configure and select the stores) where Germany had a "digital" one and the British birds had a pretty easy/standard one

Not "pretty easy' according to the book I'm reading at the moment "Tornado Over the Tigris" he frequently describes how over complicated it is and how it is too easy to mess up the settings in the short time between IP and the target and not have the bomb release.
Lordzarj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #36
whiteladder

The British also had their own EW fit, they used Sky Shadow Jamming pod and a Boz Chaff/flare pod.

Also I think the ADV version was one of the first Jets to be upgraded with a towed radar decoy
whiteladder is offline   Reply With Quote