Different Outside-World size/distance perception among modules? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
Eldur

In your Mods\aircraft\F14\Input\F-14B\keyboard folder, edit default.lua with an actual editor (like Notepad++, not that old Win 3.11 program that still comes with 10) and add this block:

Code:
-- COCKPIT VIEW FOV / ZOOM PRESETS
{down = iCommandViewZoomAbs, value_down = -1.000000, name = _('Cockpit FOV 30'), category =  _('View Cockpit FOV')},
{down = iCommandViewZoomAbs, value_down = -0.600000, name = _('Cockpit FOV 60'), category =  _('View Cockpit FOV')},
{down = iCommandViewZoomAbs, value_down = -0.200000, name = _('Cockpit FOV 90'), category =  _('View Cockpit FOV')},

Make sure you put it before this part (especially the brackets) in the end:

Code:
})

return res

This will add a category "View Cockpit FOV" to the keybindings with 3 entries in it that will instantly set your FOV to 30, 60 or 90°. These are the values for the Tomcat, most other planes have a FOV range from 20 to 140 where you'd have to adjust the bold numbers accordingly (-0.833333, -0.333333, 0.166666) to get the same FOVs. -1 is always the min. FOV and 1 the max. FOV. Everything in between is linear, so in a range from 20 to 14, the value 0 would set the FOV to 80 whereas in the F-14 it would be 105 instead.

I'm using this for all modules because I just was so used to the zoom system of a well known WWII sim that had those levels mapped to Del, End and PgDn, I just had to find a way to have the same system in DCS and in the end I was glad to find out how it's done. I just have to recheck those files from time to time to see if they got changed by the devs and redo my edits. I created a JSGME mod for those so I can always revert to the default files for updating and throwing in my modded ones afterwards. Of course it's also possible to map those to a stick or HOTAS, but the changes have to be made in the respective file instead then.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Moafuleum

Thank you Eldur, that is indeed very useful!
Do you know by chance if it breaks the integrity check? Do you know if it is also possible to do these steps with a file in the .../Saved Games/... folder to prevent it from being overwritten?

thanks!
Moafuleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
Eldur

It wont break the IC and you have to mod the files in the DCS folder which is why I built it as a mod for myself (made changes to practically every module including some default mappings for views, time acceleration and other global settings).
Old 07-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Moafuleum

Alright, thank you very much!
Moafuleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:18 AM   #15
Talonx1

Do fov changes have any effect in vr? Just curious.
Talonx1 is offline   Reply With Quote