Suggestions where to buy/how to make? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
sk000tch

Default Suggestions where to buy/how to make?

FIrst off I just found this section, very cool stuff you guys are up to. I am inspired

That said, my current question is more modest. I am building a VR cockpit (If that's what you call it?). 8020 frame, center stick (long extension VKB), plans to mount fSSB or whatever the acronym is for their f-16 on right. Currently have a WH throttle because, well, I can't find a better one. I put a small gamepad (basically a 10key wtih 4 additional buttons to mirror UFC buttons to the left of thorttle, and a mouse to the right of side stick). Plans currently have MFDs on a simple mount and a T angled off the center stick mount. Basic VR stuff.

What is absolutely killed me is the seat. I fly a center stick plane irl, which is probably why i enjoy an unrealistically large deflection of the extended Gunfighter II.

This is much nicer than mine (new extra 330) but I would like something like this - note the curved extension, quit similar to the VKB:

The fabric dusts cover isn't necessary, the main point being the cutout. Even the curved stick feels very unaturally too far forward to me. I like to have my legs almost level (seat heigh just a few inches), and at full deflection stick pulled back a good maybe 5-6" from abdomen,with the ability to rest my arm on my leg under straight and level flight.

Does anyone know of anybody that makes a seat with a cut out? I can't find one any where.

The other thing I am considering is making one out of a sprint car type seat. I could pick up an RCI lowback for $50, I could then easily cutout the section required, put a jetseat (the FSE has the coutout as well), and though I'm no seamstress, I am pretty sure I could modify a seat cover as needed. And at $50 for the cover, I would be upset if I mess it up.

Seat I'm talking about: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-8020s
Cover: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-8021s/overview/

You can get fancier but I'm not sure I see the point of high bolsters and such. If I fall out it won't be from G forces. There are lots of other options, aviation stuff is prohibitively expensive, any the highback seats seem like would interfere with headset cord, maybe even tracking, and again, just generally be more than necessary. That said, these aluminum vintage seats would be easy to mount, and already have the triangle cut out. More expensive though. Examples here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-55150v and https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-5517001v

Anyway, that's my thinking at the moment. If anyone has any better ideas or links to manufacture I missed please let me know - this si the only thing holding up my build!

i9 9900k @ 5.1, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 w/ HC @ 2150, 32GB @ 3866, 970 Pro 1TB (DCS/Games)/970 Pro 512 (OS). WH Throttle w/ delta sim slew, Gunfighter Mk II MCG Pro, WarBRD + WH grip, MFG crosswinds, Valve Index
sk000tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Mr_Burns

That seat looks to me like its custom made, why dont you buy some decent foam and just make your own?

Car seats are on springs and weigh a lot and are not very customisable due to the fact they are a primary safety device in a vehicle.

If you ever take apart a office chair its only sponge/foam on plywood, you could use a mixture of both, cut and glue it to shape and then hide it all under a nice cover?
Mr_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:43 AM   #3
sk000tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burns View Post
That seat looks to me like its custom made, why dont you buy some decent foam and just make your own?

Car seats are on springs and weigh a lot and are not very customisable due to the fact they are a primary safety device in a vehicle.

If you ever take apart a office chair its only sponge/foam on plywood, you could use a mixture of both, cut and glue it to shape and then hide it all under a nice cover?

It's actually from an extra-330, unlimited class aerobatic plane with a very comfortable seating position. Certainly custom for the airplane, but I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

So, my thing on making it from scratch. I've had good office chairs and bad ones, and its a big difference. I feel like if I make it its more likely to be on the "bad one." side. If I use a cheap poly race seat I can always add foam to it, using the poly shell as a frame. And at least then I have the cover already made right?

Anyway, still looking... so if anyone happens to know of anything....

*edit - did you look at that seat? Its not a typical honda seat. Just a poly shell with a vinyl cover. They're race seats, usually for spring cars, so they don'[t have the high backs that most car race seats do.

i9 9900k @ 5.1, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 w/ HC @ 2150, 32GB @ 3866, 970 Pro 1TB (DCS/Games)/970 Pro 512 (OS). WH Throttle w/ delta sim slew, Gunfighter Mk II MCG Pro, WarBRD + WH grip, MFG crosswinds, Valve Index
sk000tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
Spitty

Try a car racing seat.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Plas...w=1366&bih=632

Spitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Goblin

You could make your own...
Here’s a pic of my old racing car seat, in which I made a center stick cut out, and my new seat.

Here’s the build thread for my VR pit and seat.
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/simbox-ng/6526/396

Here’s a thread for the conversion of a car seat to flightsim seat,
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/new-se...he-simbox/6105
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68638617-1EBB-4CB1-9582-A2DD8723051D.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	213811  
Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
RustBelt

Yea I'd say start with a cheap plastic Summit Drag bucket. At worst you're out what $40? You're cutting it up anyways so go cheap. You may need to in fill it when you cut the hole for the stick since it may be using the front lip for rigidity, or you may find it's shorter than you think and then you just need to make extensions AROUND the stick and not cut any hole at all.

What you should never do is RACE with them. Trust me as a LeMons racer, those things are worse than just sitting on a milk crate. But they make great stationary seat solutions.

I wouldn't even bother with the cover at first, you may find it's comfortable enough (but probably not) and if you do like it but want it cushier take it to an upholsterer. They can probably do you up a custom job that fits the stick hole for close to that cover's price.

Skip the Kirkey's unless you really hate your tailbone or want to spend a ton of money on upholstering. Did a race in a cheap Kirkey, back is too upright and the bottom has no dip. Good for a quick pass on the drag strip, but not so hot for a 2 hour stint.
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote