Why the nose is greenish? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
WildWeasel303

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Regardless if the radome is new, old, dirty or not, in no case there is a green hue.

I've seen plenty that have inherited a light red tint do to the amount of bugs/mosquitos they've nailed on approach. It wouldn't at all surprise me if some faded a light shade of green from certain outdoor conditions. Hell, my time at Kunsan AB exposed me to the ROKAF F-16's and they are definitely not a flat grey in color.

Now to the extent that is shown in the EA WIP DCS F-16, I think there's a little more fine tuning to make on the textures before they release so I really wouldn't stress out over it. We're still at minimum 2-3 months out from release.
System: Fractal Meshify C / Ryzen 2600x @ 4.1gHz / 16gb Trident Z 3000mHz / ROG Strix B-450F / Corsair H110i Pro / MSi Ventus OC RTX2060 / 1TB SSD / Corsair RM1000x / TrackIR 5 / Logitech X56 Rhino / Astro A40 TR+Mixamp
WildWeasel303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
LooseSeal

Oh man... last year I built a 1/32 scale F-16CJ and tried to do my best to make it as accurate as possible with correct research. Trying to figure out the colour of that radome took a while...

In the end, after consulting some rather obsessed fellows over at F-16.net and other sites, it seems they're all painted in the same tone to begin with, which is a shade of grey (can't remember the 'FS' number). And then the fading and weathering begins.

But, and I don't know if this is the same with all fighters (?), the cone was never repainted, due to the sensitivity of the radar equipment. I guess that it'll explain the huge variation you find in tones of aircraft based in different regions and subject to different forces of natures.
- Installed on SSD
- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-28; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR
LooseSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
Drotik

The radome is usually made out of glass fiber reinforced plastic because a non conductive material must be used. Same goes for antenna fairings. And as already said it is normally not allowed to apply any kind of paint because of possible blockage/distortion of the radar.
Drotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
Х-stounds
3rd Party Developer

I think that now is not the time to discuss the color of its fairing on the game screenshots, this is still WIP. Let's see what will happen when it is finished, or at least will be released in early access.
Х-stounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #15
Squiffy

Don't forget to take into account reflected light. Depending on the surrounding colors, like trees or dirt, concrete or sky, the model will reflect light according to the rendering engine. Matte or gloss will have some effect but it should be subtle and not look like a moss or algae coating. To me gray-er is better.

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.
Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #16
macrossMX

Even if the color looks a bit out of place for some people, it is actually miles better than the original color for the Block 1 which was black.
macrossMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #17
zhukov032186

I said something recently about people nit picking over random minutiae and here we have a 'concern thread' about the nose cone shading of a partially textured model. Exhibit A.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
ams999

Also something for the skinners - artistic grime removal

Last edited by ams999; 07-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.
ams999 is online now   Reply With Quote