How we setup our servers to auto restart DCS

I have decided to right up a How we did it style thread in a hope this may help a new squad in the future.

As we all know Dcs has a tendency to crash with various reasons. We were struggling with our servers remaining live 24/7 to accommodate all the regions we have, I came across the thread from Ciribob showing how you can load MP automatically and decided to give this a try.

This is a quick guild on how we managed to set up our server to ensure its always live & restarts when needed, im sure there are many ways but we found this was the easiest for us.

So what do you need to do:

1.Edit your server registry to stop (application error messages appearing)

2.Add & edit some Lua Files within dcs and the saved games folder (Courtesy of Ciribob)

3.Download restart on crash software

4.Set up and test

Once you have done these steps dcs will automatically restart your server and load the multiplayer server for you when a crash occurs as well as a system restart after a windows update

STEP 1 (stop the error message)

*Right Click the start icon and click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

*Locate and then click the subkey :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsWindows Error Reporting] "DontShowUI"=dword:00000001

*Once you have opened this please change the 0 to 1 and save.

425990676_dontshow.thumb.PNG.6c0a0ae373f8a7443e399ae1d4b317f3.PNG

STEP 2 (Edit the Lua's)

*Next your need to edit some Lua files - C:Eagle DynamicsDCS WorldMissionEditormodulesme_authorization.lua

And

*Create a file called dedicated.lua in C:Users<USER NAME>Saved GamesDCSConfig

FOLLOW STEPS 1-5 AS SHOWN HERE BY Ciribob

STEP 3

*download restart on crash (ROC) and install

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk5zcye7mj3fl36/RestartOnCrash-v1.5.1.zip?dl=0

STEP 4

Once you open ROC you need to tell it what do do:

*firstly click on settings and tick all the boxes, for the logs file simply create a txt file anywhere on your server and link to ROC (this will show any crashes and recoveries)

*click OK and return to the home screen.

roc0.PNG.9afcc1fe02a80d53c3ad34cd7f436bb7.PNG

*Then add dcs by clicking on the add button, locate the exe from the bin file within dcs.

*Copy the settings in the picture below and click OK.

roc1.PNG.d03f2b8626af02aa9aa16909aff15719.PNG

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO, now i recommend restarting the server and watch as dcs will restart via ROC and load the MP server using Ciribob coding.

Here is a video of roc and Ciribob's coding in action

please note i will not take any responsibility for the editing of the registry and only recommend experienced users do the above steps, also note when you update the server you will have to redo step 2.

If anyone needs help with this i am always happy to help, just ask

Thanks

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

• 1 year later...

im trying to do that but inst work... still work in 2018?

dedicated =

{

["enabled"] = false,

["name"] = "Server Player Name",

}

i put my server name in there right... annyway i try it in both ways and dindt work, if you can give some tip was helpfull,

i see this *Next your need to edit some Lua files - C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\MissionEditor\modules\me_authorization.lua* but dont find any instrutions, was just a mistake or i need to edit that file aswell?

Edited by enfarda

im trying to do that but inst work... still work in 2018?

dedicated =

{

["enabled"] = false,

["name"] = "Server Player Name",

}

i put my server name in there right... annyway i try it in both ways and dindt work, if you can give some tip was helpfull,

i see this *Next your need to edit some Lua files - C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\MissionEditor\modules\me_authorization.lua* but dont find any instrutions, was just a mistake or i need to edit that file aswell?

Yes you need to edit me_authorization.lua also. There is a new updated version somewhere on this forum of the lua scripts.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have a suggestion about using this with multiple server instances?

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Does anyone have a suggestion about using this with multiple server instances?

If you want use Restart ON Crash you just need to append in the ROC configuration in the execute command the -w parameter with the instance name, for example

"C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe -w server1"

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

If you want use Restart ON Crash you just need to append in the ROC configuration in the execute command the -w parameter with the instance name, for example

"C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe -w server1"

Yes, I have no problem restarting a single server with the command-line argument, but it seems to be that ROC doesn't differentiate between DCS.exe process instances.

Should I create a carbon copy of DCS.exe for the second hosted instance?

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Yes, I have no problem restarting a single server with the command-line argument, but it seems to be that ROC doesn't differentiate between DCS.exe process instances.

Should I create a carbon copy of DCS.exe for the second hosted instance?

Doesn't sound like a good option, but no other chance to make RestartOnCrash working since seems not able to select program based on the command line parameter, or window name, so it's impossibile to use it on multiple instances i think :(

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!