VR in 2.5

Burgo38

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. I was really excited to play DCS 2.5 on my new Vive Pro pushed by an i7 8700k at 4.8GHz, 16GB RAM and 1080ti. I searched the forums for some moderate settings and followed the recommendations but sadly the game is unplayable for me.

It seems to be capped at 45FPS with occasional dips into the low 40s, but it is full of judders and occasionally reverts to the load screen. I'm really disappointed because the old version of DCS used to run great on my Oculus Rift and 980Ti.

Am I missing something or is there a way to revert to the old game that seemed to be better optimised for VR? Appreciate any help.

First try the default VR settings and PD at 1.5, then go up form there, I'm only running a 1070. You should be able to hold 45, I can hold 45 with my 1070.

Don't expect to run huge massive missions in DCS with high settings in VR, I only play small mission when using VR. Saying that, I did play quite a large mission by lowing the settings.

Compare what your seeing to this thread Burgo38.

Your Vive Pro would also up the spec because of the Rez and put a little more pressure on your hardware, you need to find the right balance here, DCS was not designed from the ground up, like many very small VR titles on steam and the oculus vr store.

I have the rift, I read here somewhere that you can run a type of oculus asw for the vive I believe? As you can rarely hold 90hz.

Hi

I just bought Vive Pro, I didn't realise there's no ASW in Vive, I came from Oculus.

Does it means we have to put all settings low to have 90 fps and play ?

Thanks

No, SteamVR has "Allow asynchronous reprojection". Make sure this is checked.

It's in the "Settings-Developers" tab of steamVR. Also, make sure "Allow interleaved reprojection" and "Enable Always-on Reprojection" are unchecked, of the same tab.

You can play with these differing setting to get an ideal of how they interact with each other and affect performance in DCS World.

The quotes above are from the Vive Pro thread, perhaps ask more there too.:)

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. I was really excited to play DCS 2.5 on my new Vive Pro pushed by an i7 8700k at 4.8GHz, 16GB RAM and 1080ti. I searched the forums for some moderate settings and followed the recommendations but sadly the game is unplayable for me.

It seems to be capped at 45FPS with occasional dips into the low 40s, but it is full of judders and occasionally reverts to the load screen. I'm really disappointed because the old version of DCS used to run great on my Oculus Rift and 980Ti.

Am I missing something or is there a way to revert to the old game that seemed to be better optimised for VR? Appreciate any help.

Hello !

Same here, I got a Vive Pro with 6850k@4.4Ghz/32gb/m2ssd/1080 sli and it's quite unplayable. It's really sad because sensations are here but it's too ugly. It's seams defered shading and antialiasing are not friends... without SLI we will wait years before having a good single card. Even a gtx 2080 will be far for what we need...

Envoyé de mon SM-T820 en utilisant Tapatalk

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

First try the default VR settings and PD at 1.5, then go up form there, I'm only running a 1070. You should be able to hold 45, I can hold 45 with my 1070

That's it, pixel density. I forgot to mention it. It's very important that you start with a pixel density of 1.0 and then increase it step by step and see if the game is still playable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all,

The experience in VR is not great for me as well in 2.5...the least to say! I am on a 1080ti and 7700 oc at 5GHz. Performance is poor, frames are low and visuals appear to be blurred with the new deferred shading. There is promise for betterment with Vulcan implementation but who knows when that will materialise. AA is a No-No as with deferred it really affects the performance. We all looking forward for some substantial patch to give us some betterment.

Edited by pagadi-zaiet

The experience in VR is not great for me as well in 2.5...the least to say! I am on a 1080ti and 7700 oc at 5GHz. Performance is poor, frames are low and visuals appear to be blurred with the new deferred shading. There is promise for betterment with Vulcan implementation but who knows when that will materialise. AA is a No-No as with deferred it really affects the performance. We all looking forward for some substantial patch to give us some betterment.

I get good performance on my vive with 4x MSSA and 1.3 PD. But to be honest that is on helicopters and on missions I have created with very few assets loaded in. Viggen is unplayable. Bombings and just bombs, lag the game into steam VR loading screens still, and campaigns are best avoided due to the same overall problem and performance. It's still a great experience that I enjoy immensely, but DCS now has major competition from the other sim in which no content is off limits, and every mission and campaign is open to the player and performs very well. A combat flight sim in VR in which FPS tanks durring bombings has really got serious problems....

Sad thing but I dont think DCS as a whole experience is really quite ready for VR yet. What I mean is the VR performace demands exceed the reach of even the most powerful of computers, and I never feel like putting myself through the dissapointment of even trying a campaign. Too much of the game is off limits due to poor performance. I really hope I will be proven wrong, but I just get the feeling that as these problems still persist in the release version, they wont be fixed at least for a long time. God I hope I'm wrong!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

SLI is the key !

I see what I have with one 1080 for 2 eyes, I am pretty sure that one 1080/eye should be a awesome experience

Edited by paradox64

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

SLI is the key !

I see what I have with one 1080 for 2 eyes, I am pretty sure that one 1080/eye should be a awesome experience

Well apart from the fact that neither key VR supplier supports

SLI.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I was literally going to take my first dive into VR and purchase a Samsung HMD Odyssey tomorrow. I’m really glad I ran across this thread first, my plans are now officially on hold.

:(

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I was literally going to take my first dive into VR and purchase a Samsung HMD Odyssey tomorrow. I’m really glad I ran across this thread first, my plans are now officially on hold.

I take advantage of your message to clarify my previous post : I just bought a vive pro and I never really tried vr before. It's still something incredible ... the feeling of flying through the mountains is just amazing. Sometimes I have the impression to take G Soon as I put the Vive, I can't take it off It's really frustrating to fight against fps. A natively vr dcs would really be a big jump in the mainstream simulation industry. The vive pro (the only I know) have great capabilities. When I try higher supersampling settings image quality is very very good.

Maybe a 3rd party software tool will help in the futur but I don't regret and I will keep it.

Edited by paradox64

SLI is the key !

As far as I know DCS doesn't take advantage of SLI, even in VR. I wish I'm wrong though...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as I know DCS doesn't take advantage of SLI, even in VR. I wish I'm wrong though...
No it was a wish but with some tweaks I get better results with 2 cards than 1 but not in vr.

Hi all,

Hi,

Try to let 1.0 pid in the game and do settings in steamvr in place.

Check you are in direct mode, override supersampling between 150 and 200.

Check in developer tab allow asynchrone reprojection is check and uncheck allow interleaved reprojection. Uncheck perf heuristic too. I seams it work better like that

Just turn MSAA off if you have deferred shading on - I can't see any appreciable difference in fidelity with it on or off from within the headset, but you take a massive performance hit. I'm on a Samsung Odyssey with a 1080ti and I have smooth gameplay / fine graphics (with a hefty amount of SS).

I agree too for MSAA off but I let AF to 8 or 16. It doesn't cost a lot of perfs

Edit:

I just noticed signifiant improvement in vr by recreating shaders !

Edited by paradox64

I agree with the above poster. MSAA off with deferred shading. I get pretty solid vr performance, and definitely no disadvantage with MSAA off. In fact, I'm not running any in game AA.

How did you unlock the vsync to the headset? Your screenshots are showing high FPS in VR, so far I haven't been able to get out of 45 FPS. I don't think my card is capable of running much higher than 45 FPS, but it certainly feels like it is locked in place.

How are you getting 93 FPS or 317 FPS? You're not locked to Vsync of HMD which is usually 45 or 90.

I have VR on a system that isn't as good as the guy posting earlier. Our experiences in VR are opposite. I have a 1060 6gb, an I7 7700k and 16 gb ram. His 1080ti should outperform my 1060 by leaps and bounds. Yet I am able to enjoy it in VR with my lesser card. I can play campaigns, they have all loaded fine for me, I've even paid for them and I'm fine with it. I enjoy playing with the mission editor and I'm finding that the poor performing missions for the large part have one thing in common with my poorly performing experiments in the mission editor. I've paid no mind to resource usage and have litterally littered the map with junk all over the place that doesn't need to be there. If I make something imagining I'm making a war, but you don't see most of it because you only see what's in your view. That was a HUGE waste of resources, and it effected the performance.

VR is resource heavy, and it really only lags for me on poorly designed missions. However, I have not tried any missions with bombing yet, so that may very well be an issue I just haven't experienced yet.

How did you unlock the vsync to the headset? Your screenshots are showing high FPS in VR, so far I haven't been able to get out of 45 FPS. I don't think my card is capable of running much higher than 45 FPS, but it certainly feels like it is locked in place.

How are you getting 93 FPS or 317 FPS? You're not locked to Vsync of HMD which is usually 45 or 90.

I don't know that I'm doing anything special, though I have ASW disabled by default via the oculus debug tool. If you don't know where that is, it's in C (or wherever you have it): program files/ oculus / support. I disable Steam prior to launching DCS. I run FXAA in Nvidia Control Panel, Anti-Aliasing off, maximum pre-rendered frames to application controlled, power management at prefer maximum, and in the last line virtual reality pre rendered frames, I have set to application controlled. I also habitually hit ctrl+1 when I enter the cockpit. Edit to add: I also have set the resolution on the in game controls to 1920x1080 instead of the native resolution for vr.

Edited by MurderOne
add info

Sorry, no cool signature here.

I don't know that I'm doing anything special, though I have ASW disabled by default via the oculus debug tool. If you don't know where that is, it's in C (or wherever you have it): program files/ oculus / support. I disable Steam prior to launching DCS. I run FXAA in Nvidia Control Panel, Anti-Aliasing off, maximum pre-rendered frames to application controlled, power management at prefer maximum, and in the last line virtual reality pre rendered frames, I have set to application controlled. I also habitually hit ctrl+1 when I enter the cockpit. Edit to add: I also have set the resolution on the in game controls to 1920x1080 instead of the native resolution for vr.

Thanks for telling me what you do. What Video card do you have? I have a 1060 6GB and it's probably pretty close to its limit at 45 FPS. I use Oculus Tool Tray and force ASW off because it makes things look weird on my headset.