LF advice on HOT-3 optimum firing range - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
Sephyrius

- There's an "auto-collective" keybinding - which I believe doesn't exist in reality - that allows you to lock or unlock the collective input during auto-hover for easy climbing/dipping while hovering. It's just there to make up for doing 2 jobs at once.

- The missiles will launch at an upward angle initially, which allows you to fire at targets in cases where the Viviane camera is able to see the target but the rest of the heli is hidden from view. This allows you to take out pretty much anything - I've taken out a combined convoy of Tunguskas, Tors, Shilkas and T90s that way - but the drawback is that the missile also drops pretty low to compensate for being shot at that upward angle, so at shallow hills it will bound into the ground.

- Some tanks can fire ATGM missiles through the barrel which have considerable distance, and standard weaponry from tanks, IFVs and so on are often dangerous, so if not facing anti-air missile threats it can definitely be better to fire on the move rather than stationary and do run-ins rather than pop-ups.

- When not being slewed the camera has sort of a 'locking' function that keeps it pointing in the same direction, useful for when on the move and when the camera jitters around alot.

- Trees, at least from my limited 2.5 experience thus far (with broken FFB and no centering on the FFB stick when that functionality is turned off in DCS I can't fly the Gazelle at all) the trees are good for cover when moving, but bad to attack from, because the AI still spots you instantly through tiny gaps in the foliage with their magical powers.

Last edited by Sephyrius; 02-17-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Robert31178

"- There's an "auto-collective" keybinding - which I believe doesn't exist in reality - that allows you to lock or unlock the collective input during auto-hover for easy climbing/dipping while hovering. It's just there to make up for doing 2 jobs at once."

You can already go up and down with relative ease if you are in auto hover, even easier if you have the ship slaved to the camera because then you don't even need to make an anti-torque input.
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert31178 View Post

You can already go up and down with relative ease if you are in auto hover, even easier if you have the ship slaved to the camera because then you don't even need to make an anti-torque input.
I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

The 'auto-collective' binding toggles between being able to go up and down at all, or remaining level with zero input required. If it's set to remain level it will ignore any of your collective input.

(In reality the pilot would maintain altitude while the gunner does the target acquisition, but in-game it's a death sentence because while you're busy selecting a missile and slewing the viviane around the heli slowly crept up just 2 meters and is now getting shot out of the sky.)

In auto-hover pedal (anti-torque) input is also automated, even when slewing to heli to the camera.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtrap View Post
I think what I really need is a 2nd gunner in multiplay. That way I can concentrate on maneuvering while the gunner takes out targets.
Good luck with that. For sure it's great fun in the Gazelle with a buddy. Just bear in mind that the multi crew functionality is still incomplete and suffers from some annoying bugs. In particular, the camera view that the gunner sees will be slightly out of sync with what the pilot can see. The pilot's view seems to be the one that's usually correct. So when I'm flying with a buddy (I usually do the missiles) I'll get the camera roughly on target then ask the pilot to confirm whether it's a good lineup from his perspective (and realign if necessary). Teamwork.

Also the gunner manages the radios in multicrew but that's broken too, because the frequencies don't match between gunner and pilot, and the pilot's is (apparently) the one that needs to be correct .. but he can't manage the radios with a buddy in too.

Lots more issues with multicrew, but still it's good fun. Looking forward to seeing lots more development of this feature because it does make the Gazelle stand out as having great potential. If only the Huey had it!
epoch is offline   Reply With Quote