Dear ED! No love for KA-50?

Devrim

they do give love to the ka 50.. it wasn't so long ago that there was no engine EGT limits..

they got added as a complete surprise to bring it into line with the MI-8.

about a year ago or so?

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they do give love to the ka 50.. it wasn't so long ago that there was no engine EGT limits..

they got added as a complete surprise to bring it into line with the MI-8.

about a year ago or so?

Sure you're not referring to the UH-1H, and only about a couple months ago?

I'm fairly certain I've killed, fried and frozen my engines in the Ka-50 long before the DCS UH-1H ever saw the light of day. :music_whistling: :lol:

Msalma, I could see your point if DCS followed a traditional game format. Why work on Call of Duty 17 when everybody is buying Call of Duty 18. Airframes in DCS are not only task specific, but persistent. How old a module is does not really have anything to do its viability in the game. When a new airframe is introduced there will obviously be a sales spike from the current DCS customer base. However, for someone late to the DCS game like myself, I am looking at what airframes interest me, when it was released has nothing to do with my decision. The DCS business model gives completed modules very long legs in sales. My first purchase just a few years ago was Blackshark 2, followed by A10C, then flaming Cliffs. 20 modules later I am part of the growing DCS customer base, buying the latest modules only because I don’t have them. My point is the old modules were new to me, and they are new to every other customer who is new DCS. People who are just getting into DCS and purchase Blackshark as there first module may be disappointed and judge DCS unfairly and not become part of their loyal customer base. Expanding a customer base is the only way a company can survive. So DCS has three choices. 1) Reduce the price of the older modules like flaming cliffs, so customers know they are getting a budget model. 2) Upgrade the current module for free and continue to sell at full price. 3) Upgrade the current module, charge for the upgrade, and continue to sell the upgraded model for full price. I think they have to pick one, and it would be in their best business interest to do so. DCS is like a Crack Dealer, they offer a taste for free, get you hooked, next thing you know you are hovering over your keyboard pressing F5, or buying modules that aren’t even out yet. Of course, it exercises your mind instead of destroying it, and is about the cheapest thing out there for personal entertainment.

Just my thoughts.

+1 well said.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

StrongHarm, I don’t even know if you could call it “the long game”. How did that meeting for their business model go … “Let’s find a software revenue stream with a small market share, low price point, difficult to research and code, heavily dependent on the latest hardware, discriminating and demanding customer base, I got it, let’s make a digital combat simulator.” Yea, I would agree that many of contributors are there because of there passion for it, and we do get the benefit of their passion. The crack dealer comment was in jest, true ,but in jest. And your candy crush comment is right on. But my wife does get upset about how when she knocks out a block of candy that the acceleration of gravity is not properly modeled and the falling candy reaches terminal velocity instantaneously.

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

StrongHarm, I don’t even know if you could call it “the long game”. How did that meeting for their business model go … “Let’s find a software revenue stream with a small market share, low price point, difficult to research and code, heavily dependent on the latest hardware, discriminating and demanding customer base, I got it, let’s make a digital combat simulator.” Yea, I would agree that many of contributors are there because of there passion for it, and we do get the benefit of their passion. The crack dealer comment was in jest, true ,but in jest. And your candy crush comment is right on. But my wife does get upset about how when she knocks out a block of candy that the acceleration of gravity is not properly modeled and the falling candy reaches terminal velocity instantaneously.
Have in mind that many people have spent a lot of money in DCS, it is not 50 bucks for the sim, it is 50 per module. I have them all and most of them not on sale. You do the math.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I could only guess, but DCS and their third-party developers must be profitable. I am not saying they are philanthropist for the flight sim community, just that there are probably software markets with more upside. You are right, the dedicated DCS base does spend a lot if you view it as all one title. A module is still cheaper than a round of golf or dinner for 2 though.

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I have them all and most of them not on sale. You do the math.

And then you do even more math.

DCS: ((50 $ * module_count) + HOTAS + Headtracker + Rudders + Stuff) / flight_hours = X

Go to the movies with wife/GF/family: (N * admission + N * drinks + N/2 * popcorn) / 120 minutes = Y

As long as you keep your flight hours up, X > Y, and thus DCS is a lot cheaper than many other hobbies. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Sure, it worth every penny. My point was that they are most likely profitable enough.

For me personally I would not mind to re-buy full price ka-50 or A-10 or any other module getting a major update. The same way people buy fifa15 fifa16 and so on.

I just want my favorite modules to look as good as new released ones because viggen or harrier cannot replace A-10 or Ka-50.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And then you do even more math.

DCS: ((50 $ * module_count) + HOTAS + Headtracker + Rudders + Stuff) / flight_hours = X

Go to the movies with wife/GF/family: (N * admission + N * drinks + N/2 * popcorn) / 120 minutes = Y

As long as you keep your flight hours up, X > Y, and thus DCS is a lot cheaper than many other hobbies. :thumbup:

you forgot to add "+ wife (8 exponent) walks in on every flight night at the wrong time causing the whole mission to go to $hit" = BS = priceless. :doh:

• Like 1

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I just want my favorite modules to look as good as new released ones because viggen or harrier cannot replace A-10 or Ka-50.

I think that sums this whole thread up well.

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

The Ka50 is ugly! but it will kill anything out there, if you know the systems and how to operate it properly. I don't think ED has forgotten what started it all for them. They always add little improvements/challenges to the Ka50 with each update. They just aren't very noticeable for most people. I've been flying the Shark since the day it came out, and to see how far it has come is amazing.

It may look like the same old cockpit, same old gauges, etc. But it's the Shark, it's ugly, it's mean, and it's the bully of DCS. It will make even the most seasoned fighter pilot rage quit when they get hit with a couple Vikhrs!

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Regardless of your opinions, it's an old module producing no revenue anymore. And that means ED probably won't do anything, unless you pay them extra. Are you willing to do that?
Why not? I'd of course pay for it, but did we pay for Caucasus which is older than Ka-50?

Why didn't ED require payment for Caucasus? I'm sure there are reasons but improving the map was an obligation for today's gaming technology. So, Ka-50?

Ok. Let's wait and see what ED will do about it.

By the way, I would be glad for any official post here. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Thanks Devrim for pointing this out. Ka-50 definitely deserves to be put up to standards and should be.

Unless ED wants to see a range of "lock on" style graphics aircraft flying with brand new shiny ones in the future.

And now for some "wisdom":

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

If you put a rotten apple in a basket of beautiful apples... all of them become rotten after a while.

Failure is the mother of all success.

Ok.

Isn't it the time to re-new the cockpit textures of Ka-50?

We fly with Ricardo's awesome cockpits for years but, even they are based on an old texturing technology. Because of the absence of specular map texture lighting is imbalanced and button lights are weak.

Maybe we can say those for A-10C, too.

Especially with Deffered Shading feature, cockpit looks bad, and this wipes the magic of this beautiful sim.

So; Is there any plan to do something about this issue?

Thanks a lot.

Whenever I complain, I'm told I'm too sarcastic and get another warning!

I would pay an update fee if DCS does a good job at it with improvements.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The KA-50 has stood the test of time and is still an impressive module. I am hopeful that ED will update the cockpit lighting.

DCS's future is not built around one shiny new module but on the strengths of all of the modules combined in my opinion.

Either way I think it's good that customers express they're interest in seeing it updated.

• Like 1

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

Nice logic.

OK, since you clearly proved beyond any shadow of doubt how they just absolutely _have_ to put in work and not charge for it, how about saving your breath and not accuse others, since we're unable to disagree with such supreme logic anyway?

PS. Not willing to bet for them putting in any substantial work regardless, unless folks pay for it. But as proven by yourself already I'm stupid, whereas you seemingly are not ;)

PPS. And that's it from my part. Not my war anyway, one way or another.

• Like 1

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

FYI - They have acknowledged the lighting issue specifically in the KA-50 bug section and said it has been reported with "high priority".

None of us know what that means exactly, but... It may mean they'll re-do the cockpit. No sense arguing about it until we see what they do I reckon :).

Here's the link :) -

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201122

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)