VR users...question.

ny3d1

For the Oculus rift they are designed to allow you to still wear your glasses. I didn't find that particularly comfortable although it did work. So I purchased a set of prescription insert lenses which are really good (and I'm VERY short sighted). There are several suppliers if you search the weird wide web. I believe they are available for the Vive as well.

I wear glasses but they are not very strong (slightly nearsighted, -1.5) and I just wear my rift without 'em. No problems at all. My GF who has strong glasses (like -7 or so) must wear glasses in the rift if she wants to see.

Be sure to ask your optimetrist to measure your IPD (interpupillary distance) as having that set right makes a lot of difference to VR.

Even if your glasses are so strong you can't use VR without 'em, get some custom made lenses for your oculus. Flying in VR is revolutionary, far beyond what trackIR brought to the game.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

I am thinking about purchasing one of those cool VR headsets. However, I wear glasses and I don't want to spend $500.00 on something I can't use. Will I still be able to use them?? Thank you.

I do wear glasses. But I do not need them for close-up. Only for the distance. Besides this, I tried on my Rift and the glass front will touch the lens of the rift inside. Was not a good idea.

I understand you can have some 3rd party distance frame, which puts you away a bit further from the glass indie the rift.

Considering the price of the combination i suggest to go for a Vive, which natively can cope with glasses

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Just remember, the Rift focus distance is not your reading distance. Can’t remember exactly, but I think it’s 7-8 feet.

I need glasses for reading, but not for using VR.

Also, the your IPD is easily determined by the setting in Oculus software with the vertical and horizontal bars test.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have bad eyesight since elementary school days and wear them all the time. I just bought a new pair of glasses right before getting my Rift. As mentioned above, depending on how tight you have your Rift, the glasses and touch the lenses of the Rift. In my case, I ended up scratching both my glasses and Rift lenses... Being retired, I don't have a lot of spare cash and I can't afford to fix my glasses or Rift and I see these scratches every day I use them... kind of kicking myself in hindsight. Now I adjusted my Rift so it's not so tight on my face and they no longer touch. Wish I saw a thread like this one, or had the brains to ask the question before buying/using, but over all, I'm still really happy with the experience... How's THAT for screwed up for ya!?! ;)

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

I strongly recommend an aftermarket faceplate with built in prescription lenses. Using glasses directly will depend on it fitting and will scratch the lens if mishandled. Perhaps contacts will be better to avoid damaging. It certainly is possible, but I no longer allow people to use my rift wearing glasses after it got a scratch. An aftermarket solution will cost you $80 or less perhaps.

I am slightly short sighted -1.25 and I found the oculus while useable without glasses the image was not as sharp as what it could be. As imacken said the focus distance is some feet away. I have a very big head so wearing glasses and the headset was not an option.

So I removed the arms on my old pair of thin frame glasses and blu tacked them inside the headset with just a few mm's between the sets of lenses. This is much more comfortable for me and I can see so much better in VR. A bit of a hack job but its fully functional and costed me next to nothing.

If you are short-sighted you will need to wear glasses. I have no problem with my Lenovo Explorer, but I found the Rift a bit more cramped.

I strongly recommend an aftermarket faceplate with built in prescription lenses. Using glasses directly will depend on it fitting and will scratch the lens if mishandled. Perhaps contacts will be better to avoid damaging. It certainly is possible, but I no longer allow people to use my rift wearing glasses after it got a scratch. An aftermarket solution will cost you $80 or less perhaps.

I agree. I am waiting for mine, and it seems an effective and relatively cheap solution.