Advise, RTX2080TI or New PC with 1080ti

metzger

my 1080Ti (OC) is @99%-100% (Task Manager) most of the time while flying in VR...

...I'm curious what this would be on the RTX 2080Ti with the same settings.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

my 1080Ti (OC) is @99%-100% (Task Manager) most of the time while flying in VR...

...I'm curious what this would be on the RTX 2080Ti with the same settings.

None of us will know until Sept 17th.

Rumors go anywhere from only 6% increase in rasterization to 30-35%. It also depends on if you are taking into effect that nvidia changed the model numbers- so a 2080 is comparable to a 1080ti. 2080ti is a Titan, etc. The high rumors are comparing straight model numbers (2080ti to 1080ti) but I don’t think this is accurate. The 2080ti costs what the Titan cost at launch, so I prefer to compare the 2080 to the 1080ti (which is where you get the smaller 6% rumors from.)

Once the NDA is lifted for the first reviewers on Sept 17th, we will all find out.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should go for RTX 2080ti.

To see a reflection of HUD in the eyes of the Pilot you are trying to shot down with AMRAM, priceless.

I highly doubt we will see ray trace in DCS any time soon especially in VR considering they barely could achieve 50-60 fps on hd monitor for highly optimised games. Since this was the main focus of the nvidia presentation, I doubt raw power will be that more compared to 1080ti. I bet on 10-15% on benchmark which for dcs will be even less.

And I will get the rtx later and sell the 1080 if worth it.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I highly doubt we will see ray trace in DCS any time soon especially in VR considering they barely could achieve 50-60 fps on hd monitor for highly optimised games. Since this was the main focus of the nvidia presentation, I doubt raw power will be that more compared to 1080ti. I bet on 10-15% on benchmark which for dcs will be even less.

And I will get the rtx later and sell the 1080 if worth it.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

That’s my plan. 1080s here continue to fall in price. Only question is if I should snap one up before the RTX launch or wait a bit longer. I’m actually nervous that people won’t sell their 1080s once RTX goes live, so prices might actually go up. So much speculation!

TJ

This is just usual Ngreedia staff. You have to pay 50% more for 30% better performance no matter which card you buying.

Here with RTX 20xx series they just demand even more and all this for technology built in DX. This is similar like it was with Phisyx in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like that new rig was the best bet.

-2 to +9% performance gain old model to new model. (That’s comparing the 1080TI to the 2080. Remember that nvidia changed their model line up for the 20xx series. The 2080 is the old 1080ti. The 2080ti is the old Titan. The Titan RTX is the old Quadro.)

Even if you compare model to model 1080ti to 2080ti, you are seeing a 70% price increase for a roughly 20-25% performance improvement.

Good luck with your new rig!

TJ

Thanks all for the replies.

Decided to go for a complete new system HP Omen 880-162ng. It should arrive by the end of September. Can't wait :)

Good call. 4790 will work hard with DCS and you can always update your card at a later date. 1080TI is a fine card. You are at a disadvantage with 4790 not K.

I go down a slightly different route, I upgrade rather than replace. I still have significant headroom on my OC 4790k 4.5ghz running at 15 - 20% utilisation, albeit draw distance setting is high, not ultra.

I am replacing my poor old, hugely OC 980TI with a 2080Ti and hoping to see the rumoured and synthetic benchmark 50% VR boost over 1080ti.

Either way I will see 100% over my 980, so for me it makes good sense.

As for my rig, next upgrade planned is CPU, board and RAM. I am saving for CPU and praying for Vulkan.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.